Found Abandoned Kitten!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any update on him? I hope he is doing better, kittens can dehydrate quickly. Did you change his food recently or maybe he got into the dog's food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for not updating! I've recently started on a project with a few friends. It's taken up a substantial amount of my free time.

Anywho, not much of an update to give. I'm guessing he was sick from consuming dog food. I frequently have to run after him to get piece out of his mouth. He does not like that. Lol
I'm still having major problems with his biting. It's gotten really bad recently, and I'm running out of options. Nothing seems to work for long. And the biting is terribly painful. It's always when I'm trying to sleep, too.
He's also been loving the window. It's a frequent habit of his to sit in a loaf as he watches random things out my window. Mostly the trees, because they have birds in them. And he started hunting flies today. Lol.
Other than that, the little one is healthy as can be. He still won't drink water, though. And he's 10 1/2 weeks old. :/

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is losing is baby face. From the side he still looks the same, but straight on he looks older.

On the second picture, you can see where he had no fur the first week of his little life. The fur there is shorter and a bit thinner than the rest of his body.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He is really handsome. I wonder how he would react to another kitten his age? Maybe if he had another cat to play with he'd learn how to play gently and stop biting you. Has he ever met another cat or only hung out with dogs?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is really handsome. I wonder how he would react to another kitten his age? Maybe if he had another cat to play with he'd learn how to play gently and stop biting you. Has he ever met another cat or only hung out with dogs?
Good idea norachan for him to have a partner (in crime) no seriously. Maybe he needs a special friend.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea norachan for him to have a partner (in crime) no seriously. Maybe he needs a special friend.
 I second both these suggestions. I recently took my kitty Grinnie to visit his brother for a couple of days and his family says Conan has never been as calm and happy. They are even considering keeping my Grinnie! (something I don't mind since I have 2 other kitties at home: Wanda and Momma Grin keep each other company) 

It does help to have a partner in crime for them to learn many more wonderful kitty things 

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! It feels like so long! I now have time, and BOY do I have a lot to get you guys up on. I'll upload some pictures later. I actually haven't had time to take any. He only has 2-3 that I have taken. So I'll be bothering him for a few more in a bit. 

-As you all might have guessed, Khaos is 12 weeks old today! He's so big, I don't know what to do. Watching him grow everyday is such  a joy. He's so long, too; slim and long.

-A few days ago (on the 5th) he was weighed by the vet, and he weighed 2.8 lbs. I can't really weigh him anymore, though. He moves too much and is too big to put in a bowl on the scale. lol He glared at me when I tried to do it. :D

-I'm proud to say that he drinks water by himself now! He started on Tuesday (the 4th.) It's the cutest thing to watch him push the dogs out of the way to drink water. The bowl is big enough to be his own little pool. When he sits, his shoulders barely reach past it. 

-He's gotten into the habit of eating dog food, that I've been trying desperately to get him out of. =_______= That is an exhausting task. He gets mad when I pull him away and hide the food.

-He still bites like crazy. I swear it had gotten worse. He'll take most of his "anger" out on blankets and toys though.

-Oh! And he loves to sleep in baskets and the windowsill. 

-He his so much more playful now. I love when he does his "you can't see me, right?" face. He hides behind whatever and just watches me, shaking his little butt until he pounces. He normally just hops everywhere, then runs away to do it again. I swear, though, the "you can't see me face" is so adorable! His eyes get so big and his ears are straight up on his head, while he tilts it up. Gah, he's so cute it should be illegal! 

-We recently obtained a tunnel and little square-y thingy that goes with it. It's from Toys "R" Us. He loves the thing. He'll run through it and roll on the sides, making the whole thing tip, then runs out the middle hole, jumps back in, and goes into the square.

-I have been giving him extra meat with his meals to fill him up more. He eats like a monster still. I can't expect less, though. He is a growing boy.  So far he loves chicken, beef, turkey, salmon, and tuna. He prefers chicken from all else, but he's not too picky on what to eat. If it smells good, he eats it. He also LOVES eggs, carrots, and pumpkin. Funny too, he stole one of the dog's mix of chicken and rice when she was sick. Bella (our dog who was sick) did want it, so he dove for it. So I guess he likes rice, too. He rarely gets that, though. 

-My mom recently made the decision to get him neutered. And he was on the 5th of this month. I wish she would have waited, though. That was a drama in itself deal with. He happen to hit his incision somehow, somewhere, making him bleed out in his sleep. It was utterly terrifying for him to come out from under my bed covered in blood from the waist down. He's a little anemic because of that, though he still rather play than rest. He get's so hyped up I have to lock him in crate so he rests. His gums are still white and his paws are still a little cold, but he'll be eating a bit of liver today. Other than that, he's recovering a lot better than the three other animals who were fixed on the same day. He started demanding his full meals only a few hours after the surgery. 

-All in all, Khaos is as healthy as can be, despite the small anemia problem. 

Please look forward to the pictures that will be coming soon!! :DDD

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I'm not allowed to get another cat. I'm lucky enough to have him. My parents never wanted to get a new one. So a kitty playmate/sibling is out of the picture. He only has the dogs. If I can find people who are willing to have little "play dates" with him, that would be great. But I doubt that will happen. I live in a rural area. A small town in the middle of nowhere, near another small town in the middle of nowhere! lol

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great update!  We also have the Toys r us tunnel and cube.  We have 2 cubes, each in a different room.  Eclipse and Fluffy love them  Our cat's love anything from Toys r us.

There is a dog food that is also for cats.  I don't know what brand or the name but I saw it mentioned in the food forum.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds like he's cuter than ever at three months old! Can't wait to see more pictures :).

Although I'm sorry he bumped his inscision (which I did not know vets do for males anymore), I'm glad he is now neutered. I have 3 male kittens who were all neutered with tiny cuts to the testicles only.

It sounds like he eats so well that he'll have full energy back very quickly. The extra protein you give him is very good for him and sounds like he loves it! Not a picky eater at all!

The dogs are good playmates for him in lieu of another kitten. He will be nothing short of an energy monster for a few more months, and he'll begin looking more like an adult cat in size by the time he's six months old, but won't be getting the male hormone-driven aggressiveness since he was neutered early.

He sounds like a happy little camper to me :).

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2   They did do the two little incision on his testicles. They weren't complete closed over when he came home. I don't know how he did it either, but he walked out from under my bed covered in blood. He bled out a lot, too. There was a trail of semi-dried blood coming form both cuts, that went all the way down to his right foot and the middle of his tail, and he had a little on his back. It clotted over on the blanket that he was sleeping on--which had a huge puddle of blood as well. He also would not let me clean him. He was so scared. He was shaking and I had to put in in the crate where he'd just meow softly until he went to sleep. He cleaned himself and would not let me touch the area at all. He's fine now, though. At the moment he is taking a nap at the end of my bed. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness, what happened is frightening! I think you're lucky he's okay. Poor Khaos must have been very scared, and a little sore too! I'm doubly relieved that he's better now.

Did you call and speak to the vet about it?

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we did. They pretty much said there was nothing that they could do because it was a "superficial" wound. He very well could have died, and their attitude was a "not my problem" one. I feel like becoming a veterinarian just so I know the care my animals will be getting. It's ridiculous, the attitude and nerve of some people

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is ridiculous. I would have thought they might want to see him to check his inscision.

Did they give you antibiotics in case it gets infected? You may want to ask about that. After all, it burst open and bled and was exposed.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they given him Iron tablets or something? Also if he is not on pain meds, he should be, that is a surgery. Anemia is a bit of an emergency. I am surprised they did not have you come in with him and to re-glue the skin closed, my Vet surgical glues the males after neuter, females get sutures.