Name three things - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt our store will be that mobbed, although our local weather weenies are calling for light snow on Sunday, so that may mean more shoppers on Saturday. We just decided to hit the grocery store tonight, simply so we don't have to deal with it tomorrow. We will be going to the butcher for fresh chicken wings (and Rick needs a ring of garlic balogna :)  ) on Saturday morning, but that will be it. He said he was going to stop at the cheesemaker on his way home from work tonight for a small wheel of baby Swiss.
Pam, it's amazing what you have in your town. I don't think I've seen a butcher since I left NYC. And a cheese maker too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, Primula, for the size of our area and for as rural as we are, I rather like living here (other than winter, that is). We are considered rural Pennsylvania and we have both Amish and Mennonites living here; we see a lot of horses and buggies and the like. Lots of farms, but lots of chicken and hog barns (factory farms) as well. We have two candy shops in town and both have been around forever; both have very good handmade chocolates. We do have a cheese maker; it's right up the road from us and Rick can --and does -- stop in on his way home from work....their baby Swiss is simply delicious. We have several local wineries in the area; my favorite is Shade Mountain, but the others are good, too.

We actually have several butcher shops around, but I like the one right in town. They have good meats and cheeses.I can call in during the holidays and order our Christmas crown roast of pork; I called in the other week to order our standing rib roast. And I like walking in there and having the people know me. It's nice to walk in and somebody says, "Hey, Pam, how are you?" And the owners know my MIL, so they always ask how she's doing.
 Rick stops in at the post office for stamps and the guy always calls him by name. That's the neat thing about living in a rural area, I guess. People know you.

We have some really neat kitchen stores, too. One is owned by and caters to the Amish, but I'm telling you, I can go in there and find almost anything I want. The cookware and the bakeware that they carry, the canning supplies, pressure cookers and all kinds of accessories for them. It's amazing what they have. Knives....I buy my knives there. They carry Rada knives and they're nice and they're made in the US. I have several Rada knives.

We don't have much in the way of national chain restaurants right here, but we do have some excellent local restaurants and we're not that far away from malls that do have your standard Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.We do have Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse. A Panera's. Many pizza joints and some of them are actually pretty good. Well, we live right outside a small village, so we don't have much of anything. But it's a 7-mile jaunt into town from home.

We don't have a local bakery per se anymore (one recently opened up in a neighboring community, but we haven't had a chance to get in there yet), but there's a restaurant in the county that makes good baked goods and cakes. That's where I get the white coconut cake for our Christmas dinner every year.

We have two universities, one right in town; the other immediately south of us. Because of that, I think our stores in town are a little eclectic. We have a little bit of everything. 

I like being able to go to work, park my car in the parking lot. At lunch I can walk over to the farmers' market for fresh anything, hit the local library, walk out to the natural food store for cashews for Rick. Or I can walk the other way to go into town, hit the butcher shop, hit the candy store, peruse Barnes and Noble for the latest cookbook, grab a sandwich for lunch, grab a gallon of milk at the Giant grocery store, and then go back to work.

It's an interesting place to live and, like I said, other than winter, I do like living here.

Ahem, sorry for the book! 

@LTS3, can't wait til you're done with your organizing! I'm excited to see your pictures.

So today.....Ms. Pepe decided at 4:30 that she was starving to death and awakened us. We feed no cats (or Beasts) before 5:00. She did calm down, but then around 5:10, Miss Amber started muttering for breakfast. Then The Beast got up and started pacing in the bedroom, so we figured she needed to pee. At that point, we decided it might be wise to get up.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, 4.25 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, Rick scooped the boxes. On my way up from the treadmill, I stopped at the freezer and got 3 pounds of ground beef and a pound of bacon out to thaw (for the burgers and the crock pot beans for tomorrow's dinner; my sister called to see what we were doing for the game and they're coming over to join us.)
  • Banking this morning, need to stop in with Rick's mom; she wanted clemantines at the store, so we need to drop them off for her. (Don't know if I mentioned this, but she fell again. They can't stitch her face because her skin is so fragile, so they had to glue her forehead. She's pretty bruised from her fall and her dignity is really bruised, but she's OK overall. Just upset with herself because she fell.) Stop at the butcher this morning.
  • I want to vacuum and Swiffer a bit, wipe down the bathroom a bit.
And that's pretty much it for the day

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester I posted the "before" pictures here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/332039/the-what-are-you-doing-thread-2017#post_4197294

Container Store today for another Elfa door rack and possibly some bins. From the online catalog it doesn't look like the store still sells the bins I currently use in my linen closet. I'll probably have to get a different kind. Or I may get bins elsewhere.

Possibly grocery store and / or BJs but I really don't want to deal with the crowds stocking up for Super Bowl snacks

And be a slug for the rest of the day since I have to work tomorow and it's going to take longer than usual
I've already seen the lab requests
I have to go back and forth between buildings all day. At some point soon a second person will have to be hired and work weekends because there's no way one person can do it all without putting in OT which doesn't get approved.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I like what you did with your linen closet; it looks very nice. We don't have a linen closet per se; we have a hall closet for coats and I store the Dyson there. Our bathroom closet is a huge double closet with five shelves. The laundry hamper is on the floor with packages of paper towels and toilet paper and the container of kitty litter. I also store our Trader Joe's grocery bags in there.

That closet won't be around long, though, as Rick has been drawing up the plans to renovate our bathroom. It will be completely gutted, so the closet will be gone. I think he's planning to start the bathroom late this year or early next year. I get very little say in the bathroom reno; this is his baby. And really, that's fine with me (I think).

This morning:
  • Breakfast for the kids, stripped the bed, on my third load of four loads of laundry. I did the dishes last night and Rick will scoop boxes when he gets back up from his nap.
  • We need to clip Mollipop and Tabby's claws. Tabby needs her ears checked and cleaned; her ears are really good, though. We still check them faithfully on claw-clipping day, but they're in great shape (esp considering how bad they were when she first came here! Poor baby.). Ms. Pepe needs a good brushing.
  • I need a manicure. When I was reading last night, I noticed that I was chomping on my nail polish again. I guess it's better than chewing my nails, but it's still not a good idea.
And I think that's it. I need to get the crock pot beans going and Rick will have to get his burgers formed. He said he's going to do them outside, but well, it's kind of cold out there. We'll see. 

My sister and BIL are coming over to watch the first half of the Super Bowl tonight; they'll go home at halftime. Nobody's all that excited about it; they're coming over for dinner, more than anything. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still need to post the "after" pictures. I'll do that tonight. The linen closet doesn't really look any different, just one more basket added to the Elfa door rack and a small bin on the bottom shelf to hold some small items and the towels and stuff refolded and neatly stacked. The hallway closet hasn't changed other than an Elfa door rack and the tote bags currently sitting on top of the drawer unit until I can get more adhesive hooks. The hallway closet is turning into an extension of my kitchen - I have cans of soup and boxes of Ziploc bags in the door rack.

Need to head back over to the other building to finish up work for the day

If I leave somewhat early, I might go back to the Container Store to get a medium Elfa basket.

Print my completed tax forms and get them ready for the mail.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Monday. Bleck. I could have stayed in bed this morning. Rick did do the burgers on the outside grill yesterday and they were yummy!
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • Pick up The Beast's food at the vet right after work (she's on a special UTI food by Royal Canin)
  • Grab a few groceries tonight after work
  • Scoop the boxes

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I still need to post the "after" pictures. I'll do that tonight. The linen closet doesn't really look any different, just one more basket added to the Elfa door rack and a small bin on the bottom shelf to hold some small items and the towels and stuff refolded and neatly stacked. The hallway closet hasn't changed other than an Elfa door rack and the tote bags currently sitting on top of the drawer unit until I can get more adhesive hooks. The hallway closet is turning into an extension of my kitchen - I have cans of soup and boxes of Ziploc bags in the door rack.

Need to head back over to the other building to finish up work for the day

If I leave somewhat early, I might go back to the Container Store to get a medium Elfa basket.

Print my completed tax forms and get them ready for the mail.
You are so organized.. all my closets are a mess.. have to purge..but....

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular morning things..

Medicate Artie

Brush Artie

Need to pick up some yogurt at Trader Joes

Drop off a donation of food and a couple toys at PetSmart for the adoption area...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
- went to Dick's Sporting Goods looking for Super Bowl gear
- picked up prescriptions
- straighten up and start packing

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam rather alarmed by the factory farm chicken & hog places. Factory farming is the reason I became a vegetarian. I don't want any part of that.

Interesting you're 7 miles from town. We had a house in the Catskills Mountains of New York State. Weekend/holiday house I should say, which was 7 miles from Hancock, NY on the Delaware River. One mile from Stalker, PA. When I first visited there in the late seventies there was an ice cream parlor where an old Greek guy made the ice cream. Long gone now & there is nothing there like you describe in your town.

The thing is people where you live have the means to keep these artisanal places going. Your town hasn't been evicerated by local malls. Sounds real nice.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. The Pats won so got a discounted coffee at Dunkin.
  2. Amazed to find myself thoroughly enjoying Friday Night Lights as I have zero interest in American football. Show ended 6 years ago & am only now watching it for Kyle Chandler & Taylor Kitsch. Everyone in the show though acts very well. Glad I have a new series to watch.
  3. Will have to go to supermarket tomorrow as I am running out of things to eat.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pam rather alarmed by the factory farm chicken & hog places. Factory farming is the reason I became a vegetarian. I don't want any part of that.

Interesting you're 7 miles from town. We had a house in the Catskills Mountains of New York State. Weekend/holiday house I should say, which was 7 miles from Hancock, NY on the Delaware River. One mile from Stalker, PA. When I first visited there in the late seventies there was an ice cream parlor where an old Greek guy made the ice cream. Long gone now & there is nothing there like you describe in your town.

The thing is people where you live have the means to keep these artisanal places going. Your town hasn't been evicerated by local malls. Sounds real nice.
I would have loved to visit that ice cream parlor! A lot of times, those places are great places to visit.

Oh, we have our malls, both indoor and strip malls. And we do shop at them. But all in all, we live in a pretty nice area. Fairly quiet, although we get our share of burglaries and crime sprees. But I really like shopping locally. We are very lucky in that aspect.

But yeah, we do have our share of the chicken and hog barns, especially among the Amish and Mennonite farms. I review those land development plans, so I know what's going on and how many we have. It's scary in a lot of ways. The problem is that, without having a poultry or hog contract with a major company, the farms won't make it. They just won't anymore. They cannot complete with the huge conglomerates. So they build these gigantic barns, bring in the baby chicks, bring in the pigs, and well, you know.  (OK, sorry) The interesting thing, though, at least I think it's interesting, is that some of the farmers are starting to construct solar panels on the roofs of their barns. It's kind of neat to drive by and see the solar panels. They do try new and innovative ways to save money.

It's Tuesday and it's pouring rain outside. Our local weather weenies had been calling for ice, but that didn't materialize around here, thankfully. Not sure about tomorrow and Thursday when we get to the backside (and colder) part of the storm). Forecast is for snow showers and flurries.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed a quick shower
  • Scoop the boxes tonight
  • A quick vacuum
And then I'm going to bed for an early night.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hump Day. This week seems to be going by slowly. (But the weekends fly by!)
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, sorted through the mail, sorted the loads of laundry on the hallway floor, tried to make the bed (I started making it, then Tabby came stumbling out from under the covers, so I left the bed the way it was)
  • Trash night
  • I have 3 loads of laundry waiting for me when I get home tonight
Thought I'd try going to bed early last night. While I did get into bed early, I finished the book I was reading, then nodded off. Rick and The Beast came back to bed around 10:30 and she started snoring. I was awake until 12:30 listening to her snore. I swear she has sleep apnea.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. Rosary Prayer this morning at 7 a.m. Don't ask me why I enjoy stumbling out of bed to walk to the cathedral to do this, but I love it. Little do the others know that I am in my sleepwear. [emoji]128519[/emoji]
  2. On edge because a huge amount of snow is coming tomorrow. You would never think it because it's a lovely day today.
  3. Wish I had an ensuite bathroom. I almost pee myself many times because I am too lazy to walk one room over to the bathroom.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i made the peanut butter brownies -- had one with my lunch, after they'd cooled for a while. i also got the wood stove going, washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and took out the trash then dumped the (wb stove) ash pan.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

today i made the peanut butter brownies -- had one with my lunch, after they'd cooled for a while. i also got the wood stove going, washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and took out the trash then dumped the (wb stove) ash pan.
Yum. I love PB brownies. 

Awakened to snow this morning. It was a little hectic. White Rick already figured he'd be late to work (and surprisingly, he didn't really care that he'd be late) because he wasn't going to go outside all gung-ho to try to clean things up a bit, he did want to get there by 8:00 (his normal starting time is 6:45). He made it. He brought me into my work, too.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, made the bed, did some general straightening-up in the kitchen, grabbed a really quick shower (no time for the treadmill this morning)
  • We'll work on shoveling out the driveway (as far as I know, Rick is not calling our snowplow guy to plow us out, so shoveling it is!)
  • Try to stay awake long enough to watch Supernatural

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've got a lot to do today, but I don't know where I'm starting. I've got to clean the house, keep packing, so some laundry, etc.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, my main thing to do today is to keep the wood stove cranking out heat -- it's currently 17 degrees F here. 

other than that, i scooped the litter boxes, took out the trash. a big relief is that our Punky has a very good (dare i say, normal) appetite today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick brought me into work again this morning. I was perfectly willing to go out and work on shoveling the driveway last night, but he refused. Said it was going to warm up this weekend and, hopefully, some of it would melt. He said that, no way were we shoveling that driveway. We worked a bit at the bottom of the driveway down by the road; because of PennDOT's snowplows, it was worse there. But that was it. However, there's no way he's going to get the truck back up the driveway once he takes it down, so he brought me into work and we took the Tucson. 
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, did some general straightening-up a bit, grabbed a quick shower
  • Scoop the boxes tonight
And truly, I think that's it for the day. He's picking me up after work and I don't think we're leaving the house tonight once we get home. And I don't think I'm doing much tonight either. I'm going to see what it's like during lunch today; if the wind has calmed down a bit, I'm going to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.