Newborn kitten of 8 days old having pimples on head?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Normally the kitten would be weaned from the mother about 5 to 6 weeks fully. starting about 4 weeks sometimes they can be encouraged to start eating on their own. Each kitten is different. as you did not have the mother you have had to be the mommy. I would seriously wonder why a Vet would give dewormer to a kitten under 6 weeks. @StefanZ and @catwoman707 know more about that end. The vets will normally encourage self feeding as it releaves you of the bottle feeding job. It is not the best to start the kitten before the kitten is ready.

Holding the kitten by the skuff of the neck is exactly how a mommy would carry the kitten. If you place your hand on the back of the kitten's back with your thumb and forefinger at the neck. Gently grabbing the lose skin and grabbing firmly at the back of the neck. When you have the grip right the kitten will hang in your hand. As the kitten get bigger placing your other hand under the butt to support the kitten. If you have watched any cat carry a kitten you will see the mother grab the back of the kittens neck and lift and the carry the kitten with no problem. I did a search for cat carrying kitten and found some videos.
If you know which dewormer to use its no problem.  For example Pyrantel preparates against round worm, may be used as early as from 2+ weeks with healthy kittens .  (unless its some peculiar brand).

The all round Milbomax boasts they can be used from 2+ weeks too.  And a knowleable british breeder witnessed its true.

I would wait a little than this 2 weeks if I could, but if the kitten IS worm infested, it must get help.  So 5-6 weeks is no problems, unless its some very peculiar dewormer.

You were perhaps thinking on vaccinating?   THIS would be odd to vaccinate that early, and yet,  some forumists told their vet did so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@kstonya its sweet we can provide a bit of this feeling safe as with mommy then. So i see sarthur, its still weeks for her to wean off, so there will be more work. This week shell go to vet for second pill of the batch and when shes 6 shell get injection he said. The pill he said was against parasites, so i dont know if it dewormer?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@stefanZ the vet said its necessary? Shouldnt we follow as he said? One more pill then a vaccine?

Also, my boyfriend is telling me shes constipated again. Its so often. What can he do to prevent it? We are adding oil but always shes struggling to poop b4 that hard poop isnout then she wont drink much and shes pushing and pulling that poop back cuz it hurts i think

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As she is constipated then you probably need to make sure she is getting enough water. You might need to syringe the water and keep her hydrated. As she transitions to soild food she will start having more solid poop. keeping a little oil on the food to help the food slip through is best. If the pill is for round worm then she will start having loose stools as that is what the dewormer does is cause the parasites to be removed from the bowel. The parasites will cause constipation. So you need to make sure she is drinking a lot of water.

When we were at vet with her a few days ago he gave her 1st batch of parasites pill to prevent them and i actually looked like this 0.o when he crushed that big pill in 3 pieces, I was like are you sure she cant choke on this? He said no cuz I'm throwing directly in her throat, still I worried.

The vet probably used what is like a very big syringe that he placed at the back of the kittens throat and gave her the pills. This pill should cause loose stools. If she has worms or parasites you should start seeing them come out in the poop. As StefanZ stated they can give dewormer but not vaccines before 5 to 6 weeks.

I would watch her and if she starts acting different then I would wonder what pill the vet gave her. Make sure she has a lot of water and keep her hydrated.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But @kstonya she doesnt drink water. Shes on formula. She doesnt eat solid yet or drink water. So what did u mean?

He crushed pill with fingers in 3 pieces and gave her with fingers inside mouth. U think pill constipated her? She got it on thursday

Bf went to other vet and he said put olive oil in her anus. He did but she didnt poop till now and didnt want to drink too

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No the pill is supposed to clear out the bowel so it would cause a little diarrhea not constipation. Water or milk is the same situation "drinking" 

How much has she pooped since Thursday? The olive oil will work like a lubricant if the bowel is to hard the kitten cannot pass it there fore using oil to soften the bowel also adding a little oil to the formula to soften the bowel.

you need to get more fluids in the kitten to soften her bowels the pill should help but until she can pop on her own then you need to make sure she is drinking a lot of fluids.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But @kstonya she doesnt drink water. Shes on formula. She doesnt eat solid yet or drink water. So what did u mean?

He crushed pill with fingers in 3 pieces and gave her with fingers inside mouth. U think pill constipated her? She got it on thursday

Bf went to other vet and he said put olive oil in her anus. He did but she didnt poop till now and didnt want to drink too
I and Kstonya thinks she has too little water, that is in partly why she is constipated.  So you shall add more water.   Diluting the kmr with more water is quite common.   Although you cant do it more than a few days, because she needs the nourishment.

As she isnt drinking on her own yet, it will be necessary to give her some extra water with a needleless syringe or a dropper, in the mouth, between the feedings.  Had you done it before?  Its not difficult but must be done exactly, so they dont get in the wrong throat.

I mean, there is more tricks to try against constipation, but more water is the first to try.    I believe you do already have some oil in the food?  That is trick nr 2.
@stefanZ the vet said its necessary? Shouldnt we follow as he said? One more pill then a vaccine?

Also, my boyfriend is telling me shes constipated again. Its so often. What can he do to prevent it? We are adding oil but always shes struggling to poop b4 that hard poop isnout then she wont drink much and shes pushing and pulling that poop back cuz it hurts i think
Yes, she msut be dewormed.  And its usually done in several small portions, so he is surely doing this correctly.   Vaccining you do when she is a little older, perhaps 8-10 weeks.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alrighty guys. She is fine now. And i believe constipation is gone. Boyfriend didnt mention it again. She started to play and clean hersslf a bit. Shes so cute now. She gained 30 grams since 30th. However she doesnt want to eat herself yet. Litter he didnt try yet. So tomorrow hes travelling to my country and his uncle will care of her for 9 days. So well try it both later i guess. Shesll be around 6 when we are both back

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
congrats on the progress and you will be amased on how big she will get in 9 days. you need to take a picture of her before you go and when you get back to compare. Good luck on your finals and your trip.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if his uncle can get online tell him about the cat site and where you post incase he has some questions and we will help him until you get back

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A good idea to tell uncle about this site, and show him your thread to use if he'd like. She is still young yet to eat on her own. He can keep trying though. And good luck to you also! :)

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys theres good news. She just ate wet food today. Not mixed with formula. Its fine right?

I wanna know now how many times a day should she eat this and how many times still bottle?
Well be gone a week so we need this info.
She ate 26grams of it. It was felix junior wet food

Last edited:

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @kstonya i hope she doesnt get too big in 9 days. I dont wanna miss all the fun :D its already so bad im not there now when she started eating =)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's excellent! At this little age I might offer the wet food up to six times a day, because they still need to eat frequently. You can offer the bottle in between. Just work up your own schedule according to her needs. I love it when kittens surprise us with their little milestones!

PS: Your uncle needs to show her a little kitten-sized litter pan. She will need it now if she isn't already using it. :)

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She should be deating about every 3 or 4 hours as much as she will. Milk should be offered when she does not eat solids. you can use the bottle and or small plate to lap from.

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes sarthur its so good news. I posted video to her fb page =)

So what about anount in this 6 times. Like 2 teaspoons of wet food or more?

Yes my bf i think is trying litter as we speak just now. Hell let me know how it goes.

Unfortunately uncle doesnt speak english but ill be asking here if he asks us anything

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would put down a couple of tablespoons to start, and let her eat as much as she wants while she's growing, as kstonya mentioned.

I'm excited to hear the litter pan report! Have you been able to see her at all through a video or facetime call?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys what about water. Now that she eats solid she should drink water from bowl too no? If she doesnt shell get liquid from bottle?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No sarthur i didnt have time for video. I was going around. Studying and we couldnt set time for video. Today hes packing b4 his flight so its a bit bisy but he sent me video =) litter i think wasnt success yet

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The easiest way for litter box success and it continuing, is if she is contained in a small cage/crate, the box must be right there within no more than 2 feet away for her to use it. Otherwise her being so young she will simply go potty anywhere else.

As she grows mentally in the weeks before she turns 6 1/2-7 weeks is critical for the box to be very nearby, now at no more than 2 feet, by 5-6 weeks no more than a few feet away, by  weeks as long as it's in the same room and easy to get to, she will use it.

Once she is a faithful user at 7-8 weeks she will always use her box, rather than a kitten who is expected to go looking for it at a very young age, which will be hit and miss, if this is not corrected soon then there is a better chance she won't be quite as faithful a user during her later life.

In other words, teach her now by having it very nearby, so it is used regularly, and she will learn to always use it religiously as natural to her.

This is what I have experienced to be true.