Need advice on taming a feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the tips!!!

Over the last couple of days I have been holding my hand out to her more. Usually she will sniff first and then back up, but as I have been doing this more, she now will sit up all pretty and tall and acts as though she is going to swat at my hand, but instead of really swatting my hand she gently puts her paw on my hand.

Deep down I think she knows I'm not going to hurt her. She just probablly has never felt a pet so she doesn't know yet that petting is a good thing. Sometimes she does have her claws out as she is pawing at me, but she never really claws, she does this as gentle as possible, almost like she is testing my hand to see what will happen when she touches it. I think the more we do this, she will see that my hand is not going to hurt her.

Also, today she has been napping at the very top of her cat tree. I'm going to snap some photos later tonight. She is sooooooo cute!

I think she has grown too! Over this past weekend I was away overnight at my grandmother's house, and when I came home I thought she looked bigger. Looking at her now on top of the cat tree I also think she has matured somehow.

Hope everyone is well and thanks again for the support!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is quite bit like my Mouku, with him it goes like if thing is bit scary swat it, if thing is new, swat it, if it does look edible swat it, he is bit simple at some things

Anyway he used to do that paw to hand thing, but in Mouku's case he mostly liked to have the hand as a new toy, he still does it if I try to touch before he is ready and he quite rarely is so ready.

They grow up until about 2 years, some breeds even for 4 years, quick bursts happen during 1st year at least that is what I have read.

Surely it sounds as if Luna is enjoying her new world, great job

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!! A month or so I updated on a new thread about Luna. I am now petting her and have been for a while!!!!!!!

I just wanted to give another update about her and was able to find my first thread.

Its been 7 months now that Luna has been living with us. She is still in her own room, but is now loving the pets. I can barely get any computer work done because she is always wanting pets, and I love it!!!!

Now, in the mornings when I get up we have pet time for at least 10 minutes. Then she does her thing and I do mine. When she wants love, she just comes right on my desk, and if I don't give her enough attention, she will walk right on my laptop and stand there until I give her all the pets she wants.

She has even, over the last 2 weeks, let my daughter pet her with the featherwand. I think maybe in a few more weeks, she will allow hand pets from my daughter. My hubby, however, is a little more scary than us girls. Although, Luna doesn't go hide when he and our dog Jazz come say hi! She even sniffs my hubby's hand. He is now jealous and has a complex about being so big and loud and scary. He wants Luna's love too, and I think its sooo funny!

The featherwand was the trick. At first, she would allow me to pet her with the wand and then over the course of about a month or so, she has finally let me pet her with just my hand. I am no longer using the feather wand!!!

I have not tried to pick her up and won't until she is ready.

I mainly just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me on this site. I can't even describe how Luna has affected my life. She is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November of last year was when she first came to my back deck and eventually came to eat and was beginning to trust me when she was trapped by my mean neighbor. Luckily, I saw her and was able to save her and get her to the vet. Then, she hid behind a mirror in my office for at least 2 months! There were times when I wondered if what I was doing was right. I never could have guessed things would have turned out like they have. I had pretty much given up on ever being able to touch her, and now she is the most loving cat and I love her so much and am so happy that she has allowed me to be a part of her life.

Thank you and I hope everyone is well!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw I am just BEAMING for you and Luna! I want to say "we told you so," but now.. YOU KNOW!

I am SO GLAD you found the key that flipped her little switch.
It just makes the heart sing to see her so happy, doesn't it?

Just wait until she's sleeping in bed with you and DH.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew the time would come someday when Luna would finally allow you to touch and pet her. You were so patient with her and allowed her to make progress all on her own terms, little by little. Trust won over
. I am so happy
to see this update. Congratulations, I know how much this means to you, so rewarding !!!!!!!!