Amoxicillin and lethargy

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My 12 year old Oliver had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove a lump on his paw. But the vet also found a nail bed infection on one of his toes. He was sent home with 10 days of Amoxicillin / clavulanic acid for the infection. This is the first time he has Amoxicillin. He was lethargic and has soft stool while on the antibiotics. I carried on as he was still eating and I googled and found these were possible side effects of the antibiotics. It has been 2 days since he finished the Amoxicilli and he’s still lethargic and has less energy than usual.

He has been on doxycycline a number of times and never had any side effects.

He is going back to the vet next week to have his stitches removed but I just want to ask if anyone has negative experience with Amoxicillin. I can’t think of anything else that could cause his low energy. And I’m terribly worried. It’s stressful seeing him so lethargic and sleeping all the time. :(

Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible it could be from the anesthesia. Sometimes that has lingering affects too. You can ask for the doxycycline and see if they will give that if he ever needs it again. You could ask that they make a note on his records. It also may take longer than 2 days to get the antibiotic out of his system. It takes a long time to recover from surgery/infection. As long as he is eating, drinking, using the litter box, he should be fine in time. i am sure he was most likely hurting from that infection and is relaxing now and catching up with his sleep. He will slowly recover and get back to his old self in a few weeks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Soft stools can happen with just about any antibiotic. The lethargy could also be him feeling rough, as antibiotics also tend to do that too. My cat recently went through a 14 day regimen with Amoxicillin and did surprisingly well with it. So, I just think each cat will react differently to various meds. I agree with the above that the surgery/recovery has also played a role in making him feel 'off'. Nonetheless, also as said above, you can ask the vet to use doxy when possible going forward, since he has done OK with it in the past.

I hope to hear that he improves as more time passes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible it could be from the anesthesia. Sometimes that has lingering affects too. You can ask for the doxycycline and see if they will give that if he ever needs it again. You could ask that they make a note on his records. It also may take longer than 2 days to get the antibiotic out of his system. It takes a long time to recover from surgery/infection. As long as he is eating, drinking, using the litter box, he should be fine in time. i am sure he was most likely hurting from that infection and is relaxing now and catching up with his sleep. He will slowly recover and get back to his old self in a few weeks!
Thanks di and bob di and bob . He’s getting older so you are right, he may be taking longer to recovery.

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Soft stools can happen with just about any antibiotic. The lethargy could also be him feeling rough, as antibiotics also tend to do that too. My cat recently went through a 14 day regimen with Amoxicillin and did surprisingly well with it. So, I just think each cat will react differently to various meds. I agree with the above that the surgery/recovery has also played a role in making him feel 'off'. Nonetheless, also as said above, you can ask the vet to use doxy when possible going forward, since he has done OK with it in the past.

I hope to hear that he improves as more time passes.
Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Oliver also has herpes virus and Ibd! So it’s often hard to balance what to give him and what’s causing his symptoms. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats DMG, an immune building supplement found on Walmart, Target, and Amazon online. My cats used to get a Herpes flareup often, they haven't had one in years now since starting the supplement.

TabbyCatandMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give my cats DMG, an immune building supplement found on Walmart, Target, and Amazon online. My cats used to get a Herpes flareup often, they haven't had one in years now since starting the supplement.
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Oliver is getting older and his herpes flare ups are more frequent.