Kitten who can't move

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also just discovered this thread.  Three thoughts:
  1. I broke my left arm in three places four years ago.  During the months that it was in a cast, the muscles and ligaments shriveled.  It took intense occupational therapy to stretch the ligaments, a process which is still continuing, and fairly intense exercise to increase the muscle strength, which is also ongoing.  For some time after the cast came off I refused to use my left hand on a banister, because I knew (correctly) that the wrist couldn't support my weight.  I had to get the strength back in that wrist first, just as Reeves needs to get strength back in his legs.
  2. The reason people are emphasizing hydrotherapy is that it's a way to take some of the weight off of the legs, so that Reeves will actually be able to walk, as long as he's in the water.  This gives him a chance to get used to the idea of walking once again, build up confidence that it's actually possible to walk, and exercise the muscles that have atrophied.  My mother was a physical therapist, so I understand about hydrotherapy.
  3. Reeves obviously has a normal, kittenish play instinct.  Have you ever seen small plastic wind-up toys for the bathtub?  They can either float on top and paddle around, or, some of them, go underwater and swim.  I believe these are very cheap, and they might be just the thing to get Reeves into the water and entice him to actually try to walk there, to chase them.  Do make sure that the water is warm enough, and the right depth; we're not trying to teach Reeves to swim, but we do want enough water to support most (not all) of his weight.  It may take a bit of experimentation.  Also, put some kind of bath mat down, so that he has proper traction and can grip with his claws a little bit; that may decrease the fear somewhat.
I'm very impressed with the work you've done with Reeves so far.  When I read the beginning of this thread I thought it unlikely that he would ever recover fully.  Now I believe that it is extremely likely.  Good for you!  And good for Reeves!   Kudos and hugs all around.

Margret

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding hydrotherapy. I've heard about it regarding arthritic dogs that are put into special water, not the bath, and supported by a special belt!that keeps them afloat while using their legs to sort of tread water ie.their feet are not on the bottom of the special bath, not at home, but are walking in/on water. I don't think plonking him a bath of water will get his legs moving. I have heard of arthritic cats being treated the same way as dogs. But hydrotherapy is something your vet has to know about and if said vet pooh pooh's the idea you can say it's been done in England, therefore it's been done in America, but it's not cheap. The idea is for him to walk through the water and not on the bottom of whatever you plan to do.
If you know all this just tell me to bug off or whatever.
Hugs and kisses to you both. You decide which is for which.
Judy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How strange it is, or maybe not strange at all, this is TCS, that one of the first things I think when I sit down and fire up the computersaurus rex, is "I wonder how Reeves is today?"  All of the first thoughts involve cats and people from here.  All of them.

Jenny, you are doing a wonderful job.  And Margaret made some good suggestions for the hydrotherapy.  Give them a try, they might just do the trick!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Jennyrosalie is completely overwhelmed and exhausted by everything she has been doing for Reeves. 

That is not to say that she is not grateful..just exhausted. 

I think she realizes how we all feel and is currently doing and listening to herself, her heart, and her trusted Vet...

I just hope she posts some more updates and pictures.. We are all in love with Reeves. He has stolen a piece of our hearts...

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't wait for more updates! He's coming along so well! I too would like to say I believe hydrotherapy would do him wonders. He may even learn to really love water and be a watercat if the hydrotherapy helps him. Go Reeves, Go!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Reeves had his first laser therapy appointment! I can tell he already feels better. The vet was excited and impressed with his progress! He's doing great with his pt as well! :)
What a cute pic! Reeves looks great!! Glad to hear he felt better after his laser therapy today :clap: you're doing a fantastic job with him!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right!

Good for Reeves, and good for you!

What does the laser do? Is it some form of heat therapy, like ultrasound or diathermy?

:woohoo:

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All right!

Good for Reeves, and good for you!

What does the laser do? Is it some form of heat therapy, like ultrasound or diathermy?

:woohoo:

Margret
It is supposed to help with circulation and relax them as well!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good for him! He does look so much better in the photo. Bright eyed and alert, that's great to see.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a different kitten from the pitiful little mite we first met.  i am SO proud of our Jen for taking this guy and MAKING him live and thrive on sheer willpower, and thrilled for Reeves, who is becoming a "real" kitten now...bright, alert, interested. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is supposed to help with circulation and relax them as well!
Yes, heat would do that, and a laser is probably a lot easier to use for it — pin point precision. I had no idea the technology had come so far.

Reeves looks so relaxed and happy in his picture. This is good. If it were my Jasmine she would have been yowling the whole time!

I'm so happy it's going so well for you.

Margret

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is getting to be like a good TV show...every update is eagerly awaited by everyone and it seems like eons pass while waiting for news on Reeves. I am very happy that he continues to improve...in time I think he will regain most of his lost abilities. Reeves is also VERY lucky to be in such a great environment with so much love and support. Many would have put the poor little guy to sleep saying he had no quality of life. One look into those cute and inquisitive eyes and you know that the right decision was made!

Once again I have to say that I'm so grateful that Reeves has such a great owner who selflessly give her time to this little tiger. GREAT JOB!! 

Jim M 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

This thread is getting to be like a good TV show...every update is eagerly awaited by everyone and it seems like eons pass while waiting for news on Reeves. I am very happy that he continues to improve...in time I think he will regain most of his lost abilities. Reeves is also VERY lucky to be in such a great environment with so much love and support. Many would have put the poor little guy to sleep saying he had no quality of life. One look into those cute and inquisitive eyes and you know that the right decision was made!

Once again I have to say that I'm so grateful that Reeves has such a great owner who selflessly give her time to this little tiger. GREAT JOB!! 

Jim M 
Without someone with the time and will to treat him it would have been kinder to have him destroyed  It wouldn't have been out of cruelty of not caring. I'm amazed that a kitten attacked in the neck by a bobcat is even alive. They kill bite.