Kitten who can't move

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  We are all worried "moms" here.
    We honestly thought something terrible happened to Reeves. 

Cool tat...I like it...

Did you try getting him into water? did he go near it on touch his paw to it. If he touched his paw, that means there is sensation in it...good thing...

He has to try to use those muscles. Even if he fights, (hopefully no bites) that is good because it will be forcing him to used his muscles..not the way we want him to, but it may help him begin the process of using them and putting weight on them.

Have you tried to hold him up with your hands, as if in a cat standing position? Have him place just a bit of weight on his paws so he can re-adjust to the feeling of standing. 

That is why the hydrotherapy is so important. It will give him some buoyancy so will not have all his weight on his paws..and swimming will help...using muscles...he needs to be doing that this week...

If not, I am afraid he will get food dependent on you for everything..he will become too complacent. That will not help him in the long run..his muscles will waste away...

sorry if I keep pushing the issue, but it is really important. 

BTW, I love looking at pictures of Reeves.....I think we are all addicted to him...and his story...and to you....thanks...

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree about his fear of the water being motivation to move the underused muscles. He may not like it, but he's gotta move. You may have to ease him into the water. And try to ensure that the water is warm without being too hot.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably be appropriate to put him on a rug on the floor with some toys and favorite toys just out of reach. I've gotten lots of good results with horses just letting them work the problem out. You might try out a walking sling. It's not the same as hydro but you would support his body while he hopefully tried to use his legs.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad he is doing so well! What a wonderful video and pictures. So wonderful the progress you have made with him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the update.

I saw an episode of My Cat From Hell where they were trying to get a cat used to being bathed. They used a baby bath, which wasn't so overwhelming for the cat as a huge adult sized bath. Maybe you could start small?

Love the ink!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love the tat!  So very appropriate for a singer.

Now, about this baby boy...in the latest pic of him, he appears to be "holding" his toy.  This is a good thing.  And I agree that starting the hydro is crucial.  And if he fights it, so much the better, really.  That, also, is a form of exercise.  And you'll be shocked how quickly he adjusts to the water.  Or...doesn't...I have to admit that I gave up on bathing mine after 18 months of weekly baths ended in a gash that required stitches,  But you have a long ways to go before that's an issue, and actually, what would be better news than that he was well enough to actually scratch on purpose?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was given advice to bathe my cats I was told to always let them have their front paws on the edge.

Of course Mook required daily baths during the first weeks of eating solids. She was small enough I just turned the tap on and rinsed her off. Poor thing didn't know any better. The thing is she trusted me. You're still building that trust and trying to give therapy. I'd be careful how far I pushed that boundary line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is doing well today he is finally potting on his own with no stimulatin needed! He trusts me but after putting him in water he tried to bite me and wouldn't let me touch him the rest of the day. He does lay on a towel with toys and I make him hold himself up on his front legs to eat.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the tat!  So very appropriate for a singer.

Now, about this baby boy...in the latest pic of him, he appears to be "holding" his toy.  This is a good thing.  And I agree that starting the hydro is crucial.  And if he fights it, so much the better, really.  That, also, is a form of exercise.  And you'll be shocked how quickly he adjusts to the water.  Or...doesn't...I have to admit that I gave up on bathing mine after 18 months of weekly baths ended in a gash that required stitches,  But you have a long ways to go before that's an issue, and actually, what would be better news than that he was well enough to actually scratch on purpose?
Why were you bathing your cat
Weekly, or at all?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

It is not bathing..

This is the hydrotherapy which we hope will get him to use his legs; thus strengthening them. 

The water may hold him up a bit, and he would try to either swim or get out; using his legs... kind of like physical therapy hydrotherapy for people.
Oh, that was meant for m, not jennyr.  I was bathing her because we had skin issues that required a medicated dip on a weekly basis.  She did eventually get over that, although for months she had only her undercoat.  She looked like a cat in gray flannel pajamas.  She had a tortie face and paws, and tail tip, and everything else was just...nekkid looking and pitiful.  Turned out it was an allergy to concrete, and we were living in an unfinished garage at the time.  Ol' Hek and I have been through some times together, we have.  I don't think I would have made it without her.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that was meant for m, not jennyr.  I was bathing her because we had skin issues that required a medicated dip on a weekly basis.  She did eventually get over that, although for months she had only her undercoat.  She looked like a cat in gray flannel pajamas.  She had a tortie face and paws, and tail tip, and everything else was just...nekkid looking and pitiful.  Turned out it was an allergy to concrete, and we were living in an unfinished garage at the time.  Ol' Hek and I have been through some times together, we have.  I don't think I would have made it without her.
Gotcha. Is kitty okay now?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you had a flotation vest like the one in the pic I posted, you could put it on him and lift him by the handle on the back and slowly set him in to water, he can't bite then.

He needs this or he will be  very very long time of not walking, as his muscles are really declined by now and will only get worse.

They have them on ebay for 10.00.

Here is one for 11.29 with free shipping, I am showing this one because it is xx small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZippyPaws-A...hash=item3ab0e5fd71:m:mCNUime1bRZakWQzGyNGazw

Here's another one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-P...822153?hash=item4888fb6549:g:QFcAAOSwo0JWGoJh

Last edited: