Feral/Stray Momma Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was like 2 houses down! I sat out all night the night that she left and was hearing meowing but I thought I was going crazy. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

They're still doing great. Our little dude had one eye open today!

Oh, one thing...is it possible/likely momma could still be pregnant. She still looks thick in the middle and had a huge case of the poops. I didn't realize cats could fart but goooooooooood lord.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The poops because I know it's common before labor.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess it's back to waiting and seeing.  It could just be her uterus, it takes time to shrink.  Can you see any movement?

Febreeze is great.  Gets rid of the skunk smell when it comes in the windows here.  Just don't get the cats or their food and water.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah! I set up a litter station and Febreeze was the first thing I added!

I felt her abdomen but I don't feel movement and she is soft. She's becoming a great housecat. Still gets a little spooked but isn't as jumpy anymore.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fostered, then adopted a shelter cat 4 months ago.  She is finally settling down.  She used to hide from my husband's noisy work shoes and sandals.  And everything else at first.  It will take time and worry about keeping her kittens safe may add a little to her jumpiness.

I love febreeze!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is passing gas and pooping a lot because of her healthy diet. Cleaning out her system from the last few days too. She'll feel better for it. It smells worse when it's been inside her body longer. And she probably needs de-worming. You can buy tapeworm tablets on-line or at the pet store.

She is no longer pregnant. Like Handsome Kitty said, her uterus needs to shrink back. Mama cats almost never get their original, svelte figures back. And the house cat deal involves plenty of yummy food and little exercise. My mama kitty is a little plump too, and her kits are 15 weeks. I find that former strays enjoy their regular meals! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm meeting up with a lady in the next couple of weeks that fosters a lot of cats who is going to get me some dewormer and more flea medicine for both Mama and babies.

She's in heaven right now [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We still have the stinky poop/diarrhea problem. I'm not sure how long I should wait to see if it's diet/stress/motherhood/worms etc. Both mama and kittens will be dewormed in a couple of weeks. I just don't want her to suffer or my husband to be freaked out (any more than he already will be) when he gets home.

Any ideas of what I can do to help?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be the brand of wet food you are feeding her.  Can you try switching?  Fancy Feast Classic is supposed to be ok.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
shes getting wellness core grain free, and this is after switching from fancy feast. I'm not sure it's food (this is coming from someone who's only ever had dogs) because her first solid poop was the day after I rescued her (Saturday). [emoji]128528[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Probably worms of some sort. You may want to take her in sooner to be de-wormed. Take a stool sample. If she has worms, the kittens will need to be treated for the same ones. Worms can cause diarrhea and stinky poop.

Last edited:

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, she can be treated and it won't affect the babies (negatively) - that's my only concern right now. It's strange that she had a good poop and is now a mess! That's why it kind of threw me off.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't given her any today yet, but about 4 tbsp mixed with water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's not too much KMR. I think it's okay to treat her, but it's a good question for the vet just to make sure.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was secretly hoping that was it. So, when I do go take her to the vet do I bring the babies along? They don't need to be checked out per se...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can skip the KMR for a couple of days to see. Can't hurt. She'll be okay without it. It could be the KMR. Only way to know is to take it away for 24-48 hours.

Just take her. Babies will be okay for a couple of hours.

Last edited: