Feeding Pregnant Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont' want to disturb her to much the first few days how often should I be feeding her. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can eat as much as she wants. She should have dry food and water down all the time, and a few meals of wet food a day. She can also drink a dish of kmr.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do I know for sure if she has had all of the kitten's? When I check on her she still wants a belly rub like while in labor and she is purring to calm herself. 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another question. I see she is cleaning them on top well but when it comes to pee and poo I have notices a few have feces stuck mid way out. I try to put them close to her so she can do it but she will not. How do I get her to stimulate them the way they need to. Every time I go in there she is nursing them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably just exhausted and overwhelmed, but will get the hang of things soon enough! In the meantime, just help her out by gently wiping them with a warm, damp soft cloth. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just checked on Lil Bit and the kittens. I weighed all of them and I was checking on her.  I noticed that only one teat is producing milk. How do I get her production up? Right now she will only eat wet food. I can't get her to drink. I even put out some goats milk because I don't have kmr and she wont touch it. What do I do?

The weights of the kittens are

A: 3.5 ounces

B  4.5 ounces

c 4.7 ounces

d 3.7 ounces

I was so stupid I didn't weigh them yesterday. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens suckling will encourage milk production.

Those are good weights.  how old are the kittens?  You should keep using the original thread to make it easier for people to follow.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you and they are now 36 to 38 hours old.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are very good weights.  Leave them with mom and weigh again tomorrow.  If they are gaining mom has milk.  the first day she is producing colostrum and it's important for the kittens to get this.

Another thing to look/listen for - are the kittens crying?  Hungry kittens cry, well fed kittens have round tummys and sleep.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you then they are ok. They are always at a teat when I go in there. They never cry unless she gets out to eat. 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Ok thank you then they are ok. They are always at a teat when I go in there. They never cry unless she gets out to eat. 
Follow closely the weigh gain - now every 12 hours, if they dont gain you will KNOW they get too little.   IF you notice this, step in and supplement feed them. Dont wait too long.

Good you have this goat milk - you can use it instead of kmr, if you would ever need to supplement.  Exactly what sort of goat milk is it?

Kittens whom have access to momma usually refuse the bottle - it may be easier with a needleless syringe, or similiar.  Get it home too!   So you are prepared.

Tummy down, head up - body may be diagonally raised up.  In the corner of the mouth, dropwise so you are sure they manage to swallow.  If they swallow willingly, you can do it rather quickly.  If they are slow, it will take time.

With some its possible to put up the bottle teat on the syringe, and the kitten himself sucks from the syringe.

Be sure momma drinks plenty of water, entice her to do it.   Have perhaps some tuna juice in her drinking water, or a few drops of  cream in water...  Or any oter trick you can find.  Water fountain works often nicely for cats whom are reluctant with drinking water.

Of course, with only wet food she doesnt need much water.  And normally you wouldnt need to bother much, but NOW she needs fluids...

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much do they need to gain in 12 hours? I already have the syringes. I got prepared from reading other threads about it. I am also very happy that she was cleaning them earlier. Would chicken broth be ok if she will drink it. No spices of course. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

How much do they need to gain in 12 hours? I already have the syringes. I got prepared from reading other threads about it. I am also very happy that she was cleaning them earlier. Would chicken broth be ok if she will drink it. No spices of course. 
They have normal birthing weights?  So About 5 grammes a halfday,  10 grammes a day  (or more). 10 is about 1/3 if an ounce,  5 grammes thus 1/6  -

these measures are easier in grammes.

The first day they dont gain so much, partly because the first milk is colostrum.

Yes, chicken broth should be very good - it contains lotsa of water, no?   :)

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was a little late weighing them and I was a little off with the weights earlier but I have written them down both times and here are there correct weights. I had them converted to grams. 

A. 102.05   107.72

B. 119.06   127.57

C. 127.57  133.24

D. 104.89  116.23

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I was a little late weighing them and I was a little off with the weights earlier but I have written them down both times and here are there correct weights. I had them converted to grams. 

A. 102.05   107.72

B. 119.06   127.57

C. 127.57  133.24

D. 104.89  116.23
Tx for the convertion into grammes - immediately easier to see, even if you took all the decimales.

Its in 12-14 hours?  So the raises are fully satisfactory.   even if A and C are a shade thin if its 14 hours.  For 12 hours its along the table.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Tx for the convertion into grammes - immediately easier to see, even if you took all the decimales.

Its in 12-14 hours?  So the raises are fully satisfactory.   even if A and C are a shade thin if its 14 hours.  For 12 hours its along the table.
I think it was 13 hours. I am sorry for being paranoid I love these little guys so much. Kitten A is my pick. I have been calling him Jett. He is so cute. I will weigh them again at 3:30 to see how they are doing. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I think it was 13 hours. I am sorry for being paranoid I love these little guys so much. Kitten A is my pick. I have been calling him Jett. He is so cute. I will weigh them again at 3:30 to see how they are doing. 
Its important to be vigilant, and double so if not everything is so so...  The  "thin red line"  IS very thin with small kittens.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tried to give purraise but today it wont let me. Thank you both so much.

I know with human babies there is a magic date where the chances of SIDS happening drastically lowers. The four month mark it lowers but still possible til a year old. Is there a date that I can quit holding my breath so much when I check on these little ones.