Live Barn Owl Cam (and her chicks!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

LOL!
I watched him putting it up this morning! What a hoot! He was in his PJ's on the ladder with a staple gun and waving at the camera! I think Donna was on the ground letting him know if it was straight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I missed that!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone else posted this pic with the captions

"he wants 500 bucks for THIS?"

it's a great snip though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought that the for rent sign was photoshopped.

Carlos is a wonderful character, so full of life.

I fell in love with those owls....
this is a bittersweet time.
Fly free Molly, McGee and babies.

Memories....
http://mollysbox.wordpress.com/blog/

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An amazing turn of events....
the camera is due to be turned off at 6PM pacific time today.

Last night Molly took residence inside the owl box.
McGee is watching her closely. She might be getting ready to lay another clutch, but there is no way to really know what is going on yet.

This owl adventure might not be over yet.....

Edit:
They both just flew way.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's over. Carlos came on, talked for 5 minutes, basically said thanks for the memories and turned off the camera.

And I can't believe I'm crying
I've gotten very attached to these little birds!! I'm seriously going to miss them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was already crying over something else, but the end of the owl box gave me a good excuse to sob a bit longer. I've got some good pics I snipped myself, but probably will want the book too, when it's finished.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I ordered a hard cover book. Plus I sent an email to eric telling him that I was interested in a coffee table book of Carlos' photos.
From where? You mean preorder? I thought Carl said last night that the book isn't finished yet.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

From where? You mean preorder? I thought Carl said last night that the book isn't finished yet.
No, the hard cover book won't be ready until October. But I put my order in for it. You can order one from here:

http://www.ericblehm.com/

Also, if you are interested in the coffee table book with Carlos' pictures in it, they need 500 requests before they will put the order in. The price will be between $50 and $100.00 which is pretty standard. If they don't get at least 500 requests, they won't create the book because it will be too expensive to publish it.

Click on his email address at the link above. And make sure it says "Coffee Table Book" in the subject line. I put in my request. I hope they print it because I'll buy it in a heart beat!!!

dude111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the links to the cams

Any cams where i can see loving creatures in person IS A PLUS!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see that Carlos has been broadcasting VHS archives of when Molly first arrived and was laying eggs? It's off right now, but I think he broadcasts it during the day. I saw her with her first egg, and no wonder it broke. She was totally clued out as to what to do with it. She looked completely puzzled by it and literally cowered in a corner looking at it. Then when she got over her shock, she started pecking at it and rolling it around.

I think he put it on yesterday at 6am PDT until probably 6pm

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Those Tel-Aviv owlets look so thin
I thought that too.

Molly's owlets were fat and happy...
especially Wesley.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked about it in the Molly chat. Someone said that it's a matter of box size (Tel-Aviv is larger) and camera used. The guy went onto explain the difference between the cameras and lighting. And posted a shot of the owls near the camera. When they are near the camera they look nice and plump and healthy. Made me feel loads better!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I thought that too.

Molly's owlets were fat and happy...
especially Wesley.
I think Wesley was the largest of the 4 owls. She did well for herself considering she was the runt of the clutch.

Of course it helped that Molly made sure that she got her share of the food and blocked the other owlets at times while she was feeding Wes. Plus Max often helped Wes eat by either ripping food for her, or standing on it so that Wes could rip it herself. Plus Pattison, Max and Austin brought food back to Wes sometimes too.

I don't know if that was typical behaviour with Owls or birds in general, but it was nice to see how they looked after one another, and that there didn't seem to be that pecking order we hear about with some species where some young will kill off others in order to ensure their own survival.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know if that was typical behaviour with Owls or birds in general, but it was nice to see how they looked after one another, and that there didn't seem to be that pecking order we hear about with some species where some young will kill off others in order to ensure their own survival.
They were a wonderful owl family...
Molly and McGee could not have been better parents and you are right, the sibs seems to care about each other too.
Near the last, Austin kept feeding Wesley.
I feared that she would become so plump she would not be able to fly.
Remember how at first, most of us were concerned that she might not be getting enough food?
When she came out of the box for the first time and stood beside Austin....
she was HUGE.

It was totally unexpected but those amazing owls changed our lives ...