Mia is massively overweight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts poor Mia, so scared! Daisy’s not like that, she’ll come out to say hello to most of our regular visitors, and she and Phoebe like cavorting around my room at night. The real exercise problem is simply lack of space. My unit is tiny, a 3m square living room and even smaller bedroom connected by a short galley kitchen. I wonder whether she would use an exercise wheel, but there’s not much point since I have no room for one. It’d be different if it was just them and me, but I am carer for my 90yo mother, who uses a two-wheel walker. Two people in a unit made for one is tight (Mum sleeps in the unit next door, they don’t have two bedroom units here). So far Daisy hasn’t taken to her new, more secure harness, and I’m not taking her outside in the old one again, too easy for her to slip out when she gets a fright - and she got a big fright from someone moving around in their own unit recently. 🙄

I just wish I could find a dry food that has 200 calories in smaller amounts than what she’s on!
Yeah I feel really bad for her. I had to break down a very small cardboard box today - you guessed it - basement.

I'm try to show her what's making the noise in the hopes she'll see that it's nothing fearful. Talking very comforting to her as I do things - maybe one day she'll relax enough that nothing everything feels threatening to her.

Space can be an issue for sure. Does she like to walk outside with you?

This dietetic dry food is extremely high in calories. 3/8th of a cup would be 226.86 calories. a cup is just over 600! Insane. I have to be so careful.

Mia's "weigh day" is tomorrow. (I weigh her every Monday. The vet wants me weighing all the cats now and that's a really good idea. I used to do them all once a month; Mia always weekly though. She's a smart lady so I will do as I'm told.)

I think Mia's lost a bit but that might be from her not eating properly. I found some tricks that are working though. So hopefully between that and my many attempts to get her moving, she'll start to get some of her chub off. I will chime in tomorrow with results.

PS she had the last of her meds today for her UTI and fingers crossed it's all good. So far it looks better but we shall see.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Space can be an issue for sure. Does she like to walk outside with you?
Sadly no, she doesn’t like the new, secure harness, the sound of the velcro is a bit much for her, and she doesn’t want to go out wearing it. She hadn’t got past wanting to wander in the three tiny adjoining courtyards before that, and last time I took her out in her old harness, she panicked when she heard a neighbour moving around in her own unit - panicked, slipped the lead and bolted. She was so scared she wouldn’t stay put long enough for me to open the door. Going outside has been in abeyance since then.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay she wouldn't sit still and I had issues. This scale isn't the best (as I have to weigh myself and then hold her - but it's pretty good) I had to return the other one as it was so sensitive you couldn't get a read at all because she was too scared to step on it.

So when I took her to the Vet on the March 30 - she was about 19.62 she's now somewhere between 18.95 - 19.18. It's a lot of weight to drop in 10 days however, the first few days she barely ate so it's not a good representation since she was sick. I also think this scale finally went wacko.

I picked up another scale so I'm re-weighing in the morning as that doesn't look right to me. (I weigh in the AM before meals to try to get it as close as I can.

Sadly no, she doesn’t like the new, secure harness, the sound of the velcro is a bit much for her, and she doesn’t want to go out wearing it. She hadn’t got past wanting to wander in the three tiny adjoining courtyards before that, and last time I took her out in her old harness, she panicked when she heard a neighbour moving around in her own unit - panicked, slipped the lead and bolted. She was so scared she wouldn’t stay put long enough for me to open the door. Going outside has been in abeyance since then.
:-( Sorry. Maybe give her some time and try again? Poor thing.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp scale was close right 18.73 - 18.95. I say that as the scale is in KG and only 1 decimal point. It can't chose if I'm a 0.5 or 0.6.
So that's as close as I can get. If I take the middle ground she's 18.85 before food. The weight before the vet was after meals.

We didn't get an accurate start weight - so I'm going to consider this it. Now that her meds are done and she should be feeling a bit better I should be able to get a more accurate view on things.

If she drops a lot this week I will need to take other things into consideration and make changes as that's too much too fast.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope were good.

Vet's office said she was 18.9 pounds.

So even with her eating less - no real weight loss but might be a tiny bit.

Now that I have that. I can monitor better and we'll see what happens.