Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, both of you. I am getting antsy now because I have not heard anything back all day. I called and spoke with the receptionist. She said he has been very busy. I told her please don't let him go home without calling me. I know, calm down. It will be okay, right.:nod:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet did call we late this afternoon with the blood report. There was nothing really remarkable that showed up. There were a few changes and he is doing some research about that to see if it could be changed because of the steroid Muffin is taking. He or his wife will call me tomorrow again and go over it if he wants me to do anything different. Muffins ALT is back up higher that it was in September when his thyroid was checked. He is having some appetite issues and we are going to have to work through that. Oh, and he did get the rabies shot this morning.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he's just going through a spell of not feeling so well, nothing specific, putting his appetite off? :dk: This happens with Laz from time-to-time. I usually give him an anti-nausea med for a few days, and that usually sorts things out.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin Update. The vet has decided to try Muffin on a liver supplement. S-Adenosyl-L-methionine, which is the same ingredient in Denosyl for cats. He is to take one 100 mg tab daily. Some might remember here that Muffin was tried on Denamarin, which has this ingredient plus milk thistle several years ago because the first bloodwork he ever had showed high ALT. It made him vomit everytime and we quit it because at that time, Muffin showed no other signs of sickness. Everyone please keep Muffin in prayers and positive thoughts that this will work for him. When he had the liver cancer last year, the biopsy showed cancer and liver inflammation. Now that the cancer is gone, his thyroid is being treated, we wanted to try this to improve his liver function.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear he is doing so well and I hope this liver supplement is a good thing for him! 

Yay Muffin! God bless all of you :-)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He had an annual exam and was scheduled for the distemper shot. Turns out the vet didn't give him the shot. For a week or so, his appetite has been up and down. He has lost almost a half pound and is beginning to look bony. He was started on Sam-E a few weeks back to try to help his liver recover from the cancer he had last year. You can read that story here.http://www.thecatsite.com/t/244032/muffin-bad-news-vet-visit-today/240
Well he tolerated the medicine okay but for the last week and a half maybe hos appetite has declined. So the vet didn't give him the shot. His words were he is going through enough without adding to it right now. My instructions are to stop the liver medicine and see if he will bounce back.
Call the vet Friday morning. His thyroid was find when it was checked in January so the vet doesn't want to increase the methimazole. He is thinking more along the lines that if he doesn't bounce back, increase the frequency of the prednisolone. We are hoping that the liver medicine is making him feel sick and he will get better when it gets out of his system. The other thing is Muffins fur is really starting to look straggly. I need some prayers for my boy. I want to cry. He has done so well after his cancer surgery and I am thankful for the last ninemonths we have had him. One day at the time. I try to remember that

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monster vibes! :vibes:
Just a thought.... I know your vet doesn't want to test the thyroid... But the coat condition and the weight loss can be an indication of thyroid issues.... So is appetite fluctuations. It is a cheap enough test to rule out trouble, imho.... Just a thought.... :vibes:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Susan. He didn't eat much last night or again this morning. I have spoken with the vet and he wants to go up again now on the predisolone.
We had tapered him down to 1/2 tablet every third day. The vet wants to give him a jump start with this to get him eating. Then if that works, we will look at the possible increase of the methimazole for his thyroid. Keep the prayers coming everyone.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would spoon or syringe feeding help? Or toppers? Parmesan cheese?

Sending many warm thoughts!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Always worrisome when they aren't eating well.
  (especially after what he's been through)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Peaches and mrsgreenjeans. He is being so picky right now, I am giving him whatever, even though he only gets UR prescription food. But eating something is better than eating nothing. The vet said if increasing the prednisolone dosage is going to work we will see it in a couple days. For now I am struggling and so is Muffin

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, I dont remember if you tried, but have you ever tried fortiflora? Usually works like a charm as a topper :vibes:

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too recommend cyproheptadine. 
I don't know what this is. If it is an appetite stimulant, I already have mertipazine. If he doesn't eat better this morning, I am going to give him that. The dosage is every three days. He didn't eat much at all yesterday. At his dinner meal last night, I tried every kind of cat food I have here in the house. Finally gave him some cut up pieces of rotisserie chicken. He ate a little, but mostly played with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.