Help! Charlie is FIV+

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you luck with getting the video - you're going to have to wear your camera on your head -- ready for "the moment(s)".

Your word pictures are great - I can picture what they're doing.

I don't think non-cat people can understand the blessings we experience caring for these remarkable creatures.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's time for an update.

"Charlie" has been with us FT for 1 1/2 months now. I use quotes around his name, because yesterday we renamed him. He is now officially Chumley. We needed to find a name that was close - but not the same.

Tuxie is actually named after the cartoon character (OK, REALLY dating myself here) Tennessee Tuxedo (a penguin). (He should have been named Ricochet Rabbit
). Tennessee's best friend is a "South Pole" (one of a kind) Walrus - Chumley. So it's kind of too bad that Billy and Tuxie's names aren't reversed, because Billy and (now) Chumley are best friends. They lie around together all day grooming each other (well, mostly Chumley grooming Billy
). Billy got over his case of being jealous REALLY quickly.

....but Shelly's developed. No one else bothers about Chumley. Spooky was a little hissy here and there - but given that was it, that was amazing.

Shel, normally our ambassador, decided that he was NOT happy that Chumley seemed to want to always hang out in places that Shel does. Not at the same time, mind you - just always spots Shelly uses at some point. Not Lazlo's up front or in the overhead cabinet. Not Tuxie's on my chair or Gary's chair, or the spot he uses in the front window... only places Shelly uses. Shelly was fine when Billy used them. But something about Chumley came to bother him.... enough that he decided that wherever Chumley is, he wanted to be - and RIGHT THEN.

Thankfully Chum doesn't feel a need to defend the space. And thankfully Shelly isn't overly aggressive.

So we're using a combo of continued positive reinforcement and time outs. This is working - the incidence of Shelly needing "his spot" is down to not even once a day now. (We also changed where they eat, so that Shelly is now on the upper shelf of the cat tree, Chumley eats in the corner where Billy did, and Bill eats on the floor, because he doesn't care).

...but yesterday Gary realized that "Shelly" and "Charlie" sound an awful lot alike - and that every time we talk to "Charlie," Shelly thinks we're talking to him.

So who knows? The name transition is going fine for us - and Chum doesn't seem overly confused. We like the name better than Charlie anyway - and we loved Chumley (the Walrus) - and it seems a more appropriate name, anyway.

OH! Chum sleeps on the bed with us every night. He usually - at some point - moves to the pillows over my head.

He still isn't purring a lot, and prefers to play rather than being petted... but it took Billy several months to "get up" his purr, and Charlie seems VERY happy. He's like Billy - he's just got an indominatable spirit. And he still tries to groom Shelly at least once a day. Shel's usually good for one or two licks back at him.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news - wonderful progress!
Also, very encouraging for others that are caring for "special needs" cats.

I don't know if I can get used to the name change - but if Chumley can - guess that's all that matters.

Thanks for the update Laurie!
Gloria

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update on Chumley!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Incredible how complex kitties and their relationships are, it never ceases to amaze me. Maybe the name confusion made Shelly somehow jealous and displaced. Do you use the same kind of baby talk when you address them? Your method definitely works if the "I want your place" incidents are down to one per day.

I remember how shocked we were when Sammy who is our teddy bear and ambasador for friendship was angry when we started the intros with Sweets through the gate. We could not believe it!

Love that Chumley boy sleeps with you at night!

Marina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're pretty sure the name confusion at least contributed to Shelly feeling jealous and displaced.
We have no idea if the name change will help at all or not (especially so late into his moving over here) - but WTH.

And yes - we use a kind of baby voice (usually) for all of them - don't really have different voices for different cats. Don't know that I could do 8 different voices!
But maybe we should work on making a special one just for Shelly.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the name must have contributed to Shelly's being upset since he did not have a problem with Chumley right away. The name change may work!

I know it's not easy to have a different baby voice but a special baby talk (I mean special words with a different tone) may help him. I have a special baby talk for Leo, it basically contains his nicknames in a special tone I use just with him.

I am so happy overall things are going so so well!

Marina