Feral/Stray Momma Cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From my quick research, the pregnancy and lactation trigger worm eggs that may have been dormant, and are now passed to the kittens through her milk. It's okay to treat her while lactating. And ask the vet about treating the kittens too, because she can get reinfected by them (butt licking) and they won't get better without treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah! That is good to know. we'll definitely be taking her in tomorrow...poor girl is stinking me out!

Babies are getting huge! Our runt is now the biggest of the bunch (220g) and the most whiney. She's also starting to open her eyes just a little bit. The other boy and girl are doing well too. One big happy family!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One big happy stinky family! :)

Let us know what the vet says. Take a poop sample in with you in a baggie. They need to look at it under a microscope.

Got any new pics to share of the little chubbies? :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! So sweet! I love little kitten faces!

Mama looks incredibly blissful. Has she settled in totally now?

By the way, she will not like leaving her babies to go to the vet - expect protest.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the most part I think. I'm still not ready to let her roam the house, at least not until the babies are older.

I took a stool sample for her to the vet today and she doesn't have worms, which is good news. So, we'll wait out the poops another couple of days and see if she's just getting used to the new environment/diet/mama responsibilities. She is making it to the box, it's just sooo stinky and not at all solid.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good news on the worms. Did you take her off the KMR to see if it's causing the diarrhea?

Once the diarrhea stops the smell should be less too.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I quit the KMR too for now!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know if her diarrhea improves along with the smell. Otherwise, it's probably just her system adjusting to a steady diet of healthy food. Takes time. I went through that with the pregnant stray I took in.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We haven't had a blow out yet today! So I really think that's the case having ruled out worms. I'm still shocked that she didn't have worms or fleas! She's becoming such a good momma cat though. [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ I got to watch her

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had a blow out yet today! So I really think that's the case having ruled out worms. I'm still shocked that she didn't have worms or fleas! She's becoming such a good momma cat though. [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ I got to watch her
  It's sad that this sounds like a high point to your day!  LOL

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL it was, yesterday definitely because with a toddler I just couldn't fathom another thing to clean...and switching out all of the kitty litter was not anything I was looking forward to doing. No more poops!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! They will be super cute by the time your husband comes home! :)