Need advice on taming a feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!!!

Nothing much new is going on with Luna. Things still about the same. I still have not touched her. She is so close to me, but I'm still leary about touching. Maybe if I had a really thick glove and long sleeves I might try. I think she will freak if I try and I've seen her claws so I think I'll let her come to me!!

She loves to play. In the morning now we just play. She will sit next to me and star at me until I play with her. So I've given up trying to do anything else in the morning. We are up to about 1 and 1/2 hours a day. She is so funny and has so much energy! I can't wait until I'm able to let her out of her room so she can be out with us more. She needs more space to burn off all her energy.

She does like to watch me type on the computer as well. She gets right behind the screen and just sits and watches. At first all you see is ears and then eyes and then finally the rest of her head. Kind of like peek-a-boo.

I did go see my grandmother this past weekend and hubby actually cleaned litter boxes and fed Luna her wet food at night. All went well. He said she hid the entire time and wasn't as playful as she usually is. He said she missed me and could tell I was not in the house. She came out and greeted me as soon as I got home and told me everything that had been going on.

Hope all are well!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luna loves you
. You are her hero and she counts on your daily care
someday soon you will pet her
. And I don't think you will need a thick glove

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is so great, certainly not gloves needed, she probably would just move away if you touched her, but of course best to wait for her to be ready.

misstorri

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping this little girl! I have 3 feral that now live inside with my hubby and I. The last two I got this past october. One came along quickly and the other is finally starting to come around now! The good news is, now that she has come around, shes the 1st one at the door and loves her pets! She's no lapcat yet but she'll lay right next to us. All 3 still have skiddish moments my other cats dont have. Its a long process I liken to taming a squirrel. Each day draws you closer and closer. My hubby gets upset b/c they like me better but he doesnt have the patience I do! LOL Its also important to have a tv or radio on while your not in the room to get her used to voices. If she's a food driven cat tasty treats are a good tool. Most ferals are very food driven! Over time I took their hiding spots away from them. Some people might not recommend this but it worked for me. I never put them in compromising positions and just made sure to read their body language. They had to get used to being in the same space without hiding. They only hide now when we have other people over. She might only bond to you and not your husband or vice versa. My feral male wont go near my husband unless he's really in the mood. Trust me when I say it WILL pay off! I know alot of others as well that have been in simalar situations and now have great pets. When you let her out of the room make sure she has easy acess back into it. That will most likley be her 'safe room' for life. If you can move her into your bedroom eventually thats best b/c their forced to come out while your sleeping. In the beginning I would wake to find them on the bed catching a catnap! Good luck with her and keep us posted!

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a little update on Luna.

She is doing good, very playful, and curious about everything I'm doing. She sits right behind my computer when I'm working. Its funny because if I haven't played with her in a while, she just moves closer and closer until I give her attention.

I still have not petted her. She is still too scared of my hand. She won't even take a treat from my hand.

Right now she is sitting on top of the fish tank plotting on how to get in!! She loves watching all the critters inside!! She just wishes she could get in and play (or eat
) the lizzard and frogs!!

Hope everyone is well!!

Here are a few more pics!

Attachment 15489

Attachment 15490

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is looking so darn good
thanks to you. What a beauty
. She also is becoming more and more comfortable in her new environment. Isn't it such a rewarding feeling when they slowly come out of their frightened state and start to trust!!! Some just take MUCH longer than other's and you are doing a great job

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU! I think of you two all the time!

Look at her- she loves her cat perch!
She looks SO relaxed! She is a gorgeous little girl, and she clearly loves you.

I suspect she was abused. At this point, it's the most logical explanation I've got for her issue with hands. Does she eat out in the open now - while you're there? Is she pretty much comfortable moving around with you there? If you lean your head toward her... does she back away or sniff at you?

Billy and Chumley were both very "cat friendly" cats once indoors. Both were leary about hands. So instead of petting them with my hands, I started leaning my head forward - like I was going to headbump them. Billy went for it right away, and loved the "head pets." Chum took a little while - but "got it" and now purrs up a storm when I rub the top of my head on his forehead, cheeks and around his ears. Sometimes he'll call out when he wants his head pets. Other times I'll lean forward and he'll pull away - not in the mood for them. But other times I'll be walking by the cat tree (ours go up to the ceiling), and he'll lean his head forward, and I know it means to stop and "pet" him.
Billy loves pets in general now (and tummy rubs!), but Chum's still very leery about hands.

Just a thought.....

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LDG--Yes Luna does eat out in the open with me present. She loves her wet food and as soon as I put it out she is right there eating!!
She also eats her dry food and drinks water when I'm with her.

She is not scared of me and moves very comfortably in her room!! There is plenty for her to climb on. Mostly when I'm with her she is just right next to me watching every move I make. And I mean right next to me either under my feet, on my desk, or on the table right next to my desk, which is where she is now watching me type.
When she gets tired or bored she will go to her carrier to take a nap.

She will sniff my hand, but as soon as I move to pet her either under her chin or cheek, or on top of her head she backs up. Sometimes she thinks I'm playing and will try to swat at my hand. I have to be careful and pick up quickly on her play looks!
She doesn't swat in a mean way, she is usually gentle. I think I messed up when I used to hold a mouse in my hand to play. I'm not doing that anymore. Sometimes I think she thinks my hand is a toy!! She usually will only do that when she is in the mood to play and wants me to play with her.

She also will not take any treats from my hand no matter what it is. She will come and take a sniff, but waits until I set it down before eating.

I also believe she somehow was abused and that is why she is leary about hands. I'm ok with waiting.

I may try the head bump to see what happens.

Thanks---

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Billy and Chumley were both very "cat friendly" cats once indoors. Both were leary about hands. So instead of petting them with my hands, I started leaning my head forward - like I was going to headbump them. Billy went for it right away, and loved the "head pets." Chum took a little while - but "got it" and now purrs up a storm when I rub the top of my head on his forehead, cheeks and around his ears. Sometimes he'll call out when he wants his head pets. Other times I'll lean forward and he'll pull away - not in the mood for them. But other times I'll be walking by the cat tree (ours go up to the ceiling), and he'll lean his head forward, and I know it means to stop and "pet" him.
Billy loves pets in general now (and tummy rubs!), but Chum's still very leery about hands.

Just a thought.....
Great suggestion. Actually,
head bumps are really the only way that Perkins likes to be touched, or at least head bumps are more enjoyable for him. He was born in a barn and not sure what his human contact was in his first few weeks of life. A bit hand shy for sure. Head bumps are his thing and now all I have to do is lower me head at his side and he rubs all over me and purrs. Might give the head bump a try with Luna

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in need of a little advice.

Luna is doing well. We are however at a standstill as far as making any new progress.

Just by looking at her you would think she is a normal kitty.
That is of course if you are me. She does still hide at first when my husband or daughter come into her room, but after a while she will come on out. Anybody else she runs behind her mirror.

When I'm with her she plays and is out all the time, even greets me at the door for a quick hand sniff, and then she tells me all about whatever she has been doing. As soon as I move my hand to pet her she backs up immediately.

She is always right next to me when I'm with her either sitting on top of my desk right behind or next to the computer watching me, sitting on top of her kitty condo, which is also right next to my desk, and there are times when she is right under or right beside my chair. She gets as close to me as possible. She is very curious and I know she loves me and does enjoy my company.

So that brings me to where we are now. I don't know how to try and pet her. I don't think she has ever been touched before, and I also don't think she is going to just rub against me. She shows no interst in being rubbed. There have been a couple of times that I have reached down and kind of touched her as she was walking away. She never saw my hand actually move to touch her. Both times I didn't really touch her, just kind of skimmed her fur a liitle. She knew somthing had happened as both times she turned around really quick with a look of what just happened, but she never saw my hand touch her.

I could reach right down to pet her as she is always so close to me, but am scared to because I'm afraid she will turn around and claw me. Also I think she thinks my hands are toys. There are times when she wants to play instead of sniffing my hand, she will claw at my hand like she plays with her other toys. That's her que for "Hey I'm Bored Lets Play!" She never really scratches me, but she definately could if she wanted to. That's why I think she is just playing. She also likes to watch me type ,and there are times I will look over at her, and she has the pounce look on her face and I tell her that my hands are not toys. She will just look at me as if to reply "Then play with me. I need attention."

I have tried the head bump thing once and then thought to myself I really don't want to chance a scratch on the face.

I have had cats before that weren't very lovey dovey, and know sometimes that is just the cat's personality.

I just don't really know where to go from here. It doesn't bother me that I can't touch her. I'm fine with just her company and knowing she is safe and taken care of. She is a great listener and very entertaining. There are times though that I think maybe I should try to pet her to see what would happen. Maybe once I pet her once she will be like "That wasn't so bad" and begin to let me really pet her. Then there are times that I tell myself I shouldn't try to touch her first because I may freak her out.

Any thoughts and advice will be welcomed very much.

I hope everyone is well!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a stray-acting feral kitty outside in the colony. It's taken him a few months, but he now rubs around our legs as we're putting food out. Very skittish - but this is how we know he was someone's and not feral. Anyway, he headbumps our legs and is really friendly - but whether standing or sitting, hand out or in fist - as soon as we reach toward him or touch him with a hand, he skitters away a bit. He'll come right back and bump us - but he doesn't want hands.

We grabbed a brush, and when he's rubbing on our legs, we gave him a brush on the cheek with the brush. He didn't freak. We'd do it once or twice more, then slowly work up the amount. Now he gets brushed all the time, and we brush our hands along his cheek or side like it's part of the brushing, and he's OK with it.

If she wasn't ever touched, her back will be super sensitive, so don't brush or touch it much. But maybe give the brush method a try.

I think it's great that you have SUCH a wonderful attitude about this! I think the long term goal would be being able to pick her up so you can get her in a carrier if there's ever an issue. Even now - doesn't she still need to be spayed? (Sorry, I don't remember!).

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does still need to be spayed. We are going to be moving at the first of the year when our lease is up, so I am going to try to wait until then before I take her in to the vet so that I only have to move her once.

We rent the house that we are in and come to find out they do not want a cat here. When Luna was first trapped I called the rental company to find out about a pet deposit. We have a large dog and they were fine with him so I didn't think when we rented the house that they would not allow cats. Jazz is about 90 pounds. I never knew you had to be specific about pets, I thought they allowed the dog so why would they say no to a cat.

It took the rental place almost 2 months to tell me no cats, and I had to physically go to their office and catch the guy in his office before I got an answer. My husband and I had already decided we were not going to give Luna up no matter if they said no. She is ours and we love her very much!!
She is a part of our family now. We just knew then that we were going to have to move when our lease was up.

I do have plans just in case we have to get her out of the house fast and since she now sleeps inside of her carrier it should not be so difficult. I really only want to do it 1 time.

I think she has been in heat once, but can't say for sure. This is also the reason I don't want to let her out of her room quite yet. I think right now its best to leave her where she is, and when we move try to schedule the spay appointment so that she can make a trip to the vet and then return to our new home that will allow cats (because I now know you have to be specific.)

Also, I want so bad for her to be able to enjoy space with not only me, but my husband and daughter too. I know that when we move its going to be scary for her again. I plan to set her up with her own room and gradually let her explore more, and also we will have to get Luna and Jazz better acquainted than they are now if we ever wish to be able to trust them when left alone.

I think for now I'm just going to let Luna do what she feels comfortable with, as far as petting. I'm not so sure she would let a brush touch her. Its so hard sometimes not to want to pet her. Her fur looks so soft and touchable.

Luna has come a long way in 3 months. There for a while I often wondered if I was doing the right thing by keeping her. I do know now that she is safe, warm, dry, and not hungry. If I had not seen her that day in the trap she may not even be alive right now. I am just happy that she can be comfortable with me and wants to be near me. Its ok that she can't be touched. There were many times when I thought she would hide forever, but now I know she trusts me and that she loves me.

I'm sure too that once she is spayed a lot of her emotions might settle down and petting may go a little easier.

Thanks for the advice!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

As she sleeps in the crate, personally I'd get it done ASAP. She'll forgive you and get over it quickly enough!
I second this, my Miuku I did capture and she did live around two weeks at livingroom, where Mouku met him for 2nd week, then I captured him again, visited vet and bring to upstairs, after few days same with Mouku, both of them are now allowing petting.

What I think is that if you wait, you have more difficult situation to deal with, your other pets are stressed from move, they always are, nothing to avoid that, only to make it easier, then you have Luna, who has to deal with changed enviroment and the vet visit, if others are introduced to Luna at same time it will be probably too much.

For me it feels that gradual changes are better than all at once, also Luna being spayed will forget most of her escaping plans, even my Mauku has associated her home so much to her room that she only briefly visits outside of it and if I leave door open to stairs, she comes to look what is beyond the door, but very briefly and then hurries back to her own safe spot, change did happen in a week after spaying her.

It does change way cat behaves and it seem to be true that they come more affectionate and trusting after being spayed, with Mauku at good day we can both sit on same sofa now, she was climbing the walls when I first met her and at best I could manage was 3 feet with a toy and only for brief moment, change has been really huge.

So I can only recommend to do it ASAP, it might set you back for 1 or 2 weeks, but I'm sure not much more, with a trap might be less than with surprise attack.

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the spay issues is foremost right now, but I agree with LDG on the brush. Lucky, a feral, began to love his brush, a soft needled cat brush. Probably reminds him of grooming. You might try it; just holding it out for Luna to inspect at first. Eventually, as you are brushing you can use your hand a little also. Lucky will follow me when I have the brush now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear Luna is doing well
. I am sure you want to be petting her by now and even though Luna doesn't know it yet, she will eventually enjoy pets. Although, there are some cats not to fond of too much petting. I really like Laurie's brush idea
. That would be a great way to start and then that will take away your fear and hesitation, which Luna can sense.

I really think part of why your progress has been a bit slower is because Luna is not yet spayed. I would not wait any longer. Actually, you will bond much more quickly because you will be the one picking her up and rescuing her from the vet, right?
AND
I bet you will be able to pet her on that day. She will be so happy to see you and I would take advantage of her still being out of it slightly from surgery. You could even bring the brush (by that time she will already know what the brush is all about) and start with that while she is still in the crate. Much luck

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My exprience with brush is not so well, I have let them get used to brush, they play with it a bit for a week or so, but brush scares them, I got much better results with hand, curled fingers, and kind of nods with wrist movement makes Miuku to come and rub his head against my hand, then he is just coming for more and more pets, every day several times a day.

But brush is scary, as is most objects in hand, but hands are not scary, not even for Mouku, only if I have open palm and keep palm up, that is scary for Mouku, Miuku comes to lick palm then, but whatever I have on my hands that seem to cause alertness, so be careful with that, observe behavior, lowering body/head, putting paws separated like standing A, then cat is getting ready to flee and one will know it is time to back off.