Feeding Pregnant Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the results and they were negative. I asked about coccidia and they said a vet would call but they haven't. I am going to ask for blood work. Something is not right. She has had diaherra on and off since she was a kitten sometimes with blood. It always stinks. She is looking horrible she looks like she has been on the streets for months without eating. She has had five or six cans of 3 ounce wet two packages of fancy feast broths plus dry food and always within 15 to 30 minutes she is in the box. Last time it was bad she was explosive. Can a food allergy cause this? Because if she had coccidia wouldn't the kittens have symptoms too? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not necessarily. And it could also be giardia - similar symptoms. I would advise you to ask them to let you try an antibiotic before spending more money on tests. Most vets would have offered it by now to see if it would solve the problem.

Have you tried the pumpkin and a probiotic mixed into her food yet?

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to the store yet I am going tomorrow morning. I also have to go to pet smart on sunday. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would push the antibiotic, the probiotic, and the pumpkin for sure.  Can you post a photo?

And yes, it could be a food allergy.  I would try novel proteins and grain free.  Something like rabbit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

Changing food right now could cause stomach upset too. If you do a course of antibiotics, and use pumpkin and probiotics, and she's still not better, then you may want to change to a high protein, grain-free diet. As Talking Peanut said, rabbit, duck, or lamb.

But at this point, she probably has such an irritated colon from all the diarrhea that she needs an antibiotic anyway. With explosive diarrhea, she's not getting the nutrients she needs from all the food, but she needs to keep eating a lot to compensate. Poor kitty - she must be drained from all the diarrhea.

And as I said, coccidia and giardia won't show up in the fecal without a special test.

Please call the vet in the morning.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Louann Jude

Changing food right now could cause stomach upset too. If you do a course of antibiotics, and use pumpkin and probiotics, and she's still not better, then you may want to change to a high protein, grain-free diet. As Talking Peanut said, rabbit, duck, or lamb.

But at this point, she probably has such an irritated colon from all the diarrhea that she needs an antibiotic anyway. With explosive diarrhea, she's not getting the nutrients she needs from all the food, but she needs to keep eating a lot to compensate. Poor kitty - she must be drained from all the diarrhea.

And as I said, coccidia and giardia won't show up in the fecal without a special test.

Please call the vet in the morning.
Totally agree.  I meant to say that a novel protein would be the next step, after trying antibiotics, probiotics, and pumpkin.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And if it's IBD, prednisone can sometimes help. Her colon needs to heal. The blood is from irritation. They can also offer anti-diarrhea medicine temporarily to give her some relief. This is awful!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hoping you get some relief for your girl-I second the IBS symptoms-diet will need to be changed if the 3 things suggested don't work. Natures balance has limited ingredient  rabbit and duck that is not too expensive. I have seen others recommend this brand for IBS symptoms. Poor girl. If all else fails if the antibiotic doesn't work they can try a shot of prednisolone if she cant be pilled-I am curious to see if that would help. there is short term 24-48 hour shot and a long term 3 to 6 week one. Most people only use the short term one and use oral pred due to complications with side effects from the long term pred shot.

The good news is pred can be compounded into a liquid or treats from a mail order compounding vet-we will help you with this if it comes to it but for now-try the canned pumpkin and probiotics-when you buy probiotics make sure there are no artificial sweeteners in it-make sure its only the probiotic and nothing else. The vet should have a couple like fortiflora and proviable is made for the cat's system-both can be bought on amazon or your vet. Usually you sprinkle the contents in wet food daily. I have had really good luck with both as far as stopping that stinky diarrhea. probiotics help the gut bacteria get back into line-so its very helpful and wont hurt her or the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear there are fewer trips to the litter box, but I'm wondering about her diarrhea.

It sounds like the vet is responding to things from a week ago, not 2 days ago when you expressed your concerns over her being skin and bones and having diarrhea.

Have you gotten antibiotics or tried the pumpkin yet?

Is she eating lots of food now? I'm still concerned as to whether she has received trestment for her issues.

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't got either yet I will be talking to Kathy from the rescue tomorrow. I am going to see if she will have her treated Monday and I pay her back Friday. That is the only way I know to get her the help she needs. If I can't do that I will have to wait til Friday for pay day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry! I thought since you were working with the rescue that they were providing the vet care for you. Are you having to pay for everything yourself? Bless you! You are awesome! But that is tough!

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The rescue is really small and has limited donations. But I talked to Kathy and she is going to ok for Lil Bit to be seen at the vet and be treated I will pay them back for the treatments. The good thing is I get the price of the rescue which is half of the public's. That will help so much. Even Larry noticed that she seemed depressed, not herself. I just want her to be back to my baby again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's such good news! Very thoughtful of the rescue to work with you. I sure hope they can help her. When are you taking her?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her appointment is on Wednesday evening. I will keep you updated.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They started her on antibiotics yesterday and anti diarrhea meds. They also wanted me to start her on hills ID. The problem is its now the yellow color but good thing it doesn't stink like it did. They are still going to see her Wensday. My question is there a cheaper alternative to ID. I added up to feed her two cans a day plus dry will be about 150 a month. I can't do that. I am already paying close to 100 on food rent and wellness care for her. With the new food it will be close to 200. I don't want to sound mean but I am on a fixed income. I was also thinking at these prices I could feed her and Sweet Pea a raw diet and they wont get all of the junk that is in the ingredient list. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With the medicines, her poop will eventually return to normal color. The fact it smells less means something is already working. I'm so glad they got her started!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Regarding food, the Hill's ID is very expensive, I agree. Why don't you try chicken, broth, and white rice for now? It's bland and easily digestible. Maybe pick up a couple of cans of the ID to supplement to see if it helps her system.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I checked around online. Chewy.com has the Hill's ID for cats priced at $32 for a case of 24 cans. That's $1.33/can. Probably the cheapest you could find it.

I'm wondering if putting her on the ID initially while she's on antibiotics and healing might be beneficial. Or one can a day plus raw for other meals.

Just a thought.