Feeding Pregnant Cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To make myself more clear: the gain written up is entirely OK also for them whom gained least.  good you did took the weighting, now you KNOW they gain OK.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say, about 3 weeks.  With an extra twist, bottle / syringe fed babies sometimes refuse at that time, so you must work extra with forcing food into them...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look like they're gaining really well! I think you can start weighing every 24 hours. They are obviously getting milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I was a little late weighing them and I was a little off with the weights earlier but I have written them down both times and here are there correct weights. I had them converted to grams. 

A. 102.05   107.72

B. 119.06   127.57

C. 127.57  133.24

D. 104.89  116.23
I didn't get to weigh them at 3:30 like I wanted. My daughter had a therapy appointment and Lil Bit had a vet visit. She is doing good she has a little of an ear infection but they said she is doing great other than that. She is drinking again though but not eating as well but the dr said give it a day and if no better by tomorrow he will give her something.  I weighed them at 7. This is 15 1/2 hours gains. 

A. 113.39

B. 136.07

C. 141.74

D. 124.73

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are 2 days old today

This is my pic. S/he first born and the smallest at 4 ounces. I am calling it Jett right now. For some reason when you take pictures you can see tabby markings but to the naked eye he looks solid black. 

She is giving me the stink eye for taking pictures. 

She looks so skinny now. I need to get some weight on her. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nursing moms eat a lot.  I got a foster kitten about 11 months old after she had weened her litter.  She had actually nursed them that day.  They were almost as big as she was.  Jennie was 7ish lbs when she arrived.  She gained  1.5 to 2 lbs in the month and a half I had her.  Probably a little too much but she was so young when she got pregnant that I wanted to get nutrients back into her system.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Raw egg yolk added to somehting suitable, is a  nice boost. 

Unless you have problems with salomonella in eggs, of course.   Several years ago it was common, it seems the problems had lessened now.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tried to give her egg yolk several times and she will not eat it. She is also eating better I was able to go out and buy her the type of food she likes. She only wants the Fancy Feast grilled food. It doesn't matter the flavor it has to be grilled. She also likes the Sheba perfect portions. She ate a can of each of those along with some dry food and treats. I will feed her again before I go to bed and since I am always up in middle of the night I will feed her then too. 

I think I have some nice gains today. 

I didn't get to weigh them at 3:30 like I wanted. My daughter had a therapy appointment and Lil Bit had a vet visit. She is doing good she has a little of an ear infection but they said she is doing great other than that. She is drinking again though but not eating as well but the dr said give it a day and if no better by tomorrow he will give her something.  I weighed them at 7. This is 15 1/2 hours gains. 

A. 113.39

B. 136.07

C. 141.74

D. 124.73
A. 130.40 up 17.01

B. 155.92 up 19.85

C. 158.75 up 17.01

D. 144.58 up 19.85

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad mom is eating lots of what she likes. She needs it to keep her strength up for nursing. The weight gains are fantastic! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow has her appetite increased I am very happy for it. I took her a can of FF up at 3 am and went to check on her a few minutes ago and it was gone. I took her another can and it was being devoured as I was leaving. I bought her 30 cans yesterday hoping it would do for a week. I was thinking four cans a day with her dry food. But I think I will go get her 30 more to be on the safe side. I hate running out or getting low. It drives me crazy thinking she is hungry. 

Is there any food out there that compares to Fancy Feast grilled that is better priced? Right now I am paying 60 cents a can. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
That's pretty much the price. You can try tractor supply store or other stores to see if its cheaper. We used to feed friskies but they got bored with it. It was also cheaper than FF but I noticed its a coarser cut which may not matter but my girls are fussy.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's pretty much the price. You can try tractor supply store or other stores to see if its cheaper. We used to feed friskies but they got bored with it. It was also cheaper than FF but I noticed its a coarser cut which may not matter but my girls are fussy.
Thank you. I have tried the friskies and she will only lick the gravy. I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and get used to the extra cost for the next couple months. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Thank you. I have tried the friskies and she will only lick the gravy. I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and get used to the extra cost for the next couple months. 
you can add a can of hot water to the food and mash it with a fork-it will make it last longer and she needs the fluids too. my cats wont eat wet food unless I mash it with water added..like I said-FUSSY

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She wont eat it like that either. She is the most picky thing ever. She will only eat the the grilled kind in Fancy Feast. She is something else. I have gone through so much money trying to get her to eat. Some things she will eat a time or two then never again. Then she will take one bite and walk away. The FF grilled is the only thing that she will eat half or more of and will go back to it. I get frustrated trying to find something for her. Like she wants milk so bad. But I wont let her have it. Then I will try to give her Goats milk and she just walks away. I am going to pick up some KMR today at Jack's pets if I can and see if she will drink that. If not its already here for me for when the kittens are ready to wean. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm betting she will love the KMR! Most cats do! I went through the same thing with the pregnant stray I took in - Fancy Feast only. That's all her kittens would eat too. You'll see that her food intake decreases when the kittens wean and begin nursing less, but then they are eating loads! I buy FF at Walmart. It's a few cents cheaper per can than the grocery store. Look for coupons online too, and in circulars. I don't bother buying anything else but FF now either. It's worth it! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have tried to give her egg yolk several times and she will not eat it. She is also eating better I was able to go out and buy her the type of food she likes. She only wants the Fancy Feast grilled food. It doesn't matter the flavor it has to be grilled. She also likes the Sheba perfect portions. She ate a can of each of those along with some dry food and treats. I will feed her again before I go to bed and since I am always up in middle of the night I will feed her then too. 

I think I have some nice gains today. 

A. 130.40 up 17.01

B. 155.92 up 19.85

C. 158.75 up 17.01

D. 144.58 up 19.85
Today's weights

A. 147.41 up 17.01

B. 164.42 up 8.5

C. 178.60 up 19.85

D. 158.75 up 14.17

Should I be worried about kitten B. I am going to weigh them again in 12 hours or so to see if he/she is still gaining a little. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten B seems to be holding his own! I would not worry, but do keep an eye out. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

janeice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your new babies are adorable!. I am waiting on my first litter too,, I have learned a lot from reading your posts. The mom just showed up one day, and now about to have kittens.