Help! Charlie is FIV+

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Day 1 exploring - and first intro! (ooops!
).

Charlie's first visit over here went really well! He came out of the crate slowly, and very slowly walked around checking everything out. He was wary - but sniffing and sniffing - but a tail up boy!

He went into one of the litter boxes and sniffed around, then just sniffed in the direction of the other two..

Gary set him up on the cat tree, he sniffed around - jumped down to the window seats, then down to the floor - checked out the toy container - and just basically slowly walked around everywhere. He did not go under the couch, but he did jump up on the dash - he didn't go to the very front where all the cat beds are, but he poked his head through the curtains and looked and sniffed around (curtains cut the dash in half - we don't like being on display so we keep the curtains closed on those giant windows most of the time. In the summer it also cuts down on the heat).

He then jumped back down. Stopped on the couch for a pet from foster-daddy. Decided he liked it up on the cat tree - went to the next-to-highest level (the tallest one you have to squish in there, there's only about 6 inches between it and the ceiling) and just surveyed everything. He kept craning his neck to try to check out what was behind the door (the door doesn't go all the way to the floor or ceiling) to the bedroom LOL. None of the kitties came up to it.

BUT.... we thought everyone was back there - and half way through Charlie's half hour here, Flowerbelle comes out. She was obviously curled up in the tube that goes from the couch to the front window area. He didn't notice her - she looked up at him and just walked back to the bedroom door (her main and favorite place to hang out is the bathroom, but it gets closed off when the bedroom door is shut, because it's actually the door to the bathroom that just swings across the hallway to close off the back half). He noticed her then - gave her a glance - and didn't react or seem to care.

I went over, picked her up - and slowly walked over to him with her at the same height he was. She leaned out - he leaned out - they sniffed each other - and then he went back to just looking around. She didn't struggle to get down or anything - so I just put her in front of the food dish (we set one down so he knows there's food over here) and she nibbled a bit.

I grabbed a toy and started to play with Charlie - and he totally got into it. He wouldn't jump levels, though he did stand up to try to grab it off the top level - but he was comfortable enough to forget about where he was and play.

It went so well that when we put him back in the crate to go home, we decided to open the bedroom door and see if anyone would come out. Shelly and Billy looked out - but no one ventured out (the engine being turned over really freaks them out. They get used to it when we're driving somewhere, but when we've been parked for a while, it takes them longer to want to come out after we run it). I grabbed Bill and brought him over - he started to freak and back up. I held him, and said "meet Charlie!" Charlie glanced over - but was more concerned about being in the crate again. Billy realized there was a cat in there, and leaned forward to sniff him. Then we took Charlie back to his trailer.

We figured out the big problem - the cats are all terrified of the crate, because we don't have room to leave it out, so they all associate its sounds and it with going to the vet! Billy was most likely reacting to the sight of the crate when he acted afraid.

So... we're gonna forego trying to introduce anyone with Charlie in the crate. No point. And he clearly didn't freak about Flowerbelle or Billy - or ALL the intense smell of other cats in the RV. All that scent swapping must have worked! WOOHOO! Tomorrow, we're going to introduce him to the bedroom.

When the other kitties did come out, there was some sniffing around - they knew Charlie was here (well, we announced it when we brought him in). Lazlo was the last to come out of the bedroom (he obviously passed out under the bed, because he didn't even come out to eat his afternoon meal). The platform on the cat tree where Charlie hung out the most was the shelf where Lazlo eats - so I put him up there - he sniffed around a little bit - and then looked at me wondering where his food was.

Overall - we are REALLY hopeful and VERY pleased!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Old pictures of the RV set up:

Configuration has changed slightly since these were taken, but in the background of this picture, you can see the entrance of the tube that goes from the back of the couch to the front dashboard:

Here's the front dash - this is now covered in cat beds and other pillows, defining the space for them better:

This is the same - it used to be the dining area, but has two cat trees pushed together, and window seats in front of the windows on that side. There's a third cat tree you can't see in the corner, between the windows and the wall.

.....and today, I wasn't focused on taking pictures, but did manage to grab one with Charlie and Flowerbelle in the picture.

He was very interested in the bedroom door!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie, FABULOUS news, I am so happy for you! It went very very well!YAY
!

I love the photo of Charlie and Flowerbelle, she has such a sweet disposition. I can't wait to read about the next step!

Yes, I completely agree about the crate making them nervous.

Looking back at the process with Sweet Pea, I think his intro with Leo would been so much easier on everybody if we did not have the few months of socializing work to do with Sweets. This is what made Leo upset and unsure of what it all meant for him.

This update made my day
!
Marina

PS Love the setup for the kitties too!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reactions (and non-reactions!!!) to his scent is so awesome!!! So glad things are going so well!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the reactions (and non-reactions
) continue to go better than I would have anticipated. And differently than I anticipated.

Charlie came out of the crate a slight bit more confidently today. This time Gary was in the bedroom with the other kitties, and called out "Hi Charlie" who meowed his "hi" back to him - and walked out of the crate straight to the bedroom door. Gary and he said "hi" to each other a couple of times - then he turned around to check everything out again.

Went straight to the litter boxes (I thought he was going to go to the bathroom LOL) - but no, was just checking them all out, a detailed inspection. I tried to show him the back way into one of them - either he "got it" and didn't care or he didn't get that there was another way around - but he and I noticed Flowerbelle staring down at him from the dashboard at the same time.

He wasn't bothered by it at all - and went back to walking around and checking everything out. This time he checked out under the couch for a while - he figured out there were two sides to it that he could get through by going to the back of the couch (we have everything set up to the extent possible that no one can get backed into a corner anywhere).

He laid under there for a while, and I lured him out with a wand toy. Once he was out, he stopped at the scratcher (horizontal cardboard like his) and scratched.
Yawned, stretched - hopped up on the cat tree, jumped up to the window seat - craned his neck looking out the window for a few minutes, then up to his same spot on the cat tree and just lounged there.

I played with him for a few minutes with a wand toy... and then Billy started going nuts under the door (and he's a talker!!!!). Flowerbelle had wandered over there - she wanted in - so I opened the door a crack, and let her in and let Billy out.

Bill didn't notice Charlie - but he noticed Bill. Bill walked over to the empty crate to check it out, then just kept rubbing around my legs... and Charlie didn't tense up at all.... so I picked Billy up to show him where Charlie was. Billy pulled his head back a bit - but Charlie leaned out all friendly! Could have knocked me over with a feather - I would have expected the complete opposite. Billy is a SUPER "cat friendly" cat - and here's Charlie, making the first "let's say "hi"" move!

So I put Billy down - and figured - let's use food. I put a little food out for both Charlie and Billy - and the two most food-motivated kitties I know sniffed at it but wouldn't eat! Again -

So I got the wand toy out - and Bill wasn't interested until Charlie started playing. Then Billy went up the other cat tree into the tree house part - and I took turns playing with Billy and Charlie. They both seemed quite content.

You'd think I'd have learned from yesterday, but I assumed Spook was asleep under the bed (where she often is). But nope - in the middle of playing with the two boys, Spooky comes crawling out of the tube!

She was horrible when we brought Ming Loy home - took her a year to get over it. But when we intro'd Billy, apart from an initial hiss, she really had (and has) no problems with him. So just jealous of females????? Anyway, she didn't see or notice Charlie - and he saw her - same thing as with Bill. So I picked her up - and Charlie reached out to sniff her - and she just kinda sat there in my arms - didn't reach out, didin't pull back, didn't flap her tail around or anything.... so I set her down. She walked over to the crate, sniffed it, drank some water, and went under the couch (another one of her favorite spots).

Gary said the kitties in the bedroom were starting to get really agitated (it'd been about an hour at this point), so I picked Charlie up off the tree and set him on the back of the couch (he hadn't been there yet)... he jumped down, sat by me for a few pets, then hopped down and looked under the couch - saw Spooky (no one hissed or anything) - and he decided to go under the other side of the couch (that side has a sheepskin). He turned around - and lay down! Spooky went to the back part under the couch that connects the two sides and lay down - not sprawled, but not meatloaf - and just lay there smelling his tail. He turned around and looked at her - and just let her be - and left his tail there - not twitching or anything!

I know this is only day two - but really, this is amazingly encouraging. I think it'll be very different once all the cats are out - but who knows? I figured we wouldn't even be at the intro stage yet, and he's already met Flowerbelle, Billy and Spooky!

I put him in his crate to go home - and opened the bedroom door. Shelly and Tuxie came flying out of there - and sniffed at the crate while I switched the air conditioning from the bedroom to the living room. I didn't want Charlie to feel overwhelmed, so I took him and left at that point. But he wasn't cowering in a corner of the crate or hissing or anything - and the boys weren't hissing or growling. Tuxie and Shelly tend to be great with new intros.... so maybe tomorrow we bring one (or both????) of them out.

It will be interesting, because Shelly will most likely want to interact with him (thought Billy was going to be "that" cat, go figure) - so we'll have to see how he reacts to a cat that actually wants to check him out.

All I can do is hope that by doing it this way it won't be overwhelming to him when they're all free to go wherever they want.... and that they won't be all over him because they're used to him being here.... and I think we're just going to stick with getting him really comfortable with the space up front for now. The more familiar he is with the lay out, the more likely there won't be problems because he knows how to navigate the space. At least - that's the thinking.
We'll deal with the bedroom later.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[size=+2]OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!![/size]

Western Blot results are back. He is a "transient positive." The Western Blot test for 2 specific proteins - if both are present, it is a definite positive. If neither are present, it is a definite negative.

This means he was bitten by a cat with FIV, but he is fighting it.... and sometimes they win! He may test negative in a month! The testing place said 3-4 weeks; the vet usually recommends 4-6 weeks - so she said because of our situation, she'd recommend 4 weeks.

I ordered Transfer Factor Feline Complete for him.

Come on Charlie, fight this thing!!!!

He doesn't seem to be overly stressing from these daily visits.... but we have to find out from the people we're renting the trailer from exactly when they need it back. I am SO HOPING they've changed their travel plans or something and haven't told us.... (doubt it, but I can hope LOL). If we didn't have to put Charlie or our gang through the stress of moving him over here, I'm sure that would help.

...of course.... being over here is much better than being in boarding (right?)

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie
I just read the updates and I have tears of joy rolling down my face. I am doing OMG OMG OMG in my office and Tubi is starring at me "what is wrong meowmie"?

Charlie, you can fight it, you are STRONG and the universe loves you sweetheart

And the intro update, isn't this AMAZING? When I read it, I felt as if I was an observer in the room

I have to email my husband with the news
!

A BIG HUG to you!
Marina

PS When we swapped "rooms" between Sweets and Leo we did the same thing. I would open the door for Sweets to come out and Joe would go in Sweet's room holding Leo in his arms. We would close the door, Joe was in the room with Leo. I was in the rest of the house with Sweets and encouraged him to stay in the living room which is wide open. I wanted the two boys to eventually meet in an open room where they would both feel comfortable, sort of like a neutral territory.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh yes, better than boarding, of course. And really it doens't sound like bringing Charlie in is going to cause anyone very much stress at all.

this is all going so well I've got tears streaming down my face reading, even before I got to the test results.

wow. just...wow!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great news about the test results, Laurie.
Sound like the intros are going really well. I'm so happy for you guys and Charlie!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
to all, and THANK YOU for the for Charlie!

I know I write so much it's a pain to read through it all...
so
for that too.

Also, I've started calling him "Charles." My dad is Charlies (nickname Chuck, never Charlie). He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 9 years old in 1940. They gave him 15 years to live at the time - they understand the disease much better now than they did. But all of his Type 1 friends were dead by the time he was 55. He'll turn 80 next year - he's experiencing side-effects, of course - but the most major was quintuple bypass when he was 65. He has always followed a VERY strict diet and exercise program - and though Charles Tabby doesn't respond to his new name as well
, I think he needs to be a lot more like my dad than he does "Charlie Brown" tabby.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveWhiskers

PS When we swapped "rooms" between Sweets and Leo we did the same thing. I would open the door for Sweets to come out and Joe would go in Sweet's room holding Leo in his arms. We would close the door, Joe was in the room with Leo. I was in the rest of the house with Sweets and encouraged him to stay in the living room which is wide open. I wanted the two boys to eventually meet in an open room where they would both feel comfortable, sort of like a neutral territory.
I am CERTAIN this is the mistake we made with Billy. We couldn't do the slower version of intros, so we just brought him home, closed the bedroom door with no cats in there but both of us were in there), and released him into the bedroom - gave him a couple hours of alone time - but that was really all he got. We tried to give him a couple of hours of alone time each day. The problem with that? We were focusing too much on Billy, and not enough on our cats. It had been too long since we'd fostered/introduced a newbie, and we forgot the golden rule - don't make your own cats jealous.
We got lucky at how well he adjusted to being inside and his trust of us - Lazlo - at the time alpha kitty - was severely unhappy about the situation. Lazlo is still schizo about Bill (but at least flips and flops between grooming him or chasing him LOL)... but it does seem as though Tuxie has resumed alpha status, now that his health is fully and completely 100%. It's kind of fluid between Tuxie and Lazlo, though again, I suspect that was only because of Tuxie's health over the past six years. Things are much calmer and more orderly when Tuxedo Commander is in charge
, so this is good right now.

But Billy was in quarantine at the vet for almost two weeks (giardia) - so we really could have at least swapped scents before he came home.

In the end, everything went pretty well - but looking back on it all, I can see it took him 6-7 months to really feel fully comfortable that this was also "his" place.

Anyway, the point was that I think you're right about creating the "neutral" space, and that's a great way of putting it.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We also focused a lot on Sweets but we had no choice, we had to socialize him and make up for the terrible time he had when we did not know any better and kept him in the crate. By the time the intro started, Leo was very upset and unsure about everythig, and it showed. He really did not hate Sweets, he hated the uncertainty that Sweets brought in his life.

We used to sit down and write a plan for what needs to happen the next day and how we would handle everything. Always the complication was that we could not handle Sweets; we still can't but Joe thinks someday we will be able to.

And the "neutral space" worked. I kept thinking that having them meet face to face in Sweets's room can not be a good idea for either one of them.

Lazlo lives up to his Hungarian name for sure, he sounds like a feisty boy!

Kisses to Charles!

Marina

PS Your dad is a fighter!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His cool kid or cool cousin or cool niece or nephew keeps avoiding the trap! (This pic was not taken while trying to trap
). This is Inkblot:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Day Three

"Uneventful."

He seemed a little more nervous today - but maybe he knew there were more cats out. ????

Our kitties have learned that the engine being turned over is not resulting in motion... so they're ignoring it now. I called them into the bedroom for treats, and managed to get out with Shelly, Tuxedo and Ming Loy left in the bedroom.

We have all those overhead cabinets in the RV. There are three above the window where the cat trees are. They're all connected, but we were using two of them, the third we left open with a cat bed in it. We cleaned out the other two - it means no one can get trapped up there as there are two entrances and exits. I did put a cat bed in the middle. Lazlo has claimed ownership and taken up residence up there. I figured - he won't even come out while CK Charles is over. The first thing I've been right about.

As he'd already met Spooky, Billy, and Flowerbelle, I didn't worry about them being out.

He checked out the litter boxes again, explored the front dash area more, jumped up and down places he hadn't before - got used to walking across stuff to get from one place to another - and laid down in a new spot for him up front.

I figured - let him be. Billy started meowling, so I let him out of the bedroom. I grabbed a brush - and sat down on the floor. Billy crawled into my lap, and we had a brush session. CK Charles just watched.

Flowerbelle had come out from wherever she was sleeping, and wanted in the bedroom, so I let her in there. Billy just wrapped around my legs as I walked, rubbing and purring and being a tail up boy. I think that helps CK Charles.

He jumped down, sniffed around the water fountain, scratched on the scratcher again, investigated under the cat trees, then hopped up on the cat tree - one level lower (even better, it's the one Flowerbelle uses most, so is the least disruptive) and just hung out.

I figured - just focus on the other kitties. I told Lazlo Charlie was here - he could meet him if he wanted to, and played with him (tossing it up in the cabinet
) for a few. Billy kept wanting in and out of the bedroom, so I ended up letting Shellly out.

He didn't even notice CK Charles - gave him his food (he eats on the platform just below where CK Charles was hangin' ). He must have known Charlie was there though - because when I started brushing him after he ate, he kept letting his tail drape over the level where CK Charles was - and Charlie sniffed, but was lying down with his back legs sprawled out and one front leg tucked up under his chest, the other one hanging over the edge of the platform.

So that was it! Billy kept wanting in and out - it was very annoying, so I just opened the bedroom door! Charlie looked in and saw Tuxedo. Tuxie started to come out - but saw the crate and thought better of it.

Ming Loy weebled her way out (she's got cerebellar hypoplasia, so wobbles and falls and can't jump).

...and I just basically played with and petted the other kitties, and just let CK Charles sit and take it all in. They basically ignored him, though at one point Shelly (who's tall) did stretch his neck up to sniff CK Charles' foot - and Charlie leaned forward to sniff Shelly's nose - and that was it.

I guess we just continue with this. Technically he hasn't "met" Tuxedo, Lazlo and Ming Loy - but he saw Ming Loy and Tuxie today, and got to watch Ming Loy for a while. Edited to add: He did get to see Lazlo! I put Laz's food dish up in "his" cabinet, so he was in the open cabinet CK Charles could easily see. He just watched - the noise of Laz eating caught his attention.

Again - I have no idea what happens whatever day it is that he doesn't go home - but his stays are getting a little longer each time, and I take everyone ignoring that he's here as a good thing - and his just hanging out and taking it all in a good thing. I did play with him a little bit at some point - but wanted to focus on the other kitties today.

OH! I don't think I ever mentioned that Charlie "plays" blinkies. At one point I was sitting over on the couch brushing both Shel and Bill alternately, and I looked over at Charlie and gave him a long, slow, blink. When I opened my eyes, his were shut, and we blinked three times back and forth. So that's gotta be a relaxed kitty, right?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, we had to reschedule the vet visit to Tuxie's vet for next week.

Today was what... day four?

Brought him over earlier, and he stayed longer. Today it was just because I looked around - and noticed I couldn't see a single cat. So I went to get Charlie. Today we released him in the bedroom instead of the living room. He was freaked - with blankets and everything, the bed was too squishy, I think. He was a little intimidated to jump down in the hall - turns out Billy was on the floor there (and it's very thin).

So I put Bill on the cat bed in the bedroom (right next to the bed), and Charlie jumped down on his own. He was scared of the fan on the kitchen floor, so I turned it off. He headed for the litter boxes again.
This time he used one.

"What a good boy!"

He jumped up to the cat bed on top of the printer and plopped down. He noticed Lazlo was up in the window - I think that made him a little nervous.

Shel and Bill came out - so I just played with them. Gary came out with brushes, and he sat with Shel on his lap and I sat with Bill on mine, and they got brushies.

Basically - he was here for hours. He played a little - but mostly just watched Billy and Shelly interact - Shel grooming Bill, Bill wrapping his tail around Shelly - Shelly getting annoyed and tackling Billy, Shelly running away.... it woke up Ming Loy, who came out from up front - that surprised him - but she went the other way down from the dash. He just watched. Played with her for a bit - we kept explaining to him her handicap as she played.

Basically - he was here a good part of the afternoon, and we just took him home.

He was clearly much more nervous with all the cats about - but we're just letting him take the "watch and learn" approach, as he seems OK to just lie there - and they're uninterested in interacting with him in any particular way.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still amazing for having that many cats around, I remember letting mine meet a kitten I was fostering and I could have swore they thought she was a 6ft dog bent on attacking them the way they acted (thankfuly they are better around adult cats)