Feral/Stray Momma Cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. Get rid of the bed for now so the kittens can get to her more easily. And now you see why I said to check on them a lot this weekend! ;)

Tomorrow is not soon enough. The baby must eat NOW!

Pet stores and Walmart have KMR. You need to get some NOW and feed this baby. The syrup is temporary while you get KMR today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The discharge is normal after having a litter. Nice of you to clean her. She would probably clean herself eventually once she realizes she is messy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No goats milk, at least not on hand. I think he is eating from what I can tell, he's just much smaller than his siblings which has me concerned. Looks like I'm making a run to Walmart. I knew I should have gotten the KMR when I was out.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring so much. I know it's not easy to run out like this with youngsters at home.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The KMR won't affect the runt nursing from mama?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you have ordered will not go to waste. Mama kitty needs to be drinking it now too, and the babies will drink it when they are bigger.

Glad you are going to get some. Have you seen this baby actually nurse? It can't hurt to feed the baby a little anyway to help build its strength.

If you have a soft blanket put that down for mama instead of the bed for now so the kittens can reach her. You sleeping nearby tonight is a good idea! :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen this little guy suckle very long and he is the less lively one so it is concerning me. I'm off to get the KMR! Will feed him as soon as I get my little one eating dinner. My husband is overseas so I am handling it all solo! Will make it work though. You guys are helping me tremendously!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - you are doing a great job by yourself! Kudos to you!

Yes, it really does sound like this baby needs to be fed. Read my instructions again before you feed, and just be careful.

Note the time you feed it, and feed again an hour later. We'll see how the kitten responds, but if it doesn't latch tonight, you'll need to feed every hour since it's only one day old.

You'll probably need to do the stimulating as well for now.

Hopefully he'll latch in the next 24 hours.

Sorry you've had to run around so much, but really appreciate your willingness.

Do you by any chance have a kitchen scale? If you can weigh the baby and jot it down, you'll have a baseline. The only way to know if the kitten is making progress is to weigh it every 12 hours at this point. It should gain between 6 and 10 grams a day.

Report in when you have a free moment. :)

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Affirmative. I have a kitchen scale and will keep track of feedings. I got a nurser bottle and have syringes at home as well. It's really no different than when I had my little one...jotting down feedings etc. Wasnt ready to be a mom again to a newborn [emoji]128521[/emoji] I'll do my best. I want to see these babies through. They are previous. Poor mom is doing her best, for being a house cat now.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll be able to get little guy fed within the hour. How much should I expect him to feed?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try 1 ml to start.  It needs to be luke warm or slightly warmer and so does the kitten.  A cats normal body temp is 100-102 degrees.  Try the syringe first.  The babies will not use the bottle if they are nursing.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Like I said, re-read my instruction posts above very carefully. Also let me know his weight when you have it.

You need to get .5 ml in him for starters.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once I know the kitten's weight, I can tell you how much to feed every hour or two hours. If it takes the .5 easily, go ahead with another .5 right away.

Let's hope this newborn feeding gets him strong enough to latch soon, and back to eating from mom. Better for both of you! :)

Is your husband in the service overseas?

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Runt is 117g and other 2 are almost 130g. He is not interested in the KMR. I'm thinking I should warm it a tad. He is in the service overseas right now and he'll be home for a month in 5 weeks.

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay warm rice bag and warmer KMR going in!

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama also hasn't had much at all go drink today. Should I give her KMR as well?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, give mama a dish or two of KMR to drink every day.

He's not going to want it. Try to get it in him anyway without choking him.

You must be excited to see your husband in five weeks! Please tell him how much I appreciate his service for our country! :)

Last edited:

mrsrincon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saying that!

So, I got about a mL in the little guy. He was hungry! I'm going to get the nurser bottle ready and give him more before I start the bedtime routine for my little one. How much should I be giving him until he catches up?