Newborn kitten of 8 days old having pimples on head?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, will do =)

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
guys as shes 18 days today. Do you think i can try if shell eat briquettes? I put them in formula to soak and then id make a sauce from them like baby food. Id smash them so theres no pieces. Can i do it?

She smelled when i did and dipped her nose in bowl but of course there was milk and she got it on her nose and mouth and started coughing like crazy. So if i can try giving her this smashed briquettes how would i give. In bottle or spread it on my finger and try to make her lick? I didn't want her to choke again. And i wanna be sure when shed eat they wouldnt make her choke even when smashed like sauce?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The extreme earliest she might try to taste something from a dish would be 3 1/2 weeks, that's the very soonest, and will take another week or more to master it to stop using the bottle completely.

Mentally she is not developed enough to eat from a dish now.

If you don't think she is getting full enough you can sprinkle some baby cereal in her bottle of milk too, give it more body and keep her full a bit longer.

Just need to adjust the nipple so it will be able to pass through.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So youre saying i shouldnt even try? Like even it could be harmful to her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you need to wait until the kitten is at least 4 weeks old. As Catwoman said, the kitten is not developed enough to be able to eat on its own yet.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm so im thinking i shouldnt even try next Thursday? Shell be 3 weeks and 2 days then
I wanted to try to make it a bit easier for my bf to make her used to solids because im flying to my country for exams and hes coming over 10 days after me. So hell have to care of her 2 weeks after me alone and then one week well both be gone together in another country. So we want to make sure shes able to eat herself by then

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, they really begin eating on their own between 4 and 5 weeks, but most still like the bottle as well. Kittens with their moms begin weaning around 6 weeks, but even that is a process and takes time. Your boyfriend should try when she's 4 weeks, but it really needs to be very mushy. You can try putting formula in a dish then too, and see whether she will lap at it. They usually don't just begin feeding themselves entirely overnight. And you'll need to introduce the litter box around 4 weeks as well. They get better at all of this around 6 weeks.

I know you must go away, so knowing that she will not be as independent as you'd prefer, can you leave her with someone who you trust to give her lots of attention and care while you're gone? Because she'll need it.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a possibility that the babies if they are all healthy they might be able to "try" and see if they will self-feed. as sarthur2 states it is a slow process. I had 3 babies we picked up at about 5 to 6 weeks or so. We brought the kittens home and my roommate bottle fed and then took and tried self feeding they did pick up pretty fast but I know they were over 5 weeks old.

Also as suggested have someone that can leave them with when you are out of country. How long will you be gone?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw @catwoman707 what did u mean by baby cereal like whiskas junior briquettes?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, Gerber plain rice cereal for human babies, but mixed into the kitten formula. Might help fill the tummy a bit more.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the goal is to get her to eat on her own then place a small amount on your finger and let her lick it off. Start small and then with the bowl near by, actually you will want a low bowl or plate that she can reach the food, Then as she starts eating off your finger then lead her to the food on the plate or bowl. Watch out as she starts eating she will walk on the plate until she gets the idea to eat it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is simply too young. Sorry. You really might consider finding an alternative while you're away, it will be during some real changes and growing, and it's also approaching a time that she really needs a sibling of same age to interact with.

Without any sibs at 3 weeks old is when the very beginnings of kitten interactions and play starts. Every few days it advances, by 4 weeks old you will see them lightly playing, like tagging each other, etc, then soon after it advances into mild wrestling, this is how they learn to let go of the one on the bottom when she screams, the one on top stops, they separate, then do this again, it becomes rougher and rougher play, but it's a whole process of cat to cat interacting, and without this, it effects her interactions with cats for the rest of her life.

At 3 1/2 weeks they will begin testing out a litterbox, 3 1/2-4 weeks might show interest in tasting food from a dish, they can become fully weaned by 5 weeks, but all of these things are developing, and while you can push them a bit sooner and might have some success, it is not so common, as they mentally are just not there yet.

Yes, baby cereal added to her bottle for volume.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As it appears that you planned on the Kitten suviving for a whole week with out anyone. I hope you have some one you can ask to care for the kitten for the week you both are gone. As catwoman707 states the kitten is to young to fend for herself for 1 week.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here i am again =) i figured she wont eat on her own yes. But what i did now is i crushed whiskas junior briquettes to almost dust and i mixed them with formula in a bowl. Ill try giving her with my.finger. if not can i make her drink it from bottle? If therss any pieces left theyre not bigger than 2mm and she can swallow it or? She wont choke on it or sth i mean

About mates. My boyfriends uncle has 2 kittens too. He found them 2 weeks b4 we found Warrior. So as for playibg and that week when we are both absent could we give him to her to also develop that playing sense or would 6 week kittens dominate her and could hurt her while playing?
Either way we can give her to him as only his dad will stay at home and we arent sure he knows to care of her as good as the uncle whos doing that already for other two kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her to the uncle with the other 2 kittens and let her socialize, and let him care for her. He will understand her needs and can feed her if she is not eating well on her own by then, which she probably won't be. He will know because he has been caring for two kittens already, and you can fill him in. And she will learn a lot from the other kittens and likely enjoy herself fully!

Please do not give her crushed morsels mixed with formula in the bottle. She may choke. She can try that mixture only from a dish at her age. We have mentioned that she is too young for all of this. She's a week or two away. I realize you want to make it easy on her caregiver, but that is backward. The caregiver must make it easy for the kitten.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now she drank this briquettes mixed in formula thru injection. She didnt know to lick when i put on her mouth. I think she didnt develop this sense yet?

However she drank 4ml of this now. Its enough i think right?
So can she drink this a few times a.day and her formula regular milk. How should we schedule this?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 but she drank this without problem. Even she gulped at it. She liked it i think. I crushed it so much there was almost dust from it and soaked for an hr in formula
Shes 3 weeks today btw

Yes we would give but wont this 2 week older kittens be too strong for her? I mean can she play with them without getting hurt? Shell be 4 when theyll be 6weeks and we will be away for 10 days. So i think in that time shell learn enough?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is drinking it then it is okay as long as it is crushed as finely as you say. That is why we recommended the Gerber baby cereal. It accomplishes the same thing essentially.

You can give her a syringe of regular formula whenever you like. It is the total amount of formula per day that is important.

Last edited:

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
alrighty. so she'll be fine with 6 week olds then for 10 days =)

yes, i know the amount is important. However I meant if we give her this crushed briquettes daily too, how many times a day can we give her besides formula. Like 2 times its enough for now and how much, like 4ml of it? the rest shes drinking formula anyway

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I sure hate to bring bad news but she is not going to do okay with kittens who are 2 weeks older than her.

If you re-read through my post #113, I explained how they advance in play interactions in just days, and the difference in play between 4 weeks and 6 weeks is enormous.

She will be pounced and wrestled down, simply overwhelmed by them.

Mentally she will not understand what is happening to her, feel completely bullied, possibly even terrorized.

The only time she should interact directly with them is with total supervision.

It is great for her to be able to interact, but they will be on VERY different levels.