Is my sweety pregnant? Please share your thoughts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mustithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question!! We have a problem... Mom suddenly acts weird, she takes the kittens out of the box and takes them to a place behind the couch, not even in a new nest but in a weird spot where they can barely move. Her eyes are also wide open and she keeps miauwing ?? So weird!! Nothing has changed over here so what is the problem? I now moved the box to a spot next to that place at the couch

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mother cats move kittens for a number of reasons. However, none of these may apply to you or your house, so don't take anything personally. My experience has been with feral mothers and the prime reason is for safety, but that is probably the one reason that does not figure in your case.

So....something that your mother cat perceives as a safety issue, "perceives" being the operative word here. Other reasons might include cleanliness, being disturbed too much, outgrowing the old space or box, noise or drafts, too much handling, nest is in a position or condition that the mom "perceives" as undesirable including things that may not bother you like height or discomfort.

Is anything else different which would indicate a problem like a change in appetite, etc? Are the kittens being fed and cared for by mom? They were born around July 4, so are still tiny. In one post you said that you moved the box downstairs? Do you think that this is location?

mustithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I do maybe understand what is going on based on your post! It is summer right now and the weather was beautiful for the last weeks, but just right after she did this behaviour there was a short storm (thunder, rain, hard wind) going on outside. Her box is right next to the door leading to the garden, where she can freely go to when we are at home and keep the door open. When she did this with the kittens, the storm was in the air (like the wind, and you could see it coming) but it didn't happen yet. I directly moved the box to a place closer to the couch, away from the open door. She is still in there now with the babies and everything seems fine again!! Thankfully 🙏🙏 she has been a great mom so far, the kittens have doubled in size since birth, so I thought it is so odd for her to make a silly move like that! Based on your post like safywise I think it was a instinct of her doing this. Thank you so much!!
IMG-20230714-WA0020.jpeg
IMG-20230714-WA0016~2.jpeg
adding some silly pictures of the ladies to end up on a good note today 🤣

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cutest kittens ever! I think that you figured it out. Most mother cats are very vigilant about their babies; you had said what a good mom she was, and she is.

mustithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you please look one more time for me🤣 I'm really thinking that one of the girls, is maybe a boy?! I have a more clearer pic now. It's about the First pic, the second is the other cat who I believe is definitely a girl.
IMG-20230725-WA0041.jpeg
IMG-20230725-WA0045.jpeg