Cookie's pregnancy/kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update, I checked on him after an hour and the wound had bit of swelling and more liquid coming out of it 😔
I cleaned it and haven't applied diluted hibiscus to it because it's only been an hour since I applied it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course, vet is your best bet. But given your vet is closed, keep the wound clean as best you can by washing the area with a clean warm wet cloth. Cats skin heals over really easily so the bigger concern is getting the infection out. A warm cloth will help draw the infection to the surface to bring it out. Mom cleaning it is fine. You do want to make sure it doesn't scab over until all the infection is out so do clean the site and apply light pressure with the warm cloth to encourage it to drain. Not too much pressure but a little. Clean it 3 to 5 times a day until you aren't seeing puss anymore.

There really isn’t any great ointment option since mom is licking it. Anything you put on, she will lick off so you are better off not putting anything on. You can continue to add the hibiscus to the water since that could help with wound healing.

The biggest thing really is, keep it clean, get the infection out and if it gets worse see your vet.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, vet is your best bet. But given your vet is closed, keep the wound clean as best you can by washing the area with a clean warm wet cloth. Cats skin heals over really easily so the bigger concern is getting the infection out. A warm cloth will help draw the infection to the surface to bring it out. Mom cleaning it is fine. You do want to make sure it doesn't scab over until all the infection is out so do clean the site and apply light pressure with the warm cloth to encourage it to drain. Not too much pressure but a little. Clean it 3 to 5 times a day until you aren't seeing puss anymore.

There really isn’t any great ointment option since mom is licking it. Anything you put on, she will lick off so you are better off not putting anything on. You can continue to add the hibiscus to the water since that could help with wound healing.

The biggest thing really is, keep it clean, get the infection out and if it gets worse see your vet.
I've been draining it all day, it seems to have shrunk. Thank you for taking out the time to reply. I have now started to apply warm compression along with diluted hibiscus. If you have an ointment suggestion thn I can keep the kitten separate from mother and litter mates if that'll help.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I right in thinking that he needs antibiotics? I have been calling all around but no one can see him today and our vet is closed. There's an emergency vet that is basically a vet hospital and I could take him there but they are so damn expensive

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Salthish water could help some... If you could just pour freely a while....
salt with water, so you barely feel its salty... Boil up; Cool down to body temp... Rinse... Make sure the kittens dont get chilled after the watery
rinse...
It wont make any pain, this is the same concentration as body fluids. But bacterias doesnt like this.

Dont make too big a batch - heating up and cooling takes time... Also, unnecessary to spare for more than a few hours; its better to make
a new batch.

Its no hokus pokus, they do it in hospitals too.

Re ointment; you could probably try with cold pressed cocoa oil... It has some soothing and healing properties... And if momma happen to
lick it off, nothing harmful will happen to her.

C cookie-Dough

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ StefanZ
How many times a day should I wash it with salt water?
Really need to get by till Tuesday and then I can take him to his vet

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Salthish water could help some... If you could just pour freely a while....
salt with water, so you barely feel its salty... Boil up; Cool down to body temp... Rinse... Make sure the kittens dont get chilled after the watery
rinse...
It wont make any pain, this is the same concentration as body fluids. But bacterias doesnt like this.

Dont make too big a batch - heating up and cooling takes time... Also, unnecessary to spare for more than a few hours; its better to make
a new batch.

Its no hokus pokus, they do it in hospitals too.

Re ointment; you could probably try with cold pressed cocoa oil... It has some soothing and healing properties... And if momma happen to
lick it off, nothing harmful will happen to her.

C cookie-Dough
Google suggested vaseline but Google can be wrong so what do you think

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ StefanZ
How many times a day should I wash it with salt water?
Really need to get by till Tuesday and then I can take him to his vet
I dunno for sure, but its a harmless and cheap treatment.... You could easily do it several time a day.
Possibly have this hibiscus water in this too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Google suggested vaseline but Google can be wrong so what do you think
Presuming vaseline is OK, cocoa oil must be at least as good, probably better.
If you can get organic coldpressed cocoa oil, its the best... But probably just coldpresses should be OK....

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Presuming vaseline is OK, cocoa oil must be at least as good, probably better.
If you can get organic coldpressed cocoa oil, its the best... But probably just coldpresses should be OK....
Thank you so much for your help. I'm sure it'll help max get better. I'll keep you all posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I beg to differ! This is serious and needs immediate medical attention.

Any bite — even a friendly one from mom — that results in an abscess — needs antibiotics. You’ll need to see the emergency vet. Waiting until Tuesday is not good.

A vet can look at the wound and prescribe an antibiotic suspension that will have the kitten healing well by Tuesday. I do not advise waiting because a kitten this small can get sepsis from the bacteria, especially with mom continuing to lick it. There is bacteria on her tongue.

Please do not delay, despite the cost. I also do not think putting salt in the wound will help, and the wound should be left open to the air with no ointments at all.

C cookie-Dough

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I beg to differ! This is serious and needs immediate medical attention.

Any bite — even a friendly one from mom — that results in an abscess — needs antibiotics. You’ll need to see the emergency vet. Waiting until Tuesday is not good.

A vet can look at the wound and prescribe an antibiotic suspension that will have the kitten healing well by Tuesday. I do not advise waiting because a kitten this small can get sepsis from the bacteria, especially with mom continuing to lick it. There is bacteria on her tongue.

Please do not delay, despite the cost. I also do not think putting salt in the wound will help, and the wound should be left open to the air with no ointments at all.

C cookie-Dough
I understand what you are saying, I feared as much. I tried all day to get in touch with vets. The vet hospital I was talking about is open and I'll give them a call to see if they will see him. I'm very worried about him 😔

CharlotteK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would agree that you should get the kitten to the vet as soon as you can. I had an adult cat that had two abscesses last year from fighting with his brother. Both had to be opened up, drained and cleaned by the vet. He was given an antibiotic shot with both as well. They can get very sick from these. Warm compresses help, and I had to do them 3-4 times for several days after both of the wounds were cleaned by the vet, but I don't know that they will drain out any bacteria that could be trapped in there. The infections can go deep into the tissue. I would also think that a little 4 week old kitten would be more susceptible to getting really sick from an abscess.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy to report that I got an appointment for tomorrow at the vet hospital. For now he is really doing good. The swelling has become minimal and no more drainage. He is happily playing with his litter mates. So glad I'll be able to get him checked out tomorrow. Will report back after the appointment. Thank you all

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s good you had it checked out. It could have been a far worse outcome. Happy to hear all is well!