Cookie's pregnancy/kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update. All is well with Max, the kittens aren't gaining weight as before. It's about 10g a day. I believe it's because they are running around a lot. Cookie tries to feed them but they just start playing. All of them are litter trained now and they are exactly one month old. Do you think I should start the weaning process?
20230504_184137.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can certainly try! They are beautiful kittens!

Try soft kitten pate mixed with formula to make a soupy mush on a flat plate. See if any are interested. If not yet, continue supplementing and try again in another week. 5-6 weeks is more the norm, but you never know.

Once they do begin eating, they will be messier, and need their faces and paws cleaned at first. Over time you can reduce the amount of formula in the pate mix.

Weight gains are fine.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can certainly try! They are beautiful kittens!

Try soft kitten pate mixed with formula to make a soupy mush on a flat plate. See if any are interested. If not yet, continue supplementing and try again in another week. 5-6 weeks is more the norm, but you never know.

Once they do begin eating, they will be messier, and need their faces and paws cleaned at first. Over time you can reduce the amount of formula in the pate mix.

Weight gains are fine.
I just caught one eating mum's dry food. Its Royal canin mother and baby dry kibble which is small tiny pieces. He was really stuffing his face with it. The kitten managed to climb upto the bed and got to mums food
I just read on the pack and it says suitable from 1 month old kittens. Hopefully he should be OK but I've put the food further up.
I'll try the mushy wet food tonight and see if they'll be interested.
They are so small, furry and soft bones. Unbelievable how soft they are....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my kittens began eating his mom’s food at about 4 weeks. It’s a good thing, so move mom’s food back down to where they can all get to it.

They learn by watching mom eat and by trying her food — wet or dry. You want them to wean so let them go for it in addition to what else you offer tonight! It’s exciting, and your little guy sounds hungry for more than just milk!:catlove:

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens began eating his mom’s food at about 4 weeks. It’s a good thing, so move mom’s food back down to where they can all get to it.

They learn by watching mom eat and by trying her food — wet or dry. You want them to wean so let them go for it in addition to what else you offer tonight! It’s exciting, and your little guy sounds hungry for more than just milk!:catlove:
Brilliant, I'll just move it down again. They are very curious and always hungry. I'm glad they can try their mum's food as she was right there but she wasn't stopping him. Maybe she approves

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another kitten question, kittens began eating mum's dry food that is for 1 month to 4 month old kitten. It's called royal canin mother and kitten food. Today I noticed 3 out of 6 kittens had done soft poo that was stuck to their legs and paws too. What should be my next move.
Many thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cleaning up the kittens is all you can do. The messiest stage is weaning and litter training. The Royal Canin is excellent. Their poop should become firmer as time goes on.

Is that what they get for now — mom’s milk plus dry food? No wet mushy food mixed with formula?

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cleaning up the kittens is all you can do. The messiest stage is weaning and litter training. The Royal Canin is excellent. Their poop should become firmer as time goes on.

Is that what they get for now — mom’s milk plus dry food? No wet mushy food mixed with formula?
No I'm also giving them mushy wet food but none has shown any interest to it. They smell it, lick it for a second and thn go straight to dry food.
I have no problem cleaning them as I brush them everyday anyways and Corran their eyes etc but I'm just worried that lose poop would be causing them pain as I saw one of them scooting his bum on the floor after pooping.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They also get formula milk. I'm still supplementing (I think it's more for me thn them lol as I love feeding them) but also because they are still smaller than they should be.
5 weeks almost and only one weighs more thn 500 grams. The rest between 450-490
I feed them about 30 ml per kitten per day

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So one of the kittens just pooped and it was like jelly, his bum looks so sore and bottom of tail as well. Another one was crying a lot then ran to a corner and pooped slimey type. Should I continue weaning or go back to milk only. Really worried

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. Show that picture to the vet. It looks like possible coccidia. The cure for that is Albon.

It’s not the wet or dry food — it looks like a parasite infection of some sort. If it’s not coccidia, they may still need a round of metronidazole. That kills parasites and cures intestinal bacterial infections.

Clean their bottoms and tails and apply coconut oil or vaseline. You can continue weaning. They need meds asap.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Show that picture to the vet. It looks like possible coccidia. The cure for that is Albon.

It’s not the wet or dry food — it looks like a parasite infection of some sort. If it’s not coccidia, they may still need a round of metronidazole. That kills parasites and cures intestinal bacterial infections.

Clean their bottoms and tails and apply coconut oil or vaseline. You can continue weaning. They need meds asap.
I've sent the photos and my queries to my vet. Waiting for their response. Meanwhile I've started to apply vaseline to their bottoms. 20230511_102315.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve never seen kitten poop look like that unless they needed a treatment, but perhaps it is the food. Time will tell.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen kitten poop look like that unless they needed a treatment, but perhaps it is the food. Time will tell.
I've bought the medicine vet suggested, had to buy it from them as couldn't find it at the pet store. I mixed it in their milk and they drank it happily so fingers crossed. Really hope it works out

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seriously started to have doubts about my vets. The sachet vet gave didn't help the kittens at all. They still have mucusy poo. I asked them if I could deworm them but they said not until 8 weeks old. I found contradicting information online but ordered a dewormer for that's suitable from 2 weeks old. I've not given it yet but it could be parasites though mum was dewormed in pregnancy. I'm just so worried about them. They've lost 30g in 2 days. Very said keep them dry food but no wet food. I've been with these vets for years and they've been brilliant. I don't know why aren't they taking this situation seriously. Poor babies.... they are still very playful and active though. I asked the vet if I could give them pro kolin.. but they said don't.
I'm at my wits end. The other vets are so damn rubbish. It's a big chain and don't really care about anything.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So i took them to my vet again, it was a different vet at the same practice. He gave them prokolin paste and told me to give them boiled chichen and their kmr. I'm very skeptical about this advice as well. Really don't know what to do..