Feeding Pregnant Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have spay/neuter appointments set up yet for the kittens?

That's good Lil Bit's poop is firming up. Is she getting enough cat food to eat? She sounds like she's starving!
She gets five or six cans of wet food a day 3 ounce cans along with dry kitten food left out all day. Before she got out she only acted like that with chicken. Now it's everything we eat. 

I haven't been able to get a hold of Kathy all week. I hope she is on vacation and nothing bad happened. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She gets five or six cans of wet food a day 3 ounce cans along with dry kitten food left out all day. Before she got out she only acted like that with chicken. Now it's everything we eat. 

I haven't been able to get a hold of Kathy all week. I hope she is on vacation and nothing bad happened. 
That definitely should be enough food and it still sounds like she's starving, which makes me think she's not absorbing nutrients.  I would definitely look into the coccidia mentioned above.

I also really wonder about keeping two additional kittens, or even one.  You seem to really have your hands full with Lil Bit and I would hate for you to remain this stressed about their care.  I know you love them all and it would be heartbreaking, but it might be something to consider.  You just never know when there will be another emergency.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need more food due to the recent diarrhea and medicine. Plus she's still nursing. More protein to be specific.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

how is little bit today?
I am so happy I got her and the kittens Friskies pate food on Friday and she has had solid poops since. She is really pissed off at me today though. I took in a foster kitten who I guesstimate is 3-4 weeks old. She weighs 13.9 ounce, 394 grams. 

The kittens weigh 2 to 2.5 pounds and will be spayed and neutered next week.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it's been a stressful few days. The diarrhea came back with a vengeance and not just with Lil Bit. All of the kittens have it too. Bandit has a little blood mixed in his and my little Sweet Pea is taking it the hardest. She has also threw up a few times doesn't want to eat enough and is pooping every where but the box and have lost 5 ounces. Finally I was listened to about the coccidia   and I get to start them on the meds in the morning. I have them all in a room where if they do have accidents it wont be hard to clean. 

There were scheduled to be spayed and neutered this Tuesday but with this everything has been moved back.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

Oh, my goodness! I'm sorry to hear this. Poor mama and kitties, and poor you too!

What meds are they starting tomorrow? What color is the diarrhea?

Are they all staying hydrated? It's very important that they are eating and drinking. Can they be given anti-diarrhea meds also?

I agree that they are too sick and weak to have surgeries until they are completely healthy again.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I have seen them all drink and eat. I also still have a lot of the anti diaherra medicine from the last time she had it. And it is yellow like mustard. Bandit had blood on his anus. Sweet peas is so bad it gets on her tail, legs and back side. She is also doing the but scoot thing. This is her today you can tell in her eyes she doesn't feel good. I have to brag on her though she knows her name really well already and she talks to all the time. She is so vocal which I love. I hope she stays that way. 

I do have a question about Lil Bit. She is getting very aggressive since her spay. She will hiss and growl out of no where then a few minutes later she will try to love on you. I swear she acts bipolar. It's gotten so bad my son tried to pet her yesterday she hissed at him and tried to scratch him. I thought they were supposed to chill out with spays. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lil Bit is very pretty! She looks tiny. And she does look like she does not feel good. Perhaps she is hissing because she does not feel well. It sounds like she just needs time to feel better and adjust to things. She's had very little time when she hasn't been pregnant, nursing kittens, sick with diarrhea, recovering from surgery, and now sick again. She's probably very stressed out from it all.

Have you given them any anti-diarrhea meds yet?

The yellow diarrhea sounds like coccidia. Do you know what meds they will get tomorrow? Ponazuril is the best medicine for treating coccidia very quickly and effectively. Please mention it to the vet.

The blood is from intestinal irritation from the diarrhea. It will stop with treatment. Are you cleaning Lil Bit and the kittens' bums with a warm, damp cloth? It will help. A tiny dab of A&D ointment will help keep their bottoms from being so sore.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lil Bit is very pretty! She looks tiny. And she does look like she does not feel good. Perhaps she is hissing because she does not feel well. It sounds like she just needs time to feel better and adjust to things. She's had very little time when she hasn't been pregnant, nursing kittens, sick with diarrhea, recovering from surgery, and now sick again. She's probably very stressed out from it all.

Have you given them any anti-diarrhea meds yet?

The yellow diarrhea sounds like coccidia. Do you know what meds they will get tomorrow? Ponazuril is the best medicine for treating coccidia very quickly and effectively. Please mention it to the vet.

The blood is from intestinal irritation from the diarrhea. It will stop with treatment. Are you cleaning Lil Bit and the kittens' bums with a warm, damp cloth? It will help. A tiny dab of A&D ointment will help keep their bottoms from being so sore.
Thank you I will do all I can for them. And thank you for all you have talked me through in the last few months. The little lady in the picture is Sweet Pea. 

Now Lil Bit is another story. She does that to the kittens too. At first I thought it was her weaning them but she will call them to come and nurse. They will be there all of two seconds and then attack them. Sometimes I wonder if they missed some reproductive tissue because she makes that awful in heat calling sound. When I go check on her she looks at me like she wasn't doing nothing. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, I thought it looked like a kitten! She's beautiful!

You've done a great job with this crew, and it hasn't been easy! It's been my pleasure to help. When do they get their meds today?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They just had their first dose of Meds and I swear keep forgetting canned pumpkin even when its on the list. But I have the antidiaherra meds. 

Thank you both Sweet Pea is amazing. I am so in love. She talks to me all the time. If I am in the kitchen then walk in the living room and she doesn't see me leave she cries for me til I get back in there. She also sleeps with me every night. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

That's so sweet! I see why you are in love with her! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

What medicine is it?

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am keeping the black one. I told my bf from the beginning that I wanted a black one before she had them. I hoped so bad there would be. So I got my prayers answered. 
Don't forget the headmistress wants one.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all precious! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Some cats never develop a taste for wet food. Not much you can do about it other than trying different flavors, textures, and brands. I've had dry food only cats live very healthy lives.

It's great to hear that Lil Bit is better. That was very worrisome.

Will you be keeping two kittens still?
Me too.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was upstairs cleaning litter boxes Sweet Pea got in and decorated it and had a solid brown poop. There was still some patties in there but its getting better. I have to laugh because it seems like an obsession with cats if they see you cleaning a litter box they watch til you are done then do their business. Also they are all perky and playing. Hopefully they will all be spayed and neutered next monday because there is a big adoption event on the 18th. Though I love them all my legs need to get healed up from scratches, lol. They all randomly come and jump up on me whether I have pants on or not and climb me.