Mia is massively overweight

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Timothy was 20 lbs when I adopted him at 13. I put him on Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets OM Overweight Management and he's lost four lbs over the past two years. He's now at a good weight (he's a big framed boy), but I'm keeping him on it for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious what all you did to try to get her to lose weight - things like canned food with high protein/low carbs/high fiber/low fat, feeding more than twice a day, gradually reducing the 1/4 dry food you were giving at night - maybe getting it down enough to offer her treat balls or food puzzles so she has to work at eating it, charting her daily calories, and reducing them gradually, and weighing her weekly to see how the food changes were affecting her weight. Your vet is dead-wrong about a drastic lowering of calories all at once for the purpose of weight loss. The cats most negatively affected by this are overweight cats. Additionally, the weight of a cat is not the only determinant of being overweight - body condition charts should also be used. I have included one below, in case it has not been shared with you before.

There are timed feeders for canned food, with multiple compartments in order to feed multiple times a day. Some of them have compartments for ice so that the food is less likely to spoil when left out for hours. Recording the amount of calories consumed on a daily basis is a must, as are weekly weigh ins.
Hi FeebysOwner so nice to see you and thank you for the reply.

The first year I refused what the vet suggested - when that failed - I have gone to what was suggested and that's been worse.

As of this AM she is close to 20 pounds. She's gained 1.5 in 6 months!

- I try to get her to play but her weight makes it hard for her to move much. I might get 3 minutes of lazy play out of her but it's something.
- I take her upstairs and run her down and repeat. That often scares her a lot though.
- I have charted her food and weight for nearly 2 years. (Occasionally missing a day.) her MAX calories intake is 200 if I mange to not see her cheat. She's at about 170-180 and she doesn't eat all the food so really less than that. On average it's a MAX 175 calories.
-Tried a food ball. It's like she's too dumb to sort it out. No offence to her and not kidding.
-Tried diets. Both my slow way and the vets way. Both failed.
- Tried per and probiotics
-Tried gut enzymes.

-I have not tried a slow feeder - I can try that
-I have not tried a food puzzle or auto feeder - both I can try. I have an auto feeder with ice trays for wet - I didn't use it as Charlie will beat the crap out of it until it opens. I can try to put it out of his sight though but where she can get to it and try.

Yes, I have seen the chart but thank you :-) Oh that chart makes her look skinny at the obese end. She waddles - she doesn't walk she waddles.

I am not sure what the theory/logic is behind feeding only dry food - even one labeled as 'metabolic'. If you compare the carbs in dry vs. wet you will see how much more dry contains, and the odds are the protein is less in the dry than in canned foods. Dry food is also not going to help with either constipation or urinary crystals. My cat was more prone to urinary problems when she was eating dry food only, and she has always been a prolific water drinker compared to most cats. Now she is on canned only, with some water added, and still drinks just as she used to, but (knock on wood) her urinary issues seem to be behind her. Is there a metabolic canned food that you could try? I know Hill's has one, so I suspect others do too.
My thought on the dry food only was to eliminate anything that might be bothering her as her wet food is not the metabolic they can't get it in more than half the time.

Yes, desperate thinking.

Did your vet also run any tests to look for hormonal/adrenal issues? One example of a hormonal issue is hyperadrenocorticism/Cushing's Disease, while rare in cats, it is brought on by excess production of cortisol - which, btw, is called the stress hormone. That could explain your cat's other fear-based behaviors. You may also have to consider x-rays, CT scan/MRI, and even an ultrasound to look for abnormalities related to the adrenal and pituitary glands. I'd talk to the vet about this whole aspect.
...and this to me is exactly what I am starting to think as nothing else is making sense and being told "maybe she's just made that way" doesn't cut it for me. It makes no sense that she was fine and suddenly, while living outdoors in her feral life, gained all this weight. Then got really sick and skinny - got healthy - and regained it the second her emergency was over.

For me I am thinking it has to be medical at this point.. or I am simply not doing enough - in which case I need ot do more. Which could be it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Timothy was 20 lbs when I adopted him at 13. I put him on Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets OM Overweight Management and he's lost four lbs over the past two years. He's now at a good weight (he's a big framed boy), but I'm keeping him on it for now.

Thank you... this makes me feel a bit better that maybe she can do the same. She's 11 in May so maybe all hope is not lost.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're frustrated and questioning everything, but mostly yourself. Do not give this kitty away. Right now you have become her rock, her strongest reality. You are her security.

Yes, the last thing the vet suggested didn't work, nothing has worked as you hoped it would, but if you give her to someone else you are more likely to push her to despair than anything else. There in that place she will either continue to gain weight because her body went into fear world, or she will lose weight because grief decided not to eat.

Weight is woven into emotions, because of the hormones. Fear and anger will make it harder to lose weight. (Not saying that is responsible for her last weight gain, I think that was the vet mistake.) Calm, security helps one lose weight. Your little feral has a lot from before you to recover from. Security is your key. Your not stressing, your being relaxed will help. I know that's hard, but they read our emotions and try to fulfill them. I've read a lot about dieting for people and it's about Not thinking "I'm fat."

What has worked with Sweet Gum is one diet - the dry food we talked about the measured amount. It worked better after we discovered the dog was saving her some of her food. Dog is now on a stricter diet and not saving any for Sweet Gum. That accounted for a pound. (I hadn't expected anything that easy.)

Back to the point - The months Sweet Gum is calm she loses a little bit. The guys came to do repairs on the house, there will be no weight loss this month, because even eating the same if she has a couple of days she's scared (hiding scared and she was) no weight loss.

Right now, I'm going over this again to be sure you won't mistake me. -1- what you are doing is good. -2- stick to the diet -3- try to be calm, don't think of giving her away, if they do understand us that would be terrifying for her to find in your thoughts. -4- try to think of yourself at least half as good at everything as she thinks you are. -5- Write on a piece of paper and tape it to the wall wherever you get most discouraged that this last weight gain was due to the vet's mistake, not to you, not to kitty.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your vet also run any tests to look for hormonal/adrenal issues? One example of a hormonal issue is hyperadrenocorticism/Cushing's Disease, while rare in cats, it is brought on by excess production of cortisol - which, btw, is called the stress hormone. That could explain your cat's other fear-based behaviors. You may also have to consider x-rays, CT scan/MRI, and even an ultrasound to look for abnormalities related to the adrenal and pituitary glands. I'd talk to the vet about this whole aspect.

Lastly, I think you said your cat does not move very well. Aside from the weight, has she been checked for arthritis? Most cats tend to have some degree of arthritis as they age - overweight ones are even more inclined.

Obesity in Cats | PetMD
Update for you: When I picked her up today and we went over some things I asked about weight and cushings. (she was at the vet for issues peeing and pooping and blood in one of them. Turns out peeing blood..)

Her regular Vet wasn't there but the clinic owner was, he looked at her and I think he must have considered that as he said he thought not since her Liver and Kidney values are good as is everything else but a really bad bladder infection. She is now pre-diabetic and he thinks putting her on a diabetic food as it releases sugars etc slower might help. So we will try that and see is anything happens and if not - I'm not sure what the next plan is. Lucky I do have confidence in these vets so I'm going to stay on this until we find a solution should this not be it.

I'm going to try those other things too.

I know you're frustrated and questioning everything, but mostly yourself. Do not give this kitty away. Right now you have become her rock, her strongest reality. You are her security.

Yes, the last thing the vet suggested didn't work, nothing has worked as you hoped it would, but if you give her to someone else you are more likely to push her to despair than anything else. There in that place she will either continue to gain weight because her body went into fear world, or she will lose weight because grief decided not to eat.
KFlowers! So nice to see another friendly face! It's been too long since I've seen you all.

Honestly this was more fear than frustration. Seeing those extra two pounds the only thing I kept thinking was "I'm going to kill her. She's going to die if this keeps up. She's going to die in pain and early.I am failing her and she's going to die." I thought a month away from home might stress her but I couldn't think of any options that would save her but you are right - that would probably be worse as she wouldn't understand.

I wouldn't have given her away forever. I was thinking a month to see if someone else could do better or get her under control. Yes, that was pure fear for her life talking. I love her that much that if that's what worked - I would if it meant she lived a long good life. (I know that not the reality though but I think you know what I mean.) It wouldn't though.I know that on some level.

Weight is woven into emotions, because of the hormones. Fear and anger will make it harder to lose weight. (Not saying that is responsible for her last weight gain, I think that was the vet mistake.) Calm, security helps one lose weight. Your little feral has a lot from before you to recover from. Security is your key. Your not stressing, your being relaxed will help. I know that's hard, but they read our emotions and try to fulfill them. I've read a lot about dieting for people and it's about Not thinking "I'm fat."

What has worked with Sweet Gum is one diet - the dry food we talked about the measured amount. It worked better after we discovered the dog was saving her some of her food. Dog is now on a stricter diet and not saving any for Sweet Gum. That accounted for a pound. (I hadn't expected anything that easy.)

Back to the point - The months Sweet Gum is calm she loses a little bit. The guys came to do repairs on the house, there will be no weight loss this month, because even eating the same if she has a couple of days she's scared (hiding scared and she was) no
I'm playing music for her during the day and have picked up more stress treats for her tonight. Anything and everything that will help.

I know she is so slow to trust but I really thought after this long of being inside now she would see how safe it is. Her sisters seem too. Her everything is so threatening. When she comes upstairs I'm so excited but you can't move fast or walk towards her when she does or she runs straight back downstairs to her safe zone. She seems to look like she is getting better and then doesn't.

She is happiest sitting on the couch and loves to be petted and brushed and made a fuss of. That's often what I do.

I've picked up a new scale - one that I think will scare her less. (She's frightened of the current one - I have to stand and weight us both.) This one I can coax her on (ground level baby scale w/ a hold feature) and I think that might be better for her.

OMG repairs on the house... &^%$. I had waited several years to do the kitchen because the ferals were so scared. I had no stove or anything - cooked on a burner LOL. Then I waited and other year and just did the floor upstairs. That was very loud and scary for two weeks and this is the exact time period that those two extra pounds came on. (I had also started to feed her the vets way a couple months before. Double whammy.)

How is sweetgums now?

Right now, I'm going over this again to be sure you won't mistake me. -1- what you are doing is good. -2- stick to the diet -3- try to be calm, don't think of giving her away, if they do understand us that would be terrifying for her to find in your thoughts. -4- try to think of yourself at least half as good at everything as she thinks you are. -5- Write on a piece of paper and tape it to the wall wherever you get most discouraged that this last weight gain was due to the vet's mistake, not to you, not to kitty.
XOXOXO Thank you.

I will stay the course. I will keep trying to make her feel safe and comfortable. Add puzzle feeders and different things until something sticks. I'm not giving up on her. Love her too much for that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so relieved I was right about you. I couldn't believe you felt you had to give her away. I can understand the for her survival thinking on the month away, but no. When she goes into that month (week, day) she will assume it is forever. I know you were trying to put her first regardless of yourself, but oddly enough sometimes what is good for our own hearts is what is good for them. No blame or fault to you, it is a trap often set for those who love the small ones in this world.

Do you ever put a pallet on the floor and sleep by her sofa?

I've done the one burner cooking, actually a hot plate which sat on top of the no longer functioning stove. It gives one a minimalist version of cooking.

Points to consider, my cat who became diabetic was thin. She was on the Hill's w/d and r/d for snacks (there were others who were not thin in the group so that was their dry food) The vet said the w/d and r/d were helpful in keeping cats from getting diabetes. That actually didn't seem to be the case. ESPECIALLY if you look at the ingredients, which I didn't know to do then -- carb city. Again, no blame to you for following what your vet said, but now you know that vets aren't all that on diets and nutrition, right? good? move forward.

Whatever happens you are close to a vet, you can keep her crossing over from being horrible. The vet told me if I didn't get the cat her insulin -- like if something delayed me for a day or longer (yes, hospital, whatever) -- or if I gave her too much she would slip into a coma and just never wake up. She did say if I were there when she went into a coma, give the insulin if that was the case, or if it was too much insulin put a little corn syrup on her gums and bring her in. Finding out the worst case scenario and how to deal with it is always a good start. (well, you'll have nightmares, but at least you'll know what to do.)

Now the house is in good enough shape for you guys to live in it. Stop fixing it until you have to replace the roof. patch other things yourself and keep the strangers out. From reading what you've written kitty is terrified of strangers. Maybe her sisters aren't. It makes me think some little boy grabbed her when she was still outside and was playing with her, perhaps with no intent to harm, and frightened her. She sees that little boy whenever she sees a stranger.

Sweet Gum is the same and she was never around other people as a kitten. We got her at 5 weeks, but she saw her siblings and mother vanish one by one. We didn't realize what was happening -- raccoons. We thought they were safe under the deck... Never mind, no matter what you do, you miss something important. I'll leave it at that not meander into philosophy.

Point is you're doing good for your girl. She'll feel safer when no strangers come in or near the house. (Sweet Gum hides when people come to the door, cut the grass, tow the car out of the driveway.) Strangers other than the vet haven't even approached her, but there you are.

You and kittikins can do this. Your hearts are entwined forever. Sleeping on a pallet on the floor by her sofa is good for your back as well as her. And it's cooler in the summer.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little PS here. When you are frightened of everything, any change in the routine, any at all, is disturbing. A curtain that's usually closed is opened - why? Who opened that? Is it a trap? Hide under the sofa until you're certain there are no strangers in the house. Furniture re-arranged - Danger! Danger! - hide. Person late coming home - hide (unless she is used to you having no schedule at all.)

It's tricky, but the more hiding places the better. (I say this as the woman who made six or so sturdy boxes into kitty houses with front and back doors and hallways inside, so Sweet Gum could get away from the I-LOVE-CATS dog we rescued. Sweet Gum refused to go in any of the kitty houses. They are okay together.

If you can keep everything calm in the house, no repairs, no furniture moving AND no getting annoyed with yourself if you slip and say a cranky darn when you forget. Remember always when you are afraid and angry (which is pre-fight, pre-defend your life to her) she thinks there is something in the house that can take you out and you are so much bigger and stronger than she is, the monster will kill her for sure. It's hard to not get angry with stuff like dropping something, but
you can do it.

I had a dog who could tell any time I was upset even when I wasn't home. If I got upset away from the house she would freak and I'd get to spend the evening fixing things. It only happened when I got upset/angry/afraid away from the house. In the house she would go protective watch beside me. So, I learned to never get upset/angry/afraid out of the house. When she crossed over, without thinking I went back to the way I was before. Point being, you can do this.

Wall of text scare you? Sorry about that, but I've thought so much about this in my own life with the terrified.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question: If she's not even eating the 175 calories the vet wants her eating - is it possible - like humans she'd gain weight?

I'm so relieved I was right about you. I couldn't believe you felt you had to give her away. I can understand the for her survival thinking on the month away, but no. When she goes into that month (week, day) she will assume it is forever. I know you were trying to put her first regardless of yourself, but oddly enough sometimes what is good for our own hearts is what is good for them. No blame or fault to you, it is a trap often set for those who love the small ones in this world.
When I first brought the Feral in - I thought about rehoming them all as I really thought I was going to kill them by accident. My head went there with Mia again because of that. All I want is for them to thrive and be happy, healthy and live a decent life. You're right though - they don't know this and wouldn't understand. They would probably feel abandoned.

A little PS here. When you are frightened of everything, any change in the routine, any at all, is disturbing. A curtain that's usually closed is opened - why? Who opened that? Is it a trap? Hide under the sofa until you're certain there are no strangers in the house. Furniture re-arranged - Danger! Danger! - hide. Person late coming home - hide (unless she is used to you having no schedule at all.)

It's tricky, but the more hiding places the better. (I say this as the woman who made six or so sturdy boxes into kitty houses with front and back doors and hallways inside, so Sweet Gum could get away from the I-LOVE-CATS dog we rescued. Sweet Gum refused to go in any of the kitty houses. They are okay together.
She has lots of places to hide (I've made sure of it for sure.) but yes.. exactly as you described scared of literally everything. EG: I had to tape up a box last night to send back and the tape noise scared her. Her eyes widen and I softly spoke to her and said "Just tape. Just taping up a box. It's okay." If you walk too close to her - she wants to run. She actually watches your feet. If I turn my feet sideways and walk towards her - she often stays put. Very odd. It took nearly a year to get her to come out of her safe room full time.

The only time she stays still is if she is laying down sleeping and you go to pet her or sit beside her. When you pet her... the first time your hand goes to touch her - she winces like she thinks you're going to hit her. Breaks my heart that she is still so scared of so much after being inside for so long now. She's never adjusted to where she feels completely safe. It's heart breaking.

If you can keep everything calm in the house, no repairs, no furniture moving AND no getting annoyed with yourself if you slip and say a cranky darn when you forget. Remember always when you are afraid and angry (which is pre-fight, pre-defend your life to her) she thinks there is something in the house that can take you out and you are so much bigger and stronger than she is, the monster will kill her for sure. It's hard to not get angry with stuff like dropping something, but you can do it.
The house is normally quite quite. Nothing is usually loud or crazy. No little children or dogs, or loud music. The neighbourhood is on a crescent and quite peaceful in general. If I freak out - I usually leave the house. When I started to get worried about her peeing blood - I went outside to call the vet and sat and cried and calmed down before I went back in to get her as I understand she'll pick up on that otherwise.

The whole house needs renovating but most of it I can live this as it's cosmetic walls repairs etc. Nothing that could cause issues. The "must fixes" are near done. There is one last area that there is no choice - unless I want mold. The main bathroom. So far I managed to patch some areas with tuck tape (not to be confused with duct tape) and when I fixed a problem with the plumbing I had to cut into the wall and repaired it make shift area with white cut out pieces of plastic letter boxes and caulking. While it's done the job for preventing water from travelling - it's only a temp fix. It's finding a contractor I actually trust that is the delay. I have to do it this summer or fall though. It really can't be delayed much longer. (BTW If I showed you pics of the baseboards from the last guy - you'd be sick it's such a bad job.)

I think the rip apart day will be the worst of the noise. I can get some meds from the vet for that day or even pay to board her for the day at the vet if need be. (She seems okay when at the vets - just getting her there stresses her and I have gabapentin for that.)

I had a dog who could tell any time I was upset even when I wasn't home. If I got upset away from the house she would freak and I'd get to spend the evening fixing things. It only happened when I got upset/angry/afraid away from the house. In the house she would go protective watch beside me. So, I learned to never get upset/angry/afraid out of the house. When she crossed over, without thinking I went back to the way I was before. Point being, you can do this.

Wall of text scare you? Sorry about that, but I've thought so much about this in my own life with the terrified.
Animals are amazing like that aren't they.

More meditation for me I think as I am a worrier by nature. Not near as bad as when I was younger - but I still worry.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question: If she's not even eating the 175 calories the vet wants her eating - is it possible - like humans she'd gain weight?
This is what I worry about with my overweight girl, too. The serve per day of Purina Pro Plan Weight Loss is 56g for 196 calories and that’s just more than she can get through. She’s supposed to be on 200 calories per day.

I’m so sorry you’re having such a struggle with lovely Mia!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I worry about with my overweight girl, too. The serve per day of Purina Pro Plan Weight Loss is 56g for 196 calories and that’s just more than she can get through. She’s supposed to be on 200 calories per day.

I’m so sorry you’re having such a struggle with lovely Mia!
I'm sorry that you're struggling too. Not an easy journey at all is it.

Can I ask how much you gal weighs?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her weight is listed in post #42 of this thread -
That's my Mia's. I was wondering about catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback kitty. :):redtabby:

We seem to be wondering the same thing since both kitty are overweight but can't even eat the lowest amount of food calories. It's a struggle. So it's not over eating that's making them fat.

Mia's already been checked over the years for Thyroid, diabetes etc.
As of her visit last week with her blood in pee - she is now pre-diabetic. So that's another issue. Being pre gives me a shot at reversal though.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooops!!! Sorry about that, must not have had enough coffee this morning!!! :rolleyes2::blush:
I know that feeling! :lol:

Can I ask how much you gal weighs?
Yep, she was 5.2 kg last time I weighed her, which at least was the same as last time at the vet. She’s around 20% overweight. Ideally she’d be about 4kg, though at this point getting her down to 4.5 seems like a pipe dream!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, for heavy cats, can you-all (keeping in mind to start small, as in short distances initially) use the food dish in your hand and have your cat follow you. At first across the room. Then across the room and back, then back and forth a few times, then start going around the house, then stair steps if you have them, a few at first, et al.

Exercise is just as important for them as it is to us, and can be a key component of forward progress in weight loss, especially with cats since calorie deprivation can head into the realm of other types of negative/bad diminishing returns.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp looking at this new food calories - I think I can manage to get the 175 cals in her. rather than the 90 - 130 she'll eat now but helk if I'm going to have to be very careful! (You'll see why in a second.)

Old dry: 289 kcal/cup† (she was getting 1/4 cup which she barely ate all of.) (72.25)
New Dry: (get ready...) 605 kcal cup WOAWWW (this will have to be 1/8 of a cup. (75.62)

Now granted the new food is much smaller than the old pieces.

Old Wet: 188 per 5.5 oz (1/2 can a day two meals) 94 - which she only ate about 1/2 of. She had three different ones I went with but roughly the same calories.
New Wet: 163 per 5.5 oz can (1/2 can a day two meals) 81.5 - which she only ate about 1/2 of.and this I have to change as She needs to eat more wet.

I can put a few bits of dry food aside as a topper and that may encourage her to eat more of the wet. So I hope I can get her up to the 175 calories. I could also add another wet food meal to try to bump it up.

We have three goals with her now.

1. Prevent diabetes as she is pre-diabetic.
2. Get her urine under control so she's not having issues.
3. Get her weight to something reasonable.

I HATE dry food but until I can convince her to eat the wet more - we're at fix the issues first - worry about the quality of the food second.

I know that feeling! :lol:
:lol: yup!

Yep, she was 5.2 kg last time I weighed her, which at least was the same as last time at the vet. She’s around 20% overweight. Ideally she’d be about 4kg, though at this point getting her down to 4.5 seems like a pipe dream!
Nope not a dream - you can do this.

If I can take on a near 20 pound cat and others have done this successfully - you can get your baby down that couple of pounds. I have faith!! It's not going to be fun though or pretty . In fact - it's going to suck... but worth it in the end. We just have to keep an eye on the prize... a better, longer and healthier life form them.

Hi, for heavy cats, can you-all (keeping in mind to start small, as in short distances initially) use the food dish in your hand and have your cat follow you. At first across the room. Then across the room and back, then back and forth a few times, then start going around the house, then stair steps if you have them, a few at first, et al.
Furballsmom XOXOX nice to see you lovely!

I can probably get her to do that with the dry food. The wet food she's al excited until she sees it and then looks at me like "What is this nonsense!" Maybe I can trick her. :cool:

I have plenty of stairs. So far I pick her up and carry her all the way to the top floor and she runs down like I've tried to kill her. I might get two times in before she'll avoid me. I do this in the AM before work and then at night when I'm home. Getting her to chase me for food however - that could work. She might willingly do that. I'll try that tonight at dry food time.

Exercise is just as important for them as it is to us, and can be a key component of forward progress in weight loss, especially with cats since calorie deprivation can head into the realm of other types of negative/bad diminishing returns.
This cat is practically stationary unless she is running in fear. You'd think the amount she does that - she'd have her exercise in!

If she is on the ground I have to walk sideways. If my feet point towards her - she'll bolt. Not a good indication of what may have happened to her in her outside years. :sniffle: Wind and rain. She's in the basement most times. Lightening - oh she's gone to the basement. New people - basement. Even when friends visit and they are upstairs - she hears them - gone.

Daisy happily follows me around and jumps up on the bed or the kitchen bench to eat her dins. :lol:
:lol: nice! :)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts poor Mia, so scared! Daisy’s not like that, she’ll come out to say hello to most of our regular visitors, and she and Phoebe like cavorting around my room at night. The real exercise problem is simply lack of space. My unit is tiny, a 3m square living room and even smaller bedroom connected by a short galley kitchen. I wonder whether she would use an exercise wheel, but there’s not much point since I have no room for one. It’d be different if it was just them and me, but I am carer for my 90yo mother, who uses a two-wheel walker. Two people in a unit made for one is tight (Mum sleeps in the unit next door, they don’t have two bedroom units here). So far Daisy hasn’t taken to her new, more secure harness, and I’m not taking her outside in the old one again, too easy for her to slip out when she gets a fright - and she got a big fright from someone moving around in their own unit recently. 🙄

I just wish I could find a dry food that has 200 calories in smaller amounts than what she’s on!