Mia is massively overweight

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp I have no idea what's up with this kitty. She should be 10 -12 pounds at the very most. She's now 17.5. She gained over 1.5 pounds of that in 8 months. She's been steady gaining since she was brought in 2 years ago however... she had started to gain weight when she was a feral living outside.

After her emergency she lost the weight (Mind you refusing to eat I think did that.) When she started to gain too much weight she was tested for hyperactive thyroid and diabetes. Both okay. but that was 1.5 years ago.

She's been inside 2 years now.

It's a multi-cat home and she was sneaking extra food but for a years + now I've been watching closely. For at least 3 months she's had one meal reduced. I had expected to see a small reduction in her weight not a whooping 1.5 pound gain. She doesn't eat, from what I can see, enough to have her gain all that. I've also been moving her more too.

Her annual visit was last Monday (her vet is on Mat leave so another dr is looking after her) they have placed her on a metabolic diet. (Hills) 1 can wet and 1/4 cup dry + a few treats. This would bring her, if she eats it all, which is part of what I said above, 220 calories. Why does this concern me? She 17.5 pounds, that calorie count would be for if she was 10.5 pounds. I of course will comply but will be weighing her weekly to make sure the drop isn't too fast - IF she drops at all.

During her physical they did have to empty her anal glands as she occasionally has a thing there but forgot to do her bloodwork. In fairness to the vet I guess not everyone get bloodwork done for their kitties on annual check ups. Needless to say she is back at the vets today getting that done and they want to do Urine work too.

I guess a few things:
If it's not overeating - what else causes weight gain in kitties? I mentioned having her tested Hypo-active thyroid to the vet last week and she dismissed it. Which is fine.
What else can I do to help her?
Anyone have experience with the metabolic hills?

Edit to add: They are going to do the Thyroid. If I'm wrong, and probably am - great, but all the weight gain fast with the amount she's eating just seems really off. I'm glad we'll rule that out.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not an expert on animal weight but would recommend new tests for diabetes and hypothyroid; however, as for the second test, I was told by a vet that dogs are much more prone to hypothyroid and cats to hyperthyroid. Having said that, it has also been my experience.

Of my two diabetic cats, on was seriously overweight and one was normal weight.

I am facing the same thing right now with the sister of my avatar who has recently become indoor only after her life as a feral. Elise eats very happily which is what I suspect is the main cause of her weight gain and have just started the restricted, or less food available, eating plan. Her sister is normal weight,even slender, and the one remaining feral sister outside is almost slender despite having access to food at all times.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. XO

I am not an expert on animal weight but would recommend new tests for diabetes and hypothyroid; however, as for the second test, I was told by a vet that dogs are much more prone to hypothyroid and cats to hyperthyroid. Having said that, it has also been my experience.

Of my two diabetic cats, on was seriously overweight and one was normal weight.

I am facing the same thing right now with the sister of my avatar who has recently become indoor only after her life as a feral. Elise eats very happily which is what I suspect is the main cause of her weight gain and have just started the restricted, or less food available, eating plan. Her sister is normal weight,even slender, and the one remaining feral sister outside is almost slender despite having access to food at all times.
Hi fionasmom fionasmom I think they are doing the diabetes as they seem to want her pee realllyyy bad. I was glad they are testing for the hypo. I know that's rare but I have several issues with cats and "rare" things so it wouldn't shock me. I am hoping that it all comes back as "She's just fat" and I can focus on only her food and exercise.

Is the diabetes hard to manage?

This sounds a lot like us. Her other two sisters inside as normal / slender - they are also more active and social. Mia is still very shy inside. She's come a long way since first being brought in but still less active and more prone to hiding / stationary. I have a back split so I've been exercising Mia by picking her up - taking her all the way upstairs and having her run down lol. She does not approve of this. :flail:

220 calories is kind of high for weight loss, and even a bit high for maintenance. I think usually, for a cat who should weigh around 10 pounds, a diet of around 180 calories is more common, sometimes even less.
Getting Your Cat to Lose Weight - All Feline Hospital located, 2300 S. 48th St. Suite 3 Lincoln, NE 68506.

Personally, I'd cut out the dry food completely, or maybe use a few as treats if she's totally addicted to kibble. The carbs in kibble make some cats just blow up.
Hi W Willowy

Okay I have bad math then - thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! I was worried I was going to starve her. The food is 210.25 I added the extra for treats. I was using this for calcs:

CALORIE CALCULATOR FOR CATS

Thank you for that link - I'm going to read up as I don't want her dying young, or having joint issues for something I can help.

She def a carb addict. So I think once this is relatively under control that will be something I start doing. ATM all the kids are fed twice a day wet and then a small amount of dry as a treat. They were at 3 wet meals but I took the one away. The meals are very small, like 1/4 of a 5.5 once can each cat, per meal.I did the math and it didn't seem that high, but when she was sneaky and add the dry food and yup - that's where it was. So I removed 1 wet meal and lowered the dry a bit, plus exercise - yet the weight gain continued. (and she wasn't sneaking.)

Last year she was so sneaky - she would ninja her way upstairs and eat Charlies food. (wet food) and I've watched her like a hawk every since I caught her. I think that is where the initial weight gain came from.

Like you - I really don't like the dry food for kitties.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Elise is definitely living the good life since she handed in her feral card and spends a lot of time at the smorgasbord which is what I suspect is the problem with her weight. My husband is in love with her and very worried that I do something immediately to help her, and I do see his point.

Diabetes is so much easier to manage than people think and I have said that I would rather give insulin to a cat than have to pill them...not that I wish they would become diabetic, but that it is just not the terrible issue that it seems. A lot of people here can help you and there is an excellent support group at felinediabetes.com/FDMB which someone here directed me to when I had a very obscure question about insulin. Don't worry that you cannot handle a diabetic cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why does this concern me? She 17.5 pounds, that calorie count would be for if she was 10.5 pounds. I of course will comply but will be weighing her weekly to make sure the drop isn't too fast - IF she drops at all.
You are correct in that she should NOT be immediately dropped from her current food intake down to the intake that is appropriate for a 10 pound cat. Her calories should be reduced incrementally over time. She should lose no more than 1-2% of her weight in any given week. Determine her caloric intake before any reductions - then reduce it by no more than 10% per week. So, for example, if she is currently eating 300 calories, I would NOT reduce her calories by more than 30 to start with. Then, weigh her and see what she has lost. Technically, her weight shouldn't be reduced any more than 3-4 oz per week. And, no cat should lose more than a pound over the course of a given month.

Continue this process, and adjust as needed, until you have reduced her weight safely. This approach will also help her to adapt to less food more easily. And, I wouldn't cut out her dry altogether right off the bat either. Reduce it as you will reduce her canned - some at a time. This isn't a race - it is a process - unless the vet is telling you it is urgent to have her drop as fast as possible. Even then, I would be skeptical.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just picked Mia up form the Doctor. She finally had enough pee that they have that sample too. PHEW. The idea of dragging her back again for it made me sad. Hopefully no more dragging her to the Doc until next year. They did a fine needle aspiration on a small lump I found on her neck just below her ear too. Probably nothing but I'd rather it be done.

We should have the results tomorrow for most, if not all of it.

Elise is definitely living the good life since she handed in her feral card and spends a lot of time at the smorgasbord which is what I suspect is the problem with her weight. My husband is in love with her and very worried that I do something immediately to help her, and I do see his point.

Diabetes is so much easier to manage than people think and I have said that I would rather give insulin to a cat than have to pill them...not that I wish they would become diabetic, but that it is just not the terrible issue that it seems. A lot of people here can help you and there is an excellent support group at felinediabetes.com/FDMB which someone here directed me to when I had a very obscure question about insulin. Don't worry that you cannot handle a diabetic cat.
Isn't it amazing how so many ferals don't mind handing in that card. :-)

I understand his point too. I really thought we were on the road to weight-loss for her until the vet said 17.5 pounds. Now I'm like "Ok Mia - this is serious business. We need to work harder!"

Thank you for that. I'm hoping not to need it - but I'd much rather be prepared for the worst. Best case is they tell me she's only fat and I need to pull up our socks and get it sorted. XOXOXOXO

You are correct in that she should NOT be immediately dropped from her current food intake down to the intake that is appropriate for a 10 pound cat. Her calories should be reduced incrementally over time. She should lose no more than 1-2% of her weight in any given week. Determine her caloric intake before any reductions - then reduce it by no more than 10% per week. So, for example, if she is currently eating 300 calories, I would NOT reduce her calories by more than 30 to start with. Then, weigh her and see what she has lost. Technically, her weight shouldn't be reduced any more than 3-4 oz per week. And, no cat should lose more than a pound over the course of a given month.

Continue this process, and adjust as needed, until you have reduced her weight safely. This approach will also help her to adapt to less food more easily. And, I wouldn't cut out her dry altogether right off the bat either. Reduce it as you will reduce her canned - some at a time. This isn't a race - it is a process - unless the vet is telling you it is urgent to have her drop as fast as possible. Even then, I would be skeptical.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Thank you :-)

I'm glad I'm not nuts. I kept running the numbers and thinking how wrong they were.

Exactly! Reduction of calories - not here you go crash diet for you and get fatty liver and die. I say no-thank-you to that.

I'll be weighing her once a week and if it's going to fast I will up her food. It'll be several weeks before I can even get to the amounts the vet wants as she's not taking to the wet food very well. (Upsetting her tummy so I'm reducing the amount of the new wet food mixed with her current.) I'll be watching her weight like a hawk.

I agree - process not race. The Vet hasn't said urgent but at 17.5 pounds, when she should be 10 -12 MAX. Probably closer to 10 for perfect, so she does need to get that down before something bad happens (hopefully hasn't already) but I'm with you - slow and steady wins.

As much as I hate dry, I will keep her on that too for now. We can slowly get the carb-a-holic under control but that too is slow. That's like someone taking away my tea all at once. Yup - no-thank-you. Not going to happen.

It's funny - the new diet actually gives her more food and a lot less calories. The amount is something she probably won't eat, but we'll have to watch, wait and see. (This is why I was so surprised about her weight gain as she wastes food. She eats less than her sisters and they are the right weight. It's odd. Mind you - her sisters are far more active than she is too.)

I'm going to keep with our exercise too. 3 -6 times a day (morning and when I get home from work) I carry her up several flights of stairs and she goes back down. Rinse and repeat. She hates it but tough luck - she needs to move.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Results are in. (Except for her biopsy and I've okay'd checked the protein amount in the urine.)

Bottom line / short version: She's overweight. (But it gets a bit interesting too.)

Urine: Concentrated - most of my cats are that way. She needs to drink more. So we'll be on that. Small amounts of crystals in the urine, which are apparently normal for that concentration. Thyroid fine. No diabetes at this stage. WOOT HOOT!

Blood: All good but I'm still going to review those and her urine.

Here's where it gets a bit weird - or not. (This is my first overweight kitty so it's all new.)

She's dropped 0.6 pounds in a week. Dr told me she was 17.8 last week. This week 17.2. It was mentioned that she possibly wiggled a bit last week on the scale and the weight is off as a result, but I'm thinking probably close to accurate.

At this point, I am almost 100% sure most of the extra calories have to have been coming from her dry food as they only change has been reducing the normal dry food and adding in the low cal hills dry food. (The wet transition has been very slow (as in barely any) mixed in with her normal as it was making her tummy sour.)

So ATM I'm going to go with dry food is the main issue for her weight gain. (Even though she doesn't get very much.) and the calorie count needs to go back up as we are correct that it is far to low for her.

What are your thoughts on my conclusions etc etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, losing .6 in a week is too much, but with the possibility of scale error. . .idk if I'd change anything unless she loses that much this week too.

Do you have a good scale? I think it would be best to weigh on the same reliable scale every time and not rely on the vet's scale to not have gotten decalibrated by a big dog jumping on it, lol.

This thread is a really good success story, check it out:
Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news so far on her results! I think you have a good plan. The dry is almost always higher in carbs than any wet, so getting that reduced should give you results. You can only try it and see what happens. Trial and error!
Yes, very good indeed. I was relieved and very, very glad to be wrong.

Trial and error. No killing kitty from extra love in either direction. Slow and steady. She's not going to thank me at all for this, but I think once she's down to a more reasonable weight she will feel much better overall. It'll be worth her temporary wrath/crankiness.

Maybe she'll eat more wet once we're at the stage of way less dry. That in turn would help her water intake too. She does tend to chow down more on the little bit of dry and less on the wet atm.

Yeah, losing .6 in a week is too much, but with the possibility of scale error. . .idk if I'd change anything unless she loses that much this week too.

Do you have a good scale? I think it would be best to weigh on the same reliable scale every time and not rely on the vet's scale to not have gotten decalibrated by a big dog jumping on it, lol.

This thread is a really good success story, check it out:
Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight
Yeah, when the vet said that I was *gulp* wt helk I didn't drastically alter her diet.

I went back to what you said about seeing some cats bloat out on carbs and went hmmm something to this for her perhaps.

I don't have a great scale but it's pretty decent accuracy wise. It's only in KG though. Like it will do 10.2 KG and I can convert to pounds easily.

What do you think about buying a baby scale? Right now I have to weigh myself 3 times then grab her and weight us both 3 times. (In case of error.)

LOL I never even considered that it could need calibrating. DOH.

Love that thread, thank you. Going to read up.

27 pounds... that makes me more hopeful for Mia's chances.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wet food will help with the crystals as well. Make sure its not fish though, I like Rawz, Koha and Hounds and gatos for wet food the most. Getting off the dry I agree will help. My first cat got obese when free fed dry food, even when switched to mostly wet her weight loss was back and forth. Once on all wet food it was much easier. As you can see she was quite.. um round. Hope the biopsy comes back clear to.

092.JPG

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wet food will help with the crystals as well. Make sure its not fish though, I like Rawz, Koha and Hounds and gatos for wet food the most. Getting off the dry I agree will help. My first cat got obese when free fed dry food, even when switched to mostly wet her weight loss was back and forth. Once on all wet food it was much easier. As you can see she was quite.. um round. Hope the biopsy comes back clear to.

View attachment 348421
What a total beauty! Did she ever manage to keep most of the weight off?

I've never been a fan of dry food. It's always been used as a way to make sure they were eating enough calories as they are graziers (all except Charlie) and I don't free feed as I was always worried they'd over eat. (Not that this method has been good for Mia *sigh* she still managed to do that somehow.)

I've started adding some more water to the wet food with the bone broth so hopefully this helps too. I have to be careful or I'll end up making their wetfood into soup! lol

Thank you - me too. I'd love to have an all clear for her.

She's been much more relaxed since her anal glands were done again. I'm going to keep a closer watch on that too. I have to clean her bum nightly as she's too big to keep herself very clean there.

I'll post so pictures soon too.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a baby scale is probably best, or a kitchen scale (some go up to 25-30 pounds) if you put a box on it for her to sit in.
Baby scale it is! I just checked my kitchen one - not quite going to handle her lol. I think it will be better than me holding her and weighing. Probably more accurate too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Very happy that you don't have to face diabetes and can proceed from here with the weight loss. Elise's problem is definitely dry food and I am transitioning to more wet. All of my cats who ever only preferred wet seemed to maintain their weight much better.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby scale it is! I just checked my kitchen one - not quite going to handle her lol. I think it will be better than me holding her and weighing. Probably more accurate too.
I bought a digital baby/pet scale and it is not accurate at all. The vet's office weighed Feeby 6 oz less than the scale I bought. So, be leery which one you buy. You might even ask here about 'trustworthy' scales members have bought. I am hearing that postal scales are likely more accurate - and, probably more expensive, but that is OK by me if I feel I can better rely on their reading. I am going to be checking out postal scales, and consider my $55 baby scale a loss. Sorry for complicating things for you, but just thought you would want to know.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very happy that you don't have to face diabetes and can proceed from here with the weight loss. Elise's problem is definitely dry food and I am transitioning to more wet. All of my cats who ever only preferred wet seemed to maintain their weight much better.
Thank you. :cool:

Wet, I think too, is the way to go for most cats. I know for some folks the budget doesn't work for it, but I can make mine work for it so I'm lucky.

It's amazing how a lot of cats are addicted to dry. I call it Kitty crack.

I'm also amazed to be seeing that the small amount I give them is enough to have her gain so much weight. Goes to show how many calories are really in them. I'm of the belief that the calories and feeding on most bags/cans are not quite that accurate. I find the feeding guidelines on cans and bags way more than what they should be.

I bought a digital baby/pet scale and it is not accurate at all. The vet's office weighed Feeby 6 oz less than the scale I bought. So, be leery which one you buy. You might even ask here about 'trustworthy' scales members have bought. I am hearing that postal scales are likely more accurate - and, probably more expensive, but that is OK by me if I feel I can better rely on their reading. I am going to be checking out postal scales, and consider my $55 baby scale a loss. Sorry for complicating things for you, but just thought you would want to know.
No worries at all. Thank you - yes I absolutely would want to know that as so far I'm overwhelmed at the choices. I'm looking at reviews but of course, no one knows stuff the way the cat family here does! :-) This I know. It's the reason I knew the calories Mia was given were not right. It takes the cat site family to raise a kitty and keep them healthy and happy!

------

VET UPDATE: As I was typing this the Vet called. The small lump is okay - fat but keep an eye. Her protein in her urine is also fine. So we are 110% dealing with a simply fat cat.

We got this!

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a total beauty! Did she ever manage to keep most of the weight off?

I've never been a fan of dry food. It's always been used as a way to make sure they were eating enough calories as they are graziers (all except Charlie) and I don't free feed as I was always worried they'd over eat. (Not that this method has been good for Mia *sigh* she still managed to do that somehow.)

I've started adding some more water to the wet food with the bone broth so hopefully this helps too. I have to be careful or I'll end up making their wetfood into soup! lol

Thank you - me too. I'd love to have an all clear for her.

She's been much more relaxed since her anal glands were done again. I'm going to keep a closer watch on that too. I have to clean her bum nightly as she's too big to keep herself very clean there.

I'll post so pictures soon too.
She did actually, though she always complained about when she was to be fed and it wasnt right on time lol.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well oh crap. She's losing weight way to fast if that original weight was correct. (Which I'm beginning to question a little.) Even if it was wrong though she's down to 16.8 - that would mean close a full pound in just under 2 weeks. Granted they weighed her post first meal. I weigh her pre first meal.

So I gave her a small amount of some high calorie dry food this morning (Tiny bit), since dry food so far is the only change I've made.

Now my bad here as I wasn't measuring her food pre weigh in. I eye-balled it all. The dry food was not a lot. I've been mixed the new dry food in and lessening to high calories dry food a bit. That seems to be enough to be making her drop. She's still getting all her wet food meals as normal.

Tonight the measuring cups come out.

In fairness to me beating myself up a great deal - I honestly thought she had lost weight prior to going to the Doctor so I was stupid there and didn't prepare for this. I should have. That's on me.

On the plus she has a bit more energy, moving a bit more and some pep in her step.

She did actually, though she always complained about when she was to be fed and it wasnt right on time lol.
LOL That's Mia. Although now all the cats come stare at me if a certain time has passed and their snack is not there. lol They are amazing with their inner clocks and routines!