Feral/Stray Momma Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So little girl went from 117 to 127g and the chubbers went from 129 to 137g! They both weight within a few grams of each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I almost teared up too! And if you keep a kitten, and your MIL takes the other two ...

I think hubby sees the bonding between you and the mom. This is too sweet!

Well, don't let her outside at all, for starters. And lots of petting and attention. When the kittens are weaning and don't need her quite so much, and after she's been segregated with just them for a few weeks to create basic trust, you'll have to let her explore the whole house and meet the dogs. And that room and closet will be her safe place to return to away from everything. There may be hissing and arched backs and paw batting toward the dogs, but she'll figure it out. It takes time. Maybe others will have additional tips!

Glad she used her litter pan! Go, Mama! :)

Excellent weight gains! They need to keep it up over the next few days and you're out of the woods.

This is a happy day! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! My plan is to keep her segregated to the room and kennel for the next couple of weeks. Let her roam in the room while I'm in there for longer periods (nap time and at night) and still check on them every couple of hours for now, as suggested.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two girls and a boy! So our little "guy" is now our little "gal"!

Yep, names will come as personalities emerge - around the time they start venturing from the nest.

Great little Peanut family! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like a good plan. And you'll be fascinated by the speed of the kittens' development, and bowled over by the emerging cuteness of the fluff balls!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you it all under control.  The kittens look so furry I wonder if she put off delivering a day or so until she was sure it was safe to have the kittens.  Most of the newborns look scragly (sp?).

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're beaaauutiful long haired babies. Momma is venturing around the room and leaving me with them more so I'll get some good pictures. Our little gal is still doing well nursing albeit she is smaller than her siblings. Our dog Luna (Shiba Inu) was a runt too and she has the biggest personality so I'm excited to see what this little one has in store. I'm so glad I have people to share peanut and her little family with. Everyone else that knows (aside from husband and animal lover MIL) thinks I've lost a few marbles with the husband away [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Non-cat people NEVER understand us cat lovers! And some don't understand that taking responsibility for helpless, defenseless creatures can be a very rewarding experience.

Just shows that you can juggle school, pets, and a toddler - ah, a day in the life of a super mom. Why not? :)

Glad our little gal continues to nurse well. Be curious to see the weight this evening.

Also glad to know mom is relaxing enough to explore the room. She's going to appreciate the high life soon enough! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I said! Why not?

So, about peanut. She's just nursing away. Should I be looking for her to eat a certain about of food? She hasn't been interested much today but she ate like there was no tomorrow yesterday. Also, I have yet to see her drink anything but KMR (a few licks last night).

She peed a TON in the kennel, so I changed linens. I'm just being a mom myself lol

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This little guy was wandering around the kennel. I can't wait for them to be a little bigger so they can't squeeze out.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may need a 2nd litter box. Some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box.  

Is that the same kitten?  Are you sure the mom isn't putting him out of the kennel.  You need to watch to be sure.  If the mom thinks something is wrong with a kitten she won't feed and take care of it.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she's feeding them all now. They seem to wander a lot, and she's not the best at gathering them up and getting them to nurse. She wasn't even moving for them yesterday but today she laid on her back to give the little ones more nipples.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How big are the holes they are getting through in the kennel? This concerns me. We have had kittens get their heads/necks/ paws stuck and become injured, or strangle and suffocate in laundry baskets with holes. Same with cages/kennels. Need a possible alternative box or plastic bin with no slits or smallish openings.

Poor mom! She will stop peeing in the kennel. That was fear and nerves and needing to go so badly but afraid to go to the pan. But they sure don't need to lay in pee.

I'm glad she's drinking KMR and eating. Her appetite may have slowed a bit since she's just lying around. How much chow is she eating from her dry bowl? Most cats will eat a can or two of wet food a day. Does she like the flavor you are serving? As long as it's being made available to her she will graze and get what she needs. I think she will eat more as she adjusts to the situation.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully the kennel is pretty darn huge and she covered it up and laid in the back! I keep the door closed because of the roaming babies and I want her to tend to them. I think she'd hang out under our bed all day if she could.

So I fixed the kennel problem with the sneaky babies by covering the sides with a few flag boxes. They just wander closer to the front now, but they can't squeeze through those bars because they're too small.

I'm offering her food every 2 hours when I check on her and the babies and let her roam (about 2 hours in the afternoon and a good 2 at night is the plan) and she's eaten maybe 1.5 oz of wet food. No kitty chow (she's never really been a fan [emoji]128514[/emoji]) and very little fluids. I know she loves canned tuna, so I may try that later.

This is becoming quite the adventure!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It certainly is an adventure! Solve one problem and on to the next! :)

If mom is eating wet food she is getting moisture. When she gets thirsty enough she'll drink.

Some cats won't eat dry food. My mama cat won't eat wet food. But she sure loves Gerber turkey baby food! And I have never met a cat who would not eat tuna and drink tuna water. I think she'll be fine! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of our babies gained another 10g exactly! I'm assuming this is GREAT!