Old buddy getting old

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The real task, going forward, will be prevention if possible. Looking into one of those "lion cut" comb things. If anyone has recommendations, let me know.
Are you looking for something to keep the problem areas short, but not shaved to the skin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave , user @Purrfect Meow mentioned the Wahl Bravura. I have two sets and I couldn't do my job without them. But, they are pricey.
Arco® is another option.
(There is a Mini-Arco version that is less expensive, but be sure that you're getting a 5 in 1 adjustable blade vs. a fixed blade that is a #30, which is short enough that clipper burn could be a possibility.)
Look for something with a #10 if you choose a clipper with one blade. Andis is a great brand.
The 5 in 1's are really nice because they go from a #9 all the way to a #40, and most come with clipper combs which will do nothing for tangles or mats, but are nice if you'd like to "blend" the area after shaving out problem spots.
No matter what you choose, be sure to keep checking the blade on your palm as the shorter the blade, the quicker they heat up and hot blades can cause all kinds of problems.
What brand of clippers do you have, as well as the blade brand and number?
I got Andis with no. 10 blades, which you recommended. So far I’m learning, just a big slower than I (and Big Boy) would like.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took Big Boy to the vet's last Wednesday.

BB's skinnier and bonier than ever. He's lost more weight; now he's just above 8 pounds, which compared to his original weight of about 25 is skeletal. He had a UTI, which the vet gave him anti-bio for. He felt better right away. (He was having a pee-spell.)

Vet used the "E-word" on Wednesday, too. :bawling2:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy felt good enough to climb up into his favorite roosting place, a partially filled laundry basket.

That pale patch on the right near his back feet and tail is where the vet removed a big mat. I'm removing more, bit by bit.

63325907-1612-4FEB-99A4-DC8B775F73BB.jpeg
CF01C3CB-B7D1-4AB4-BCAF-B0B4399DE7B7.jpeg

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't remember what his eating habits are, but is he still eating and happy to do so? When Sarah got very thin from her hyper-T, I started giving her a lunch and a full meal before bed along with her usual breakfast and dinner. It really helped put some weight back on her.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember what his eating habits are, but is he still eating and happy to do so? When Sarah got very thin from her hyper-T, I started giving her a lunch and a full meal before bed along with her usual breakfast and dinner. It really helped put some weight back on her.
So far, he's still losing weight. Good point, he has been asking for more food lately, and I've been giving it to him. Fancy Feast Kitten and the like. As noted in another thread, the vet thinks the end is near. But, so far, he's still our buddy.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So far, he's still losing weight. Good point, he has been asking for more food lately, and I've been giving it to him. Fancy Feast Kitten and the like. As noted in another thread, the vet thinks the end is near. But, so far, he's still our buddy.
Kitten food is what I gave Sarah at bedtime, and she sure looked forward to it. I'd let him eat what he wants, when he wants. :)

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty boy!!! So sorry to hear he's struggling.
Thank you!

It's been a good number of years with him.

He'll be the second kitty I've lost to old age system failure; in the past other kitties got eaten by coyotes. Guess I'm a better pet daddy than before.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all the usual media chatter . . .

. . . the latest Big Boy Report! (Sorry, no bubble-headed bleach-blonde . . . )

Big Boy is still alive, and bonier than ever. But sweet as can be and eating a lot. I've been giving him a number of cans of cat food every day.

He's spending more time out in the living room and less in the bedroom, which might be a good sign. He even bolted outside over the weekend, though I bolted after him and hauled him back in.

He's gotten very vocal, too, yowling and howling for attention, more food, sit on my lap.

Chipping away at the mats . . . .

Still my buddy!

Last edited: