Need advice on taming a feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Luna has now given me about 4 "Back off Monster Lady Now" hisses (really its only claws I here. If that's any better
).

Every time I enter her room she meets me at door meowing and hissing, (these are normal hisses though), which I think is a good sign (I hope).

However, I think that since I look so big standing up and entering room she may still feel threatened. I usually sit down in front of the door when I first enter and then slowly stand again and make my way easily too my desk.

The last 3 times I have done this, she has totally freaked with claws hitting the ground. She is not retreating behind the mirror though. No hissing or growling either. Only claws. She is more in an on gaurd stance. When her claws hit the ground it does make an aweful sound. I don't mean to scare her so, but I can't really stay on the ground right next to her for 20-30 minutes either. I think it would be better if she was not afraid of me standing and walking by her.

Today she has been out more than ever.
Maybe to she is feeling that the room is hers and so she is being a little more territorrial??? I don't know though.

Just now she met me at the door when I was bringing her wet food. She did the claw thing right when I sat down the food as she met me at door. Its not even in the normal spot as she met me at door. I put it down in the middle of the room. I then crawled over my desk and she didn't move.

Right now she is in a long box right next to her cat tree on the opposite side of her mirror. Just watching me and the food!! She is so beautiful!!

Hope everyone is well.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Luna IS a beautiful cat and I bet you can't wait to touch her!!!! BUT, it may be awhile. Just look, don't touch
. Her coming out and being vocal, hissing and meowing, is a great sign
. Progress in the making

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have observed that cat in stressful situation is using claws on ground/floor/mat, pulling it like a scratching post, I think it is some stress relief mechanism for cat that would like but still is too afraid?

Mine does this even when hiding and if I come in during the day and offer something good or play with mouse etc.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna now comes out running when I come into her room. She is meeting me at the door. I barely have enough room to close the door behind me. I think I'm going to have to do some rearranging later. She comes right up to me and is only about 4-6 inches away. If she were a normal cat you could just reach down and pet her. Sometimes I think she is going to rub up against my leg.

She is usually meowing at first and is all fine, but now, after a few minutes of us talking to each other, almost every time she does the claws on ground thing in a protective-like stance. She usually lightens up after she has done this and then sits down or goes into a nearby box. After this I walk on over to my desk. This morning she stayed out the whole time I was in the room, 45 minutes at least and she is now out and inside a box right next to me just watching and looking rather relaxed.

I can see the whole stress thing like what JTbo was saying, but this is more like an I'm in her space type thing, like she is gaurding her territory and not sure if I'm ok to come into the room.

Is this normal behavior???

Hope everyone is well!!

I had to leave the room for a sec and Luna was still inside the box next to the cat tree, which is also nearest to the door. I return with a little tuna for a treat. Again as soon as I come into the room she is there and claws hit the floor. I actually jumped a little (its a horrible sound). I think now I may be more afraid of her eating me than she should be of me eating her!! Anyway I sat down the tuna and slowly moved on to my desk. She never hid, just stayed near the box. Anyway I just now look down and she is eating the tuna with her back turned to me.

Wait, now she is looking at me licking her lips. I'm guessing this is all a part of the process. Now she is grooming herself. I'm telling you this is so confusing sometimes.

Another update:

Luna I think maybe likes the long box next to her cat tree, which is right next to door, now for her hangout instead of the mirror. I say hangout because she isn't really hiding anymore. She has been out and around all afternoon (I mean hours now).

We just played with the mouse and string (I rubbed catnip all over the mouse). She was rolling all over the place.She was loving it!!

She goes from freaked to relaxed and acting normal within minutes. I definately don't like the claws on the floor thing. I like playful Luna better. I guess it is all part of the process. Slowly she is realizing that she is ok and maybe I'm not so bad. Now I have to try to not think she is going to eat me, as she sounds and looks kind of mean when her claws hit the floor.

I think maybe its still the whole devil/angel thing?????

I think angel is winning though.

It is so hard not to touch her, but I know if I try it would probably not go well so I'll just let her lead the way!!!

Hope ya'll all well!!!!!
Thanks!!!!
Alex

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say HUGE progress

If you stand back towards her and read some paper, she might have enough courage to bump against your leg?

That is how mine seem to be most comfortable around me, it is bit odd, but they are odd in many ways, I think.

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The claws on the floor. Is she stretching her front legs out toward you & kind of bowing when she does this? I'm not getting the picture of the claws hitting the ground...

I'm glad she doesn't hide behind the mirror as much. She'll be rubbing you soon, I bet. Or at least making the motions of rubbing you without actually touching you...Lucky did that a lot in the beginning, could just tell he really wanted to but couldn't quite do it. Yes, try standing with some treats or catnip with your back to her, or talking.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No! When I say claws on floor I mean they are hitting it and making a horrible sound.
She looks like she is on gaurd and warning me that I better watch out. This only lasts maybe a minute or less.

She does do the stretching and bowing as well, but only after the claw thing and when she feels comfortable. I think maybe she isn't so sure of what's going on. First maybe she is happy to see me and then she may remember that I am supposed to be a monster so she has to get defensive???
Maybe not sure whether she is scared or not. Usually she is just meowing and being friendly when she runs to the door (and I mean she is running now to the door to greet me). But then it just changes and it looks like she is getting reading to claw me. Her claws hitting the ground is just the warning that I need to back off.

Then, once she does this all is well again. Like I said she is only like this for a moment. She then chills, sits down, goes to a nearby box, or stretches and just watches me like LuckyBabyCat was describing.

I have entered now 2 times I think since we were playing with the mouse and string. She is still in her box relaxed. Not behind the mirror!!! I think maybe the catnip chilled her out.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wonderful progress!!! So much has happened since I last visited your thread. Luna eating with her back at you is HUGE.

She sounds like a character and very talkative, so truthful to her Siamese genes. Does she look like she has a very soft coat?

I too don't understand the claw on the floor thing(?), I just can't picture it.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its really hard to describe the claw thing. She isn't hissing or growling when this happens. Its just I think she is unsure of her feelings. Part of her is wanting to be friendly and the other part is telling herself to still be on gaurd and afraid and maybe even defensive.

I think maybe too, it sounds worse than it is. We have wood floors and I have even noticed when Jazz gets up from lying to standing really fast, that the sounds are similar. Although with Luna her stance is a defensive stance.

I just don't want to startle her so much that she feels threatened and starts really clawing. I don't think she would but you never know. She starts of meowing and being friendly and then she just freaks. She now kind of has me cornered at the door!!!

LoveWhiskers, yes her coat looks soooo much better now. I wish I could touch her and brush her, as she is shedding a great deal. And yes she looks soooo very soft. A bath probably wouldn't hurt either, but right now that is impossible. A sure clawing!

She is a lot smaller than I thought too. Behind the mirror she was looking rather plump, but now that she is out in the open she is really just a baby. The vet said she was about 9 months old when I brought her inside. So that would make her 11 months now????? She still looks really small and delicate though.

Today when we were playing with the mouse and string she was rolling all over the place. She was soooooooo cute

Hubby had camera so I couldn't snap any photos, but tomorrow I'm going to get some.

That's why the whole claw thing is so confusing. She can go from looking really scary to all playful and normal looking in a sec. Like I said before these little claw on floor episodes only last a moment, so maybe its just her getting used to me. If you saw how she was playing with the mouse rolling all over you would think she was just a regular kitty!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Having this site makes this a lot easier.

Sorry all my posts today have been super long!! Thanks again!!

Hope everyone has a nice night!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luna is not spayed yet, right
. You are dealing with hormones on top of your trying to socialize her. Once she is spayed these territorial issues will dissapate and she won't be doing the stomping anymore. Plus, you will make quicker progress with her once she is spayed.

That is excellent that she is coming within inches of you. Just let her rub on you if she decides too. She is making the first moves here and this is a very good sign

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No Feralvr, Luna is not spayed. That makes so much sense, hormones!!!! Stomping is also the perfect word to describe the claw thing too

Do you think maybe she is in heat? Could that also explain why she keeps looking at the door?

Maybe I should try to trap her now and go ahead and have her spayed instead of waiting a month or so????? Would this help in the taming process????

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES YES YES. It would help tremendously in taming Luna. It sounds like she is in heat. It is always better to spay when the cat is not in heat, but check with the vet. If she is just starting her heat, you could still go ahead with her spay ASAP. When we trap feral females, they just go directly to the vet to be spayed and sometimes they are in full blown heat or even pregnant. So I am sure if you could trap Luna very soon they could spay her regardless if she is in heat. She will be starting to act very different and will be very vocal with some very low tones and she could start spraying!!!! Spaying her will help incredibly so for her to just focus on you and not the confusion of how she is feeling about wanting to roam and breed. Be very careful with the door, she could be very quick in trying to get out.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much every time I enter Luna's room now she gets between me at the door and my desk. As soon as I move into the room and close door she is right there. I can't tell if she is being friendly or not friendly.

I sit down for a minute and talk to her and then she goes to a nearby box, but doesn't go inside. She justs waits to see what I'm going to do. Then as soon as I stand and move she gives me the stomping thing with the claws digging into the floor. It's very defensive. Then once she has done this she goes on into the box and lays down acting like nothing happened.

I just don't get it. A week ago she was hiding behind mirror and now she is all over the room with me in it, but for some reason she really doesn't like it when I enter her room. She has me cornered at the door worried that if I move she is going to claw me. She has plently of places to run to when I come in, but chooses not too. She justs sits between me (where the door is) and my desk. She isn't letting me in it seems.

Once she has put me in my place as it seems, she is fine, relaxed and not bothered by what I do whether it be changing the litter or sitting at my desk or playing with her.

I am going to take her to be spayed next week when hubby gets paid again and hopefully that will help.

Do cats get cabin fever???? I can't let her out of the room yet, but I also don't want to get clawed entering the room. She obviously is not afraid of me anymore or she wouldn't be out. She eats with me in the room, grooms herself, and even plays with her mice with or without me. She has been very playful today. Its just when I enter the room she is acting like she is going to eat me and then all the sudden changes back into nice Luna.

Any suggestions???? I hate leaving the room now because I know even if its just a few minutes we will have to go through the whole claw thing again.

I'm very very very very sad.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really doubt that she would claw you, it would require you to touch her several times and some chasing, haven't at least heard from cat that would claw person just because sharing same space and as she has lot of places to run to, she probably will run somewhere before clawing.

And if she claws, it will be just touch at first, when backing off she will not claw again, but to get that far you would really need to push her around, she knows that you are lot bigger and she knows that there is no way to 'win' you, so she would only claw when feeling being cornered and sees no other way than die or die fighting.

Bending over her is something better to avoid, that will easily set her off.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have figured out that as long as enter room with string and mouse in hand as a distraction, Luna is fine with me coming on in. She just watches the mouse and does not seem to be bothered by me. As long as we are playing every thing is fine.

I probably made the claw thing sound worse than what it is, but it is puzzling to me why she is doing this and only when I first come in. Maybe she might be testing me??? Who knows??? I do know that the sound her claws make when hitting the wood floors is horrible.

Hopefully once she is spayed there will be no reason for the territorial issues anymore and she will settle down.

She has been extremely playful today, attacking mice every chance she gets. She hides in the boxes and then all the sudden, Pounce!! Its pretty funny to watch.

Unfortunately, Jazz ate Gray Mouse. His remains were scattered all over the living room floor when I got home this afternoon.

I wonder too, if maybe she is in heat and Jazz is bugging her and that's why she is doing the stomping thing every time the door opens. To let Jazz know its her room and to back off???

Anyway thanks for the thoughts. Hope everyone is well!!

5:36p
Just brought in Luna's wet food about 10 minutes ago. She didn't waste anytime eating. Then she starts pawing on the wood floor trying to cover up what was left. I put it where no clothes could go on top unless she really tried. She did this for a couple of minutes and then went on the clean herself up and explore a little.

So I guess everything is good!!

Hope everyone is well!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you say Luna is acting a bit more territorial/aggressive this last week, it is because of a heat coming on. When she is spayed things will settle back down.

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We once adopted a 6 yr old "Norwegian Forest cat" from a Shelter in NJ, because we believed she'd never be adopted as she would go hide out of sight the minute a human would enter the visiting room!

We adopted her immediately and discovered she had been an abused cat! (one day she totally freaked out when I put on a baseball cap) Her name was "Pushka", Russian for Kitty/cat! It took her three years for her to "come to us! We just let her be and live with our other three cats! She eventually came around and slept at my wife's feet every night. (She really never warmed up to men) She finally passed at the age of 16 years and would jump into my wife's lap and snuggle up to her!

Conversely, our 14 month old cat which we adopted 5 weeks ago spent her first hour at her new home under the bed and then jumped up on the bed and immediately "Head bumped my wife and then me"! She then let us pet her and cuddle her! She still has her moments of skittishness and is afraid of a lot of common noises, but I attribute that to time spent in foster care, etc.
he now spends every night with us!

I believe you are doing all the right things, patience will lead to a great relationship!

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna is doing much better. She has only done the little stomp thing once since the other day.

She is also staying out, not bothering to hide anymore. She even used the litter box yesterday afternoon with me sitting right next to her.

I still haven't tried to touch her even though she is just inches from me. Hopefully soon she will bump up against me.

I hope next week to be able to get her to the vet to be spayed.

Hope everyone is well!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, that's a BIG step!
I haven't been on TCS for a few day - though I guess you haven't been giving us much in the way of updates during my absence.
But that she doesn't hide anymore is FABULOUS!

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not so afraid of her "predator" is she! Have you tried dropping a treat by your foot/leg when she is close? Maybe continuing it after a while with holding one in your fingertips? At first with Lucky, I put treats in an old plastic peanut butter jar, and would lay it open, on its side, near me with lots of treats in it, near the opening. He would explore it, and then I progressed on to me holding the jar, on its side, with treats practically hangning out of it, then some just dropped near me, etc, etc...
Hey, I think Luna is your cat now. Good going! She likes your visits. Make her like it even more.