Can Kittens Have mother Milk & Kitten replacement formula.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve used goat milk before with one of my cat we found him literally in the road he was young and took goat milk. These kittens however showed no interest and mom ended up drinking their milk are they not to young to be weaned? They are 4 weeks
Its a little young, but not too young... If they were orphans and you hadnt no proper kmr, you wouldnt hesitate twice. :)

Here momma is in difficulties, so all are probably grateful for lessening off her burden.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a pic of mom’s mammaries? Are they just chapped or does she have mastitis?

Warm damp compresses on her mammary areas and coconut oil will help.

You can try mixing soft pate with kitten milk to make it soupy for the kittens. Put on a flat plate and see if any go for it.

Most kittens with a mom don’t begin to wean until 5-7 weeks.

Perhaps trim the very tips of the kittens’ front claws. They are probably scratching mom when they nurse. They are also getting their baby teeth and may bite the nipples. It hurts!

PineappleDaisy PineappleDaisy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you post a pic of mom’s mammaries? Are they just chapped or does she have mastitis?

Warm damp compresses on her mammary areas and coconut oil will help.

You can try mixing soft pate with kitten milk to make it soupy for the kittens. Put on a flat plate and see if any go for it.

Most kittens with a mom don’t begin to wean until 5-7 weeks.

Perhaps trim the very tips of the kittens’ front claws. They are probably scratching mom when they nurse. They are also getting their baby teeth and may bite the nipples. It hurts!

PineappleDaisy PineappleDaisy
Oh I know they are biting. When I try to give them a mixed formula they only want to eat it off my finger. They bite my finger when they do this though. How long should I leave them with formula? I heard after awhile it goes bad and they can’t have it anymore so how long until it’s not safe for consumption anymore. Since they won’t eat off a plate or something which I’ve been trying 2-3 days now mom usually gets what I make them so it doesn’t go to waste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi y’all so one of the kittens is actually using moms litter box on her own. I noticed however she has a orange poop color? It seems they’ve been eating moms dry food (it’s kitten dry food) could the switch in their diet cause this? There are no other complications and everyone seems healthy. I will give them wet food and mom is still producing. I’m guessing they are weaning themselves 😂 . They are 5 weeks as of today.