Kitten who can't move

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many people involved in this thread who are very compassionate and caring.

There is also some great advice and alot of knowledge.

I know from the beginning I have been positive in believing he will walk again, and am also one who has mentioned several times the importance of hydrotherapy.

This is because as @tulosai  also added, it IS the best form of treatment to give the best amt of success in the least amt of time.

The longer it is delayed, the bigger the risk that his muscle waste is too far gone and his brain will stop thinking to operate his legs when it tries and tries now and can not, and we all want to see him fully recovered and able to live many long years of full life on all fours!

It's not harassment, it is solid, excellent, appropriate advice for the best outcome.

And just maybe if a dozen of us are saying the same thing it might persuade the OP to go for it and give it a try.

There is a reason for this, it will give him the best chance possible for a full recovery. He may not like it at first, but he doesn't know that without it he just might not walk again either.

He is learning "non use"

"Your pet will not necessarily begin to stand or take steps again simply because the nerves have healed to a certain point. Following paralysis, your pet no doubt attempted to stand and walk a number of times and could not do it. Therefore, your pet learned it could not use its legs and adjusted and quit trying. Weeks may have gone by while your pet has had no use of its legs. Now you are seeing signs that your pet's nerve function has improved, but your pet still is not walking. This is not simply due to loss of muscle tone, and it does not mean your pet is lazy or unmotivated. Your pet has no idea it is becoming able to do things again. Do not assume this will come naturally to the animal. One of the goals of physical therapy is to help your pet unlearn nonuse one small ability at a time. Feel the feet. Stand on the feet. Balance. Take a step. Take several steps. Little by little, help your pet rebuild an awareness of how much it can do."

@jennyrosalie  you are his hero for saving him and are doing a fantastic job with him!! 

I wish you both the very best outcome.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
How is Mr Reeves today? I just discovered this thread, been away from TCS for a few days...I don't have anything to add other than the post above...Keep trying...And soon as he is sitting up would be good time to teach him how to use the litter. I think you are doing a marvelous job. Keep up the good work and thank you so much for the videos and photos..he is so cute!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@DreamerRose,  and @jennyrosalie

No one is suggesting JennyRosalie does not care about Reeves. We all know that she saved his life.

I do agree that there can be a huge amount of information overload. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions. I know what it feels like. We have all fallen in love with Reeves and only want the best for him.

I know it sounds as if we are harping on her. Lord knows we are not. We are just thinking of Reeves. I know jennyrosalie spends hours with Reeves. 

From my own personal experience, using my own body, I know how important it is to move muscles and nerves. 

I am using my own personal knowledge as far as being in medical field my entire life, and seeing firsthand what the wonders of PT are. 

Reeves needs to exercise those back muscles. He needs Resistance training! That is why we are all pushing the extreme form of PT...the hydrotherapy seems to be the best for helping. The body weight is dispelled over the water. The water acts as a form of a somewhat weightless environment. Hydrotherapy works for the elderly and paralyzed. It makes working out much easier. Reeves wounds seem to have healed over and formed a scab. If that has occurred, it is time for hydrotherapy. It will be safe now. To wait for them to heal completely is too long.

I have seen first hand what the contractures are in human. Reeves is starting to get them. Those are almost impossible to alleviate without intensive therapy.

We are only trying to help jennyrosalie, not to attack her or confuse her. 

Reeves does not seem to be paralyzed. He is traumatized... a huge difference and is getting used to not having to do anything for himself. Humans get that way also--complacent, spoiled...why bother to try, if You can get someone else to do it for you. We do not want this little one to get that way. It is his best interest to make him do somethings on his own..or to at least attempt to do so..If he can do a tiny bit on his own today, then tomorrow he will do more..

Reeves will not be harmed at all if he is subjected to some tough love PT. In fact, it would help him immensely.

We all love Reeves and Jennyrosalie to death....

(((Hugs))))

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never even suggested that jennyrosalie or anyone on this thread doesn't care about Reeves. Of course we do, myself included. I'm in love with him just like everyone else. I said in the beginning that Reeves did not look paralyzed, but in shock. The point I was trying to make is that jennyrosalie is taking very good care of him, but it is her decision about how to proceed, and she has had plenty of advice on this. She's heard you, and we do not need to keep repeating it. It is up to her; Reeves is not our cat and we are not there. The worst thing that could happen is that she would tune you out.

demomom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been coming back to this site just to check up on Reeves and I am so happy to see his progress!!! <3 You have been such a good mama!

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read this entire thread, and I'm so happy to see Reeves getting better! Thank you @jennyrosalie  for all your hard work and dedication.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope little Reeves is still doing well! I love seeing pictures and videos of him. He's so adorable.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading this entire thread.  gasping, crying, smiling, crying, smiling, sighing, crying, screaming for joy, smiling.  I have been on a roller coaster of emotions! What hero you are @jennyrosalie   I hope Reeves in continuing to improve 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is still showing improvements daily! He is doing laser therapy and we will start acupuncture next week. He has use of his back legs and can stand on them for a few seconds but can't walk yet. He doesn't sit on them while they are limp though anymore. He's been playing a lot and very active. Hes food motivated so we can get him to try walking towards food but he can only stand for a fee seconds on his own right now.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is marvelous! He is making so much progress! This is absolutely wonderful! He is going to be walking soon. I am so happy for you!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow standing on his feet for a few seconds on his own?? What a big step towards his recovery!

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
'jenny', I just discovered this thread and all I can say is that I am in awe. I can only imagine how time consuming and expensive Reeves care has been. You obviously know that life is special. Thank you.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! So glad he can stand for a few seconds on his own, that's great!

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear he is making progress!  

What a precious little cutie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THANK GOODNESS!  An update.  I had all sorts of panicky thoughts running around my head.  YAY REEVES!  YAY JEN!