Feeding Pregnant Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am amazed at how fast they are growing they are three weeks and two days old. Their personalities are starting to come out. I have one that licks everything mostly carpet. Another is afraid of everything. She will hiss at me and the smallest noise has her shaking. They range from 12 to 14 ounces a piece. Lil Bit is in heat again I think she keeps trying to get outside. I can't wait to get her spayed. 

When can they start with the litter box? What about food? I saw one drinking from the water bowel last night. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try mush and the litter box anytime you think they are ready. They will probably not all be ready at the same time. It's a process that can take a few weeks.

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is something concerning happening with the kitten that is scared. When he gets really startled he will jump and start shaking. I have seen twice his eyes will get a funny look to them and then he will go limp and breath shallow. He calms down after a few minutes of petting and telling him it's ok. I also see him biting his paws a lot and grooming a lot. What can I do to help his anxiety. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just continue to reassure him. It's probably just his personality. He may outgrow some of his fear and shyness as he gets bigger.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday. I am thinking of cleaning out the downstairs living room closet and putting up a baby gate there. Do you think Lil Bit will be ok with this now or should I wait? I want them to get used to all the sounds of every day life and be able to play and pet them more. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try, she may move them back.  You can set up an alternate nest and let her see it.  She is going to move them soon herself.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I moved them yesterday and seemed to be unsettled. She would keep going upstairs to the room and come back down meowing. We moved them back to the room after a few hours and thought that would satisfy her. We took everything up with them. After 30 minutes she started moving the kittens. She grabbed one and I gave her a minute and followed her and she took her to the closet I had them in. She came back upstairs and started meowing and looked up at me as saying "Are you going to help me or not?"

It turns out she wanted the kittens where they were but wanted her litter box back in the other room. She is happy now she has the run of the house, looking out windows able to lay beside me on the couch and close to the babies. 

I am happy because they need to get use to the noise of the house without being terrified. 

I have also tried making mush for them. They were not interested in that or a saucer of KMR but Lil Bit had a nice extra meal. I will try again in about a week there is no rush for them to grow. It's going to fast. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good you worked all that out! I agree they are not yet ready to wean. It does go fast, doesn't it? [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen a couple pee in the litter box a few times. Still no poop. One ate wet food last night with mom but other than that there seems to be no interest in wet food. A couple has tried the dry food a few times and seems to like it. It is a all life stages grain free food and it is in really small pieces that is just right for their small mouths. She seems not as interested in nursing them. Just a few minutes at a time and then she will get up. they will be five weeks old on Tuesday.

They started climbing last night and my little sweet pea climbed over it today. I guess they are mobile now and will get more as the days go by.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried wet food with the kittens? They should be interested in starting that soon! They will get there!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried wet food with the kittens? They should be interested in starting that soon! They will get there!
I have tried every day this week even tried kmr in it only one ate it once and he seemed to love it. That was yesterday. Today nothing. 

I had to move them to my laundry room. One pooped tonight on my carpet. My bf would be so upset if he saw it, I am going to get some kitten attract litter next week to see if that will get the ball rolling. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. Kittens wean better and learn the litter box better between 6-8 weeks. Yours are getting close. I had 4 kittens last spring. One weaned late and learned the litter box late. You can put doggie pee pads on the floor to make cleanup easier. That's what I used during training - and a big, old beach towel! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lord help me she is in heat now. She started calling about an hour ago. For the last few days she can't get enough to eat. She had 5 cans of Fancy Feast and two pouches of Wiskas. That is not counting the treats. And she is still skinny as a rail. I need to find something cheaper if she will continue like this. 

The problem I am having is I try to get the little ones to eat wet food and she will not allow it. She takes their food then the dry I put out for her they have to eat because she wont touch it. How do I stop this? Can I stop it? They are five weeks now when can I have her spayed? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She can be spayed next week, at the end of this heat cycle. You are in for a rough few days though, but we've all been there before, with a cat in heat. Go ahead and set up her appointment for the end of next week.

If she's eating the kittens' food, you'll need to take her out of the laundry room long enough to let them try to eat. I'm not surprised all the kittens are not eating yet, but they will be real soon. Most mama cats want to eat the kitten food. It's not unusual. I fed my mom cat the same food as the kittens at the same time, but a few feet away. That helped some!

Do they have a kitten litter pan? The laundry room is a great place for them to wean and learn the litter box. Are you putting the kittens in the pan a few times a day?

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ll
She can be spayed next week, at the end of this heat cycle. You are in for a rough few days though, but we've all been there before, with a cat in heat. Go ahead and set up her appointment for the end of next week.

If she's eating the kittens' food, you'll need to take her out of the laundry room long enough to let them try to eat. I'm not surprised all the kittens are not eating yet, but they will be real soon. Most mama cats want to eat the kitten food. It's not unusual. I fed my mom cat the same food as the kittens at the same time, but a few feet away. That helped some!

Do they have a kitten litter pan? The laundry room is a great place for them to wean and learn the litter box. Are you putting the kittens in the pan a few times a day?
They are using the box that I have in there. I did see some in the floor beside it but it looks like it was on a foot that got drag out because there was litter on it. I don't think I will need the kitten attract litter. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Sounds like they are doing well. Like small children, they have little accidents while they are learning. You can put doggie pee pads or towels on the floor for easy clean-up. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a huge problem Lil Bit got out on Friday night around nine and has not been back since. I have gone around the neighborhood but have not seen her. I talked to the lady from the rescue and she seems to think she will be back but she has never left for over 30 minutes before. The kittens are not crying for her. They are playing and eating fine. I have gave two a little kmr in a bottle the other two didn't want it. It's been 28 hours and I am worried. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the biggest issue is that she's in heat and now likely pregnant again. Can you go ahead and get her in for a spay immediately? It will be too hard on her body to have another litter now. Really tough.

If the kittens are eating and pottying than they are probably fine. They are lucky to have you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. She's probably in heat. It's a shame she got out. You'll need to spay her right away. Glad the kittens are doing well.