Found Abandoned Kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
handsome kitty handsome kitty My mom spoils my dog rotten. He's a chorkie (Yorkie Chihuahua mixed.) That is her first grand-furry-baby.
It's my dad who is spoiling Khoas, which is a surprise. He told me I could never get a cat again and that he never wanted another one.

We had a cat years ago, Pookie. She was a red long haired tabby. She died of jaundice at age six. I woke up one morning when I was 11, and she was dead in my arms, curled to my chest. We had had her since she was 5-6 weeks, so ever since I was 5 yrs old. She was the sister I never had, and it was hard waking up with her like that--hard on all of us. I'd say it was harder on my brother and me. He was 9 and I was 11, it was the first death we experienced that was so close--that impacted us so much. It's a given my dad didn't want a cat again.

Khaos sort of pushed his way into our lives, and he's not going anywhere, now. Somewhere down the road I want to get another cat to keep him company. I'll probably adopted an older cat, an all black one. :p I've always wanted one of those.

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any tips/tricks for discipline? His biting is getting worse. He just bit my face really hard. =_= I'm also trying to go to bed.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I'm trying. When I tell him "no" and walk away, he gets the point most of the time. But it all gets ruined when my parents let him bite them. That's where he got it from, I think. He's learning "come here" as of now, "no still has a long way to go. :(
As Stewball said nip it in the bud , my feral kitten is 5 years old now and bites very hard still, breaking the skin. He never learned from mom or siblings it was bad to do! I even (against my beliefs) had him declawed (or pts) his attacks were that bad. I have the scars still on my arms. These are learned behaviors from mom and siblings he never learned since he was abandoned at 5 weeks. Even my feral girl, with her claws intact is afraid of him, he is also a big boy, he outweighs her by 10 pounds![emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji] I think he found the only person on the planet who would tolerate him instead of getting rid of him, and he was a sweet kitten once! [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Anyone have any tips/tricks for discipline? His biting is getting worse. He just bit my face really hard. =_= I'm also trying to go to bed.
The way mother cats and sibling kittens teach each other not to bite is to squeal in pain when they get nipped. He doesn't realise he is hurting you, you have to mimic the noise another cat would make so that he'll understand.

I high pitched squeal usually stops them in their tracks. My sister trained her puppy by down-loading a puppy pain yelp onto her phone and playing it whenever her puppy nipped her. It worked really well.

Have a look at some YouTube videos of kittens playing, That will give you an idea of what noise you need to make.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

The way mother cats and sibling kittens teach each other not to bite is to squeal in pain when they get nipped. He doesn't realise he is hurting you, you have to mimic the noise another cat would make so that he'll understand.

I high pitched squeal usually stops them in their tracks.
That's very interesting, Norachan. 

My adopted shelter cat, Ruby, who is about 4 years old, always nips and bites at my hands when she comes into my bedroom in the morning looking for breakfast.  

One morning she bit too hard and one tooth broke through the skin on my finger.  As I was half asleep, it really shocked me, plus it actually hurt, and I loudly squealed "owwwww".   My squeal really shocked Ruby, and poor thing ended up crawling under the covers to hide.

She still bites at my hands in the morning, and I always pull my hand back and say "no", but she has never bitten so hard to break the skin since.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting, Norachan. 

My adopted shelter cat, Ruby, who is about 4 years old, always nips and bites at my hands when she comes into my bedroom in the morning looking for breakfast.  

One morning she bit too hard and one tooth broke through the skin on my finger.  As I was half asleep, it really shocked me, plus it actually hurt, and I loudly squealed "owwwww".   My squeal really shocked Ruby, and poor thing ended up crawling under the covers to hide.

She still bites at my hands in the morning, and I always pull my hand back and say "no", but she has never bitten so hard to break the skin since.
I know it hurts, mine breaks the skin every time when he bites, he punctures you

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I'm sorry, I didn't to laugh at your post, but I found it really cute that she hid so close to you after that. I know she didn't mean to hurt you but, it was something to give me a little giggle. I was a little sad after read a thread I followed. One of the site's member's beauty kitten passed away, and I couldn't stop crying. But your post just help... also, Khaos is beating up a stuffed bunny, bunny kicking it. This little one is living up to his name. :p

A little update, though:
Khoas bit my face 2 times last night. He seems to get it when I squeal, but it's not enough for him to stop. :(
We have some bitter apple spray. I'll be putting that on my feet and legs. Even after I wash my hands to eat, I always taste that nasty stuff. *shivers from memory* Right now he seems to be interested in the toy we got him yesterday--thank goodness.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@NikkyKay  I was in tears about the precious baby passing. People at work was looking at me strange crying at my desk.

I wish you the best of luck with Khoas' training. It will just take him time to learn what he can and can't do. You are doing an excellent job with him.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama I'm sorry, I didn't to laugh at your post, but I found it really cute that she hid so close to you after that. I know she didn't mean to hurt you but, it was something to give me a little giggle. I was a little sad after read a thread I followed. One of the site's member's beauty kitten passed away, and I couldn't stop crying. But your post just help... also, Khaos is beating up a stuffed bunny, bunny kicking it. This little one is living up to his name. :p

A little update, though:
Khoas bit my face 2 times last night. He seems to get it when I squeal, but it's not enough for him to stop.

We have some bitter apple spray. I'll be putting that on my feet and legs. Even after I wash my hands to eat, I always taste that nasty stuff. *shivers from memory* Right now he seems to be interested in the toy we got him yesterday--thank goodness.
  I used to run my hands down the side of Eclipse's face, then his body and kiss his cheek.  He tried to imitate the action by putting a paw on either side if my face and running it down then biting my cheek.  He gave up on the paw thing but kept biting my cheek or the side of my neck while I held him.  I have quit kissing his cheek.   Yelping in pain took a few times but he did eventually stop.

I wouldn't put the bitter apple on your hands.  Every time you touch him you will put that taste on him.  You could try sleeping with a balaclava.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one that would just nip my fingers. She never bit hard but actually take my fingers between her teeth and then let them go. We always called them tooth hugs because she only did it when we were petting her or when she was laying in our lap (of course getting petted). I guess that was the only way she could figure out how to "hug" us back.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a red tabby who is 15 mos. old, and when overstimulated and excited when I am petting him will give me a "love bite" where he will put a part of my hand in his mouth, but NEVER bites down and breaks the skin. So, of course he never hurts me, but still it is a little unnerving when they put a piece of their human's body in their mouth. I have learned through reading from our fine cat experts on this website, that this behavior is normal behavior when over stimulated. My marmalade, when excited loves to roll and roll on his back, and I know at that point, BEWARE, my little guy is excited and expect that "love bite". And, sure enough, it follows.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@rubysmama I'm sorry, I didn't to laugh at your post, but I found it really cute that she hid so close to you after that. I know she didn't mean to hurt you but, it was something to give me a little giggle. I was a little sad after read a thread I followed. One of the site's member's beauty kitten passed away, and I couldn't stop crying. But your post just help... also, Khaos is beating up a stuffed bunny, bunny kicking it. This little one is living up to his name. :p
Glad Ruby's story made you laugh.  It was pretty funny at the time, and yes, instead of bolting from the room, she slithered under the covers. LOL.

I, too, was following the thread on Gravity, as was saddened to read the update this morning.  His story was so similar to your little Khaos, that I think that made seeing the news even harder.

And speaking of little Khaos, can't believe it's been over 7 weeks since you found him.  It's been fun watching him grow into a healthy, mischievous kitty.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I used to run my hands down the side of Eclipse's face, then his body and kiss his cheek.  He tried to imitate the action by putting a paw on either side if my face and running it down then biting my cheek.  He gave up on the paw thing but kept biting my cheek or the side of my neck while I held him.  I have quit kissing his cheek.   Yelping in pain took a few times but he did eventually stop.

I wouldn't put the bitter apple on your hands.  Every time you touch him you will put that taste on him.  You could try sleeping with a balaclava.
LOL!

mauriciomiau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi nikkykay nikkykay !
Congratulations on your great efforts for your kitten and thank you for sharing your experience.
A week ago I rescued for the a newborn kitten and reading this thread is very useful right now :)

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading your thread   

@NikkyKay  and I so enjoyed reading your journey in raising Khaos. You did such a beautiful job!! He is a cutie pie and I look forward to checking back for more stories.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank very much you!  I very much enjoy my journey with Khaos!