Kitten who can't move

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, don't give him up. If you can't afford the wheelchair, start a GoFundMe page for him and we will help out. It probably takes a while to get them used to a wheelchair, but the kitties in those two videos certainly did, and it's worth a try if he never regains the use of his hind legs.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You might not even need a wheel chair. He's made so much progress, considering what the vets were telling you in the first week. I'm still hoping for a full recovery.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to donate for a wheelchair, but it is kinda early for that I agree.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE take a few minutes and read this page.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/physical-therapy-for-pet-paralysis

He doesn't need a chair, he needs therapy, and to relearn that he can walk. 

I believe whole-heartedly that he will walk again if he is worked in to it.

I also still believe that water therapy is the best thing for him, whether he likes it or not, he will get used to it.

This boy is just a kid, and will have many, many years of life to live, now is the time to do what it takes to get him healed and walking again.

Remember, he does not have spinal injuries or severed nerves, meaning he is fully capable of walking again, but if he is not worked, his brain will resolve to thinking his legs are useless, which is much harder to turn around.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked into a wheelchair they are around 200$ though. I'm in a group on Facebook about paralyzed cats and most say that cats hate wheelchairs and would rather pull their legs behind them as its difficult to use a wheelchair. I've had two rescue groups offer him a place that take special needs cats but I'm not sure I can give him up.
I don't think I would hand him over to a rescue. Finding him a home where he is the primary pet would be ideal if you decide to let him be adopted.  I have failed foster stamped on my forehead. I can't see caring for a kitten on this level and then handing him over to someone else. He would forever be in my pocket.

Two ideas.

If you would like a wheelchair you might consider contacting a high school engineering club. Young bright minds

If you live near a veterinary school you might call and find out if they would be willing to evaluate Reeves for free or low cost. Young bright minds.

The idea right now is to get Reeves as far as he can go physically not accommodate him for a disability.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He poops on his own so I just clean it up and he pees by stimulating him so I put him on the sink and pee him!
Gotcha. I thought he pee'D on his own now. Much easier to clean up poop than wee if he hasn't got the runs.
So sad to see his little back legs stretched out, useless. Made me cry. I think he'd be very unhappy leaving you. He loves you already. Hugs for your goodnes .

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
jennyrosalie, I hope you are feeling better. Viruses of any kind, just plain stink.

Reeves is so super cute. I am glad you had nurse cats to help you heal.

Again, I agree that Reeves needs INTENSIVE Physical Therapy, so that he can regain some use of his legs and to be able to use a litter box. 

It is good to know that you have joined a FB page for paralyzed cats, however, Reeves should not be classified as paralyze until after the Intensive PT has been underway for a long time without any results.

Catwoman707 has given you a great link...please use it. The hydrotherapy is also a must. Please begin these exercises.

I know it is going to be upsetting to both you and Reeves, but you are going to have to be strong. Even if you have to put on a pair of heavy gloves because he is biting...You are doing it for his own good. Think of it as "Tuff Love". 

It is very sad to see his legs in that condition. He needs to definitely start using them..and to try to learn to use a litter box. 

Reeves loves you. You can see it in his face. It is unconditional love. No matter how much he complains, gets upset~mad, frightened of PT and Hydrotherapy; he will always return to you and your love. 

Too soon to look into a wheelchair. He needs to undergo the therapy.

Please start it this week.....

((Hugs))) and feel better....

I know we sound as if we are nagging you, but we are really just trying to help..We have all fallen in love with Reeves and you....

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't think I am rushing to a wheelchair. It was just a thought if his legs never recover. The more options, the better.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also strongly feel you should begin the hydrotherapy asap. I think it is his best and maybe only real chance to fully recover. I am also a little concerned he isn't peeing on his own...like some others I thought he was doing this. Are you trying to reorient him with the litterbox?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also strongly feel you should begin the hydrotherapy asap. I think it is his best and maybe only real chance to fully recover. I am also a little concerned he isn't peeing on his own...like some others I thought he was doing this. Are you trying to reorient him with the litterbox?
No he isn't standing on his own? So if I put him in a litter box he wI'll be laying in it and get dirty and I don't want litter in his healing wounds. I have tried a shredded paper box but he wouldn't do anything in it. Right now I'm doing intensive physical therapy three times a day but not hydrotherapy. We are also looking into cold Lazer therapy

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
No he isn't standing on his own? So if I put him in a litter box he wI'll be laying in it and get dirty and I don't want litter in his healing wounds. I have tried a shredded paper box but he wouldn't do anything in it. Right now I'm doing intensive physical therapy three times a day but not hydrotherapy. We are also looking into cold Lazer therapy
Acupressure with laser therapy by someone who can find the correct points can stimulate nerves. I used this on a horse. When the ting spot was correctly located her skin rippled like water. She had become severely one sided due to unaddressed pain issues.

Keep pushing the boundaries of what you were told could not happen and would not heal.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing the video of Reeves! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that video!!!

Reese can move his back legs!!!! 

That is so good to see...a real relief!!

Thank you for sharing!

I am wondering if he is just getting accustomed to you doing everything for him? 

In other words, if he does not Have to do something, because it is already being done for him, by you-----then he will never try.

He needs to be pushed into doing things for himself. 

try wiggling the feathers at a small distance from him..see if he tries to reach out to catch them. 

Also, try standing him..as if you would teach a child to ride a bike..see if he can handle any weight.

From my own experience: when recovering from a deep healing wound on the bottom and back of my heel, I could not put weight on it until it was completely healed. That took weeks. I should have had several stitches, but did not...another long story.

I ended up with plantar fasciitis, until I was forced to re-educate those nerve endings. I had PT and some ultrasound therapy, but the tissues and nerves felt so weird using them. Once I started to put weight on my foot, it came around really fast. I have not had any problems with it at all. That was about 20 years ago. 

the tissues and nerves had to toughen up to the pressure.

I am thinking this could be happening to our little guy...

He is depending on you to do everything...I am thinking he needs to get his "Cat" back....

((hugs))

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with most posters that the wheelchair approach should be only considered if intense physiotherapy as failed. I have a feeling that with a lot of work he should be able to walk again. Once again @jennyrosalie  you are making great strides. I know how busy you are, is there anyone that can help you with his therapy ?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jennyrosalie is doing a great job with him, giving PT three times a day, seeing that he poops and pees, playing with him, and seeing that his wounds heal. She is probably getting too much advice at this point.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jennyrosalie is doing a great job with him, giving PT three times a day, seeing that he poops and pees, playing with him, and seeing that his wounds heal. She is probably getting too much advice at this point.
I don't think that anyone here is saying she isn't doing an amazing job. She is the reason this sweet boy is still alive and getting better every day. The reason people are providing advice is because we want to help as much as possible. Remember she came to this site looking for advice and that is all we are providing.