Need advice on taming a feral cat

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine started taking food/treats from hand when I just kept my hand still (the other one too) and then looked away, then waited, took at least minute or two, but eventually they were willing to take it, it took probably a month of offering without result, something that is her favorite, give it normally, then next day offer it only from hand/spoon.

Then you may get her to lick your hand/finger.

Sitting on floor, facing back to her might be also good, then she may come very close to you, if you read etc. Probably not even noticing her, but if she decides to bump on you then try not to get spooked, they are really good in silent approach and it is very sudden feeling so easy to get spooked, that is at least how I have experienced it once with Kurnaus cat. She was too afraid to approach from front, so when I walked bit away and was crouched, she seeked into position where I could not see her and then approached very quietly, suddenly purring against my leg. As she was stray she allowed to be touched right away, also jumped on my lap that evening, but with feral I don't think that will be so easy, probably from when feral has bumped against leg, it will take time to get into touching yet petting, but I'm not too sure about that, it is just impression I have got when reading stories from here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna is doing good. Still out all the time. Yesterday I was able to stay home, so I was in her room pretty much all day.

She will come right up to me. When I sat in the floor reading, she would walk over and sniff my foot. Then when I was sitting in my office chair, I looked down once to find her standing on her back paws with her front paws up next to me as if she was getting ready to jump in my lap.

She is becoming more and more curious about me. I have tried holding a treat out for her, but she won't come and take it. I leave treats in my chair when I leave and other places around the room.

I'm just going to wait for that first bump or rub against my leg. She is also very quiet, so I do need to remember not to freak out when it happens.
She can sneak right up on you.

She played and played yesterday. She really likes the fish tank. It houses an albino water frog, fish, chinese water dragon, and a fire belly toad, so she is enjoying watching them. I think maybe too she is plotting on how to get in and eat them

I snapped a few pics a sec ago. They're not that great. I'll try to get some better ones later.

On the fish tank ones, I don't even know how she is up on the ledge like she is. It's only like an inch wide???

Hope everyone is well.

Attachment 15340

Attachment 15341

Attachment 15342

Attachment 15343

Attachment 15344

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those fish tank pics are really funny, like she would be just about saying peekaboo

Their balance is amazing, Miuku too likes from edges, pylon sized less than 2" x 2" was like walking in a hallway to us, he kind of sit on top of that quite often at warehouse, then leaped there to other edge of warehouse, no wonder they are hard to spot when they can walk on places we don't believe they could.

Luna seems to be really progressing, she is really getting used to you and is perhaps thinking about adding you to her family, well kind of family, friends list or such that cats have.

Having time to be with her every day really seem to pay off, very nice

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH MY Goodness. How adorable is that!!!!! She is such a beautiful cat and she looks so curious and not so frightened in these new pictures as she did in the previous. She is tooooooo cute peeking around from the fish tank. NEVER MIND the fish, who is that scary monster pointing that flashy thing at me!!!!
Great pics. ANd so happy to hear she is coming out more and more now.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've tried to post more pics of Luna and for some reason it will only let me post certain pics. Any suggestions as to why this is happening???

Anyway here are some that I took earlier of Luna. I have lots more, better ones but for some reason they won't attach? She is doing good and has been very playful today!!! I love watching her.
Its so entertaining!!

Attachment 15349

Attachment 15350

Attachment 15351

Attachment 15352

Attachment 15353

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW, she didn't even care that you were there taking pictures!!! Just wanted at the Lizard!!!!!!!!! Oh, my I thought they were fish earlier
. Anyway, she really looks quite comfortable in those pics

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe they won't attach because they're too large?

I usually resize pics to be 400 x 600 at most. I also upload them to photobucket.com and use the

LOOK AT LUNA!
She looks - carefree and happy!

malibustacy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what amazing progress you and Luna have made! You must be thrilled. She's a beautiful girl, and it seems that she'll be your BFF in no time.

I wish I had anything of interest to report about Charley, but he's still laying low and hiding out, and running back to the safety of his carrier whenever anyone enters his room. So, I'm just carrying on with the feeding and the sweet talk and the toys and the treats and hoping that we'll have a breakthrough of trust when he's ready.

I spotted Charley's possible sibling yesterday at the feeding station - a black tuxedo kitty who looks to be about the same age. He/she was the one I saw walking away from the trap on the morning I caught Charley. The spay-mobile is coming around again in a week and a half, so I'll have to get the trap ready for this one.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update of how Luna is doing

She is very playful!!! The kitty condo is a favorite of hers. I put mice on top and she attacks from the bottom. It is soooo funny!!
This morning she leapt from the window to the top of the condo in attack mode. So funny to watch her. I love it.

I still have not touched her and probably won't for a while. She is very curious of me and there have been times when I'm sitting at my desk and she will be right there next to me looking up. She will even put her front paws on the chair. This morning I thought she might jump on up onto my lap. I hope I don't freak out when that happens.

I also brought her cat carrier into the room and put a nice blanket inside and covered it as well. She has been lying on top of it and today I saw her go in and come out of it!! I think it might be her new safe spot, which is great in the event I need to get her quick. I do also have the door opened with something so it can't close on her.

Hope everyone is well and thanks!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me that Luna is really reaching out to you. Try to put some cat treats on the chair so when she reaches up with her paws she will be tempted and rewarded with the treat. I have a feeling soon you will be able to start petting her.
great progress with her

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna has been doing good over the last few days, very playful. Luckily, she has made the cat carrier her new home. She loves it. I do have it covered with blankets and a blanket inside. The other day when I came into her room I found her snoozing inside.

Attachment 15367

Attachment 15368

She is sooooo cute!!!!

However, I am not able to get her to the vet for spaying as of yet.

The stomping claw thing that she has been doing when I first come into her room hasn't been so bad, but she is still doing it. She really wants the door to be opened up so she can come out, but I'm not so sure I should do this.

When she does the stomp thing it is almost as though she is challanging me to come inside. Or maybe she is still scared of me because I'm standing. If I sit down and crawl on all fours she doesn't do it, only when I am standing and moving into the room. If I come in and just start playing with her with a string or mouse she doesn't do it. I just don't get it.
Hubby says she just wants to play, but I think she wants the door opened and she wants out.

I have thought about at night when we go to bed leaving the door opened. All bedrooms would be shut and Jazz would be in the bedroom with us. She would only have the kitchen and living room to explore, all other rooms would be closed off. There are only a few tables for her to hide under. Also I think once we all start getting up in the morning she would come back to her room for safety. I just don't know if it is a good idea or not considering the stomp thing and the fack that I haven't touched her yet and also what if she freaks out and won't go back into her room?? Then what would I do??

Just don't know what to do. I hate keeping her in the room and we would all love to see her out in the house. She hasn't been running to hide from my hubby when he opens her door and he has been able to talk her out when she was hiding, so maybe with more space to be in she maybe wouldn't do the stomp thing. Maybe she is bored and is getting a touch of cabin fever????

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!!!
Thanks and hope everyone is well!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic pictures of Luna in that crate and it looks quite cozy. IMO I would leave her in the room until you get her spayed and she has recovered. It would not be good if for some odd reason she decided not to run in her room when you woke up in the morning. It would be a HUGE setback to have to chase her or scare her in trying to get her back to her room. And you would be surprised how savvy they are about finding hiding spots and that would make you very upset if you could not find her. Also, if she were to hide and you opened the front door, she could bolt quick as lightening. If she is in heat, she just might have it in her mind to try. Since she is not spayed yet, she might be tempted to mark her new territory, especially if there are other stray cats that come around outside of the house. Anyway, just my thoughts, but you certainly could try that because she would most likely just run back to her room when you come out of your room. Glad all is going so well with Luna

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Feralvr, it would be best to have vet visit first, as of now she has homones running up high and that makes her to try to escape and find a tom cat, she may get so desperate that might hurt herself in process.

After the vet visit she should be much relaxed and introducing her to rest of house would be lot easier for both of you, that is as least what I think.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too think it is best to leave her in her room until I get her spayed and am able to pet her a little. It is just so hard sometimes keeping her in the room all alone.
Its getting harder now too because she meows loudly if I haven't visited in a while. This started yesterday morning. The meowing may also be a sign on her being in heat, but I like to think its because she wants to join us in the living room.

She hears everything we do. She and Jazz have also been playing through the door. They give each other nose kisses. Really they are just checking each other out. Its funny to watch.
He has also been with my hubby at the door when he has opened it and Luna doesn't run away or seemed to be scared of Jazz. Last night she even continued playing with me and a mouse when the door was opened. She is still a little leary of hubby, but still stays out in the open. She watches him very carefully.

Last night I slept in the room with Luna on the floor for a hour or so because she was meowing so loud. Once I layed down, she went into her carrier and settled down. I woke up a little later to find her sitting at my head staring at me. I got on up and went to bed and didn't hear her again.

I think the siamese is coming out in her. She loves to talk these days.

This weekend I'm visiting my grandmother overnight, so it will be the first time I will have had to leave her alone. I'm going to be so worried about her.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luna loves you!! Watching you sleep. That was a great experience for her. She will be fine for one night alone, but I totally understand the worry part. I can't stand to leave my furkids either
. But Luna will survive
enjoy your night away!! I bet you will talk your Grandma's ear off about Luna and show pictures all night long

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
since she readily goes into her carrier on her own, can you take her and her carrier to your bedroom at nite and shut your bedroom door. That will let her spend some extra time with you. That carrier is her comfort zone. She will go back to itif she gets scared.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My plans have changed so I am not going out of town this weekend. I'll go next weekend, and I am still going to worry so much about her. She is so used to me being here, I just worry about what she will think if I'm not. I know its only a day and a half, but still.

Luna is doing good. Still haven't touched her. She comes up to me and sniffs me, but as soon as I move to pet her head or chin she backs away. I may never touch her, and I guess that would be ok. I can be ok not ever touching her, thats what makes her special, and I love her no matter what.

She is not hiding anymore and is right next to me pretty much all the time when I am in the room with her, and she doesn't run to hide when my hubby or daughter open the door. She stays out and watches. Last night we had a friend over, and he was able to open the door and see her for the first time. She is used to his voice, as he is here a lot, but he has never been able to see her, only in pictures. So I thought that was a good thing.

She gets so close to me now. She will come and join me on top of my desk right beside the computer and just watches what I do. She watches me type, she watches the screen of the computer. She seems so amused by the computer, very attentive.

Its crazy how close she will be to me. I mean right next to me, but will not let me touch her. I think she is a wonderful cat, but she may one who will only be seen, no touching. I can't wait to let her out into the house with us. I belive she will always want to be right there with us, watching, but I'm not so sure about allowing us to pet. She seems scared of touch, although if I ever could pet her, she would probably realize that it wasn't such a bad thing.

I just think it is going to be a very, very long time before she will let us touch her. It is definately going to be a move that is totally up to her and one that's going to happen only when she is ready.

Hope everyone is well and thanks!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be afraid of hand raising above her more than petting, I know that I can touch Miuku and Mouku to paw, especially when I'm not using a fingertip, keeping fingers curled seem to relax them, then at good day I can put my hand so that it touches paw or leg, maybe bit rubbing too, but they are not too comfortable with that, quite quickly move their paw away and continue eating like nothing was happened, when not eating, it is difficult to touch them, so that I have not tried, also to really pet or touch, that I don't think I will do for long time, they have already quite a bit of adjusting to do.

It really is great to hear that Luna has accepted you being at same room without need to hide, I'm sure she will miss you a lot, but from experience I can tell that she will be really happy to see you and might even touch you when you come back, who knows, mine at least are behaving much more brave when I come back from week's trip.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try this trick. Sit on the floor and put one of your hands flat on the floor palm down fingers spread. With your other hand place special treats between each finger and just hold still. The treats need to be smelly member Pat has a company Plain Brown Tabby with excellent treats for this. Stay very still and when she comes up, duck your head down, shut your eyes and slow your breathing. Let her take the treats- do NOT move. When the treats are gone, slide your hand along the floor toward you stand up and go away.

Do this several times a week. It serves two purposes. One she acts like she knows that hands hurt (something in her past has shown her this) You are showing her that hands are friendly, they are good and they don't want to touch her. She will become easier over time with the appearance of hands and when she is ready for this touch, she will tell you by headbumping your hand.

good luck