Feral/Stray Momma Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So keep checking on them I assume. I plan on going to bed at midnight and waking up at 5, is that too long of a stretch to check on them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you need some sleep! Babies and mom are doing well. All should be fine. Will you be leaving the kennel door open or closed while you sleep?

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to leave it open but I worry about the babies wandering to far and momma not bringing them back in the kennel [emoji]128543[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leave it open for mom to explore and see what happens. Maybe spread a blanket outside the kennel in case they wander. Mine used to do that, and I'd find mom nursing a foot or two away with her babies.

Believe it or not, this will all get less nerve-wracking soon! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha [emoji]128514[/emoji] thank god.

Okay I will do that. She likes hanging out under the bed, I just don't want to be fishing out babies from under places [emoji]128563[/emoji]

My husband was telling me how relieved he is that he's not home for all this [emoji]128541[/emoji] he gets to come home for the not so scary fun parts.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lol - your husband will be having kitten dreams soon himself at this rate!

Well, we'll see how it goes tonight! Big experiment! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll be super disappointed if there is pee everywhere. My biggest fear!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, no! Let's hope not!

Is mom not peeing in the litter box now?

Last edited:

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She pooped in it and I cleaned it immediately but no pee yet. I'm gonna hang out with her and hope she's motivsted to go. She wasn't bothered by my presence to poop so I assume she'll be fine to pee.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Miss Peanut needs to pee in her pan!

She's got amazing holding powers.

When I first took my stray in, I set up a litter box for her in a different room than the one in which my old kitty's was in. I showed it to her, but she didn't use it. I was amazed that she did not have to go - until I got into bed and heard what sounded like the water running in my tub in my bathroom. I got up to check, and she was peeing like a horse in the tub. The stream was so forceful that it made that draining noise as it went down. She looked at me sheepishly. I rinsed it away, but was so proud of her for at least using the tub. I showed her box to her again, and ever since she's used it.

There is hope ..

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously LOL

I woke up to that once, except it was my dog...going on the carpet..:because it was raining...

Thank god she used the tub! [emoji]128514[/emoji] I realized their holding powers when I saw the soaked sheet she peed on in the kennel. It was all ruffled up, and soaked!

These babies are doing so good thanks to your and everyone else's advice. I really can't thank you guys enough. I should be okay to sleep in that room with her (me in the bed) without having to worry about her peeing on me, right? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I left the kennel open all night, and slept in the spare bed in the room. Mama peed and pooped in the litter box (loudest thing ever :dig dig dig: for like an hour) and came in bed to hang out with me a few times! I rub my feet under the covers a lot and she even played with them (ordering a few toys today on Amazon for sure!).

Woke up, weighed our babies and the runt is no longer a runt!! She caught up to the group and actually weighs 7g more than her chubby sister (157g/150g) I need to look back and see if the other babies have gained. I know they will today with momma not wandering around as much, since she'll be in her kennel most of the day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Success! :)

What a great night. Fantastic news on the litter box. The excessive digging can drive one nuts, but it's preferable to the alternative. Told you mom would get it, AND start enjoying the domestic life. :)

Our little gal is officially no longer a runt! Her siblings better watch out!

So did they wander out of the kennel last night?

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surprisingly no! They all stayed in the kennel!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is all just ticking along quite nicely, thanks to your due diligence! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[emoji]128526[/emoji] the things we do when a furry little animal seeks us out for help.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Babies are gaining weight like crazy now! Huge round babies! Our little runt is now 170g....no longer runt status.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
WOW! :)

And to think he was almost lifeless. Many a runt dies who does not receive timely, human intervention!

Would have been a much sadder story out in the bushes. Where did you find them anyway?