Help! Charlie is FIV+

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I have just now read this thread. I think it is really amazing how well everyone has accepted Charlie and him accepting them. That was so sweet how Spooky and Tuxie both reached out to him. It was a little sad that he hissed at Spooky. I guess he hasn't had that kind of touch in so long. I hope he eats up every second of it, once he settles in completely.
I was really floored by their reaction.
I agree - I hope Charlie learns to love the positive interaction with other kitties.

That could also be the problem with Billy, come to think of it. Billy was so bonded with Bing - other than Lazlo being mean to him, he's never had negative interaction with other kitties - and even Lazlo is just as likely to groom him as bop him these days, and Billy NEVER understood why Lazlo would be like that and NEVER gave up trying to "convert" him (and it paid off for the most part!
). I don't think Billy understands a kitty being afraid of or uncomfortable around another cat.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG
Charlie is "transient positive" which means only one of the antibodies is there - MOST LIKELY means he was bitten by someone with FIV and is fighting it. There is the possibility he does not become infected. We test him monthly until we get a definitive positive (both antibodies present) or a definitive negative (his immune system was strong enough to fight becoming infected).

We've got him on L-lysine and Transfer Factor to help increase his ability to fight this thing, and acidophilus to keep the diarrhea in check - all of which increase his chances of fighting this.

Originally Posted by GloriaJH in another thread ...
Well, it looks like you've got the best side of "bad news" - I'll go to your thread to ask you another question regarding Charlie -
Thank you for taking the time to update me -

Thread: new STRAY arrived Reply to Thread....
So, does this news mean that Charlie is not yet as contagious?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know I don't know? I never asked. I assume that if he has the FIV virus in him, he's contagious. The test is for antibodies - which means the virus is present. So I'm pretty sure it means that if he bit any of our kitties in such a way as to cause a deep wound, they'd be exposed and at risk. *knock wood* it doesn't seem like anything like that is going to happen.

Charlie was over here most of the afternoon until... about 20 minutes ago or so. He had several meals over here - and generally seemed a lot more comfortable. He played better - and moved around without constantly looking over his shoulder.
He tried to headbump Billy! Sadly, Billy pulled his head back - but they did hang out very close to each other a good part of the day, and played alternately very nicely with a wand toy. Every time I acknowledge the kitties, I gave attention to Bill first.

Shelly was much more interested in Charlie today, and Charlie let him "explore" him. And Lazlo cautiously approached the food dish (Charlie was plopped on the floor in front of it) - and they checked each other out nicely, and Lazlo proceeded to eat with his tail up, not minding Charlie being there.

I'm just really pleased.

He does appear to be allergic to his food, so we did switch him to z/d today. (Our cats all eat c/d - only the boys need it, but it's just easier to feed them all the same thing).

He sees Tuxie's vet on Thursday morning.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad things are going better than you ever dreamed possible. It's all your hard work, exchanging smells, and your positive attitude that does it.

thanks for keeping us updated.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie saw Tuxie's vet this morning.
He agrees - Charlie is very healthy, a very muscular guy - his numbers look great (blood work). His interpretation of the "transient positive" on the Western Blot is that Charlie's been bitten by a cat with FIV and is carrying the virus, but is not infected by it... and it may stay that way.

We'll just have to see what happens. He does think that given how intros have been going it's fine to bring him here full time.

Charlie's furr-missing patches (there is now one in between his shoulder blades) are definitely an allergy. In his experience, allergies are far more likely to be environmental than food related, but it's worth the switch to see if that creates any relief.

He does have an infection in his ear - took a swab, sending it out for culture, and sent me home with Animax ointment for it - 2x a day for a week.

Everyone at that office totally fawned over Charlie! I guess it's been a while since they've seen a classic tabby with the "target" on his sides - and they all loved his big fat round moon face.
The vet loves his silver undercoat.

He was SUCH a good boy and just soooooo sweet. If it weren't for the FIV hanging over his head, we probably could have adopted him out today.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh! One last thing.
He thinks Charlie is at LEAST three years old, but probably four given his teeth and gums (and they're in good shape - he doesn't need a dental.
).

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if the its something in the his trailer that is causing him to have an allergic reaction, I guess that's possible. Hopefully, if it is environmental then whatever it is, is only at his current place and not at yours.
Charlie is the only cat I know who has his own trailer.
That his ear infection and allergies clear up soon

He sounds like such a sweetheart

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Charlie is the only cat I know who has his own trailer.
Oh that got me laughing!

I had the same reaction when the vet said about the allergies often being environmental as opposed to food. If that is the case, I SO hope it's something there and not hear. When Gary and I chatted about it, I said - what if it's the carpet itself? That would sure explain why he didn't seem itchy scratchy outside. But it also doesn't explain why it took so long inside to become itchy scratchy. I don't know what to think! We'll just have to see what happens as time progresses with the food and once he moves over here full time... and we'll just have to work on it.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I am sorry about Charlie's allergies and I too thought the same thing about his trailer being the source. It could be the carpet, something in the AC system etc. Do you think he started scratching more since you turned the AC on? He is such a strong little guy though.

Was he showing any signs of ear discomfort?

And of course they all loved him, how could they not
His personality will help him a lot when it comes to show him to potential new purrents.

Lots and lots of kisses from us!
Marina

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we're going to work on getting him over here full time by the weekend, probably. I just HOPE that if it's enironmental allergies, it's something over there, not here.
Otherwise it's something we can't do much about.

I never asked about antihistamines - do they work on cats??????????????? Do they have like a cat "zyrtec?" I know it works miracles for me!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
benadryl is usually the antihistamine given to cats, I think. Check with the vet on dosage.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask him when we were there!
I've got some other questions lined up for him.

Charlie hadn't been here in a few days and was here all afternoon. Went fine except for Billy, who decided he wanted to let Charlie know this is his place.
No particularly aggressive behavior, but a lot of growling. Billy definitely tried to push Charlie's buttons. Charlie was just lying on the scratcher, and Billy plopped on the floor just by it. No ears back - tail not even twitching. But he lay there with a low growl. I kept reassuring Billy he's not being displaced. He rolled over on his back, stretched out his legs towards Charlie (a little low growl the whole time
), quickly rolled back over on his tummy - and leaned out and bopped Charlie on the head! Charlie crouched back and hissed - but again - no ears back, no ridge, no tail agigation! It's the strangest thing I've seen in an intro.

I took Billy for a time out and explained to him - I don't care if he likes Charlie, but Charlie's homeless. We know 8 is a lot for this space, but he's not going to take any of his food, love is endless so doesn't get used up, and all we ask is that he give him a little space.

They ate dinner together just fine!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask him when we were there!
I've got some other questions lined up for him.

Charlie hadn't been here in a few days and was here all afternoon. Went fine except for Billy, who decided he wanted to let Charlie know this is his place.
No particularly aggressive behavior, but a lot of growling. Billy definitely tried to push Charlie's buttons. Charlie was just lying on the scratcher, and Billy plopped on the floor just by it. No ears back - tail not even twitching. But he lay there with a low growl. I kept reassuring Billy he's not being displaced. He rolled over on his back, stretched out his legs towards Charlie (a little low growl the whole time
), quickly rolled back over on his tummy - and leaned out and bopped Charlie on the head! Charlie crouched back and hissed - but again - no ears back, no ridge, no tail agigation! It's the strangest thing I've seen in an intro.

I took Billy for a time out and explained to him - I don't care if he likes Charlie, but Charlie's homeless. We know 8 is a lot for this space, but he's not going to take any of his food, love is endless so doesn't get used up, and all we ask is that he give him a little space.

They ate dinner together just fine!
I love it. Thanks for writing it all out!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love all the updates. I'm glad things are going so well. Yay for all of you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie was over here a good part of yesterday. Billy was not growly or hissy or bopping him at all.

Charlie was pretty subdued - mostly slept in the cat tree in the corner, or watched everything going on. He did play a little, but definitely not with the abandon that he does in "his" trailer. I've been sending him vibes to overcome being nervous about all the other kitties around.
He also waited until he got home to use the litter box. We may have to temporarily put one basically in the kitchen - it'll block passage from front to back a bit, but I don't want him afraid to go to the bathroom!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news! Sure he is nervous, he is not used to being around so many kitties and we know how he used to deal with kitties before being neutered. Here is vibes he will get over his nervousness soon.

The idea about the litterbox is great and I bet once he starts using it, he will want to use the other ones as well.

How are his allergies?

Sweets says hello

Marina

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie what's your level of concern about them sharing fluids - like with the litter box?

Right now, us, with two cats, one with FIV, and the other with FeFv, I'm going nuts trying to keep any of my other three from getting into litter boxes, or using food bowls, or water bowls, or toys that the TWO have used ... I mean like I'm thinking about even getting booties to fit over my shoes so I don't have to disinfect the shoes once I leave Buddy's room (he has the FeFv).

I know that FIV seems to be much easier to protect your healthy cats from getting, with a bite being the main concern, but - .... just asking ?

I'm buying stock in the company that makes Clorox

I'm changing clothes, shoes - wearing covering when I spend time with Buddy - mostly because I've yet to get any concrete information about how long the Leukemia virus survives outside the cat's body - the words "short time" don't help me much!
, especially when I read that if the cat leaves the room that no other cats should be put into it for 30 days!

I wasn't as careful with Gray (my FIV) guy's toys, water, food, litter box until I had to step it up a notch with Buddy's FeFv.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FIV is much different than the FeLV. FeLV can be passed via saliva - FIV can only be passed saliva to blood, and it's not just "bites" - it's deep bites. So we're taking no precautions re: food and litter (though one of our cats has to lose weight, so we're no longer free feeding anyway). We're just making slow introductions so that there won't be fighting - though none of our cats has ever fought much more than a hiss or a bop, we didn't know how Charlie would react. So far it seems a deep, penetrating bite wound will not be of any concern (knock wood).

We live in an RV, so we cannot take in a kitty that would need to be separated, there's just no way to do it. We originally rented a trailer to foster Charlie until the foster network had room for him. The owners of the trailer need it back next week, so we have until then to work on the slow intros, then he'll be here full time.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The FIV is much different than the FeLV. FeLV can be passed via saliva - FIV can only be passed saliva to blood, and it's not just "bites" - it's deep bites. So we're taking no precautions re: food and litter (though one of our cats has to lose weight, so we're no longer free feeding anyway). We're just making slow introductions so that there won't be fighting - though none of our cats has ever fought much more than a hiss or a bop, we didn't know how Charlie would react. So far it seems a deep, penetrating bite wound will not be of any concern (knock wood).

We live in an RV, so we cannot take in a kitty that would need to be separated, there's just no way to do it. We originally rented a trailer to foster Charlie until the foster network had room for him. The owners of the trailer need it back next week, so we have until then to work on the slow intros, then he'll be here full time.
Bless those folks who have been so generous to let you rent their trailor! Timing IS everything, huh!

So what you say about the FIV helps me with Gray and my Three - My black cat is the one who I unknowingly exposed to the FeFv cat - and, he is the one who spends time with Gray - they talk, exchange pats through the gates that I've set up - they could be such good friends because they seem to be of the same personality and demeanor - although, Gray is younger, and a little more feisty - so, I do keep them separated. At least my heart won't sink if they do share some water, or litter pan - which KiKi (black cat) may have already done.

I'll be testing my Three once I get more carriers - especially to know that KiKi is still safe for Gray to be around.