Can Kittens Have mother Milk & Kitten replacement formula.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a mama kitty who had 4 babies and needed a C-Section for 2 more. She’s in pain because they cannot give her pain medication but I’m worried about the kittens because they can’t eat at the same time? One always gets pushed out during feeding and it’s not always the same one. I’m concerned that they aren’t all getting the nutrition they need. Should I bottle feed or let them work it out or both. 😭 I Already love them so much I’m stressed and have been helping them a lil but then I feel bad when one doesn’t get milk. So I’m wondering if I could assist feed some of the kittens. (We believe she is a first time mom btw she looked really young when we found her) but she lays sideways so they can get to everything that well. Anything I can do to help her and the babies?

Can someone please answer me by the time I wake up. I’m very worried ab the little ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi PineappleDaisy PineappleDaisy

Yes, you can feed the kittens KMR as well as allowing them to nurse. If it's painful for the mother to feed them it would be better if you tried to bottle feed all of the kittens to give her a bit of a break. Are you weighing the kittens too? You should do this every day to make sure they are gaining weight.

Have a look at these articles.

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life - TheCatSite

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) - TheCatSite

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi I have a mama kitty who had 4 babies and needed a C-Section for 2 more. She’s in pain because they cannot give her pain medication but I’m worried about the kittens because they can’t eat at the same time? One always gets pushed out during feeding and it’s not always the same one. I’m concerned that they aren’t all getting the nutrition they need. Should I bottle feed or let them work it out or both. 😭 I Already love them so much I’m stressed and have been helping them a lil but then I feel bad when one doesn’t get milk. So I’m wondering if I could assist feed some of the kittens. (We believe she is a first time mom btw she looked really young when we found her) but she lays sideways so they can get to everything that well. Anything I can do to help her and the babies?

Can someone please answer me by the time I wake up. I’m very worried ab the little ones.
Yes, you can let them have kmr or goats milk, parallelly as they eat from momma.
Kittens whom have momma are often reluctant to bottle - so many uses a syringe. But its of course easier with a bottle... If you manage with bottle so continue with bottle.

You tell they can nurse momma, but one is usually set aside.
The easiest is to rotate them; ie let perhaps half of them be with momma and nurse, and a hour later, next half...

They use to sleep when satisfied, or lie in a heap, so during the time, you let nurse the others...

This way they dont need to fight for place, and its calmer for momma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom should feel better soon, but they should have sent her home with pain meds. There are non-opioid ones that would not harm the kittens. Was mom also spayed during her surgery?

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

PineappleDaisy PineappleDaisy
Yes mama was spayed but I assume he didn’t have a non-opioid. We live in a small town so we really only have one vet. He said no drugs but she’s doing better she doesn’t seem to be in any pain as of now.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can let them have kmr or goats milk, parallelly as they eat from momma.
Kittens whom have momma are often reluctant to bottle - so many uses a syringe. But its of course easier with a bottle... If you manage with bottle so continue with bottle.

You tell they can nurse momma, but one is usually set aside.
The easiest is to rotate them; ie let perhaps half of them be with momma and nurse, and a hour later, next half...

They use to sleep when satisfied, or lie in a heap, so during the time, you let nurse the others...

This way they dont need to fight for place, and its calmer for momma.
They seem to switch out on there own during feeding it’s not the same one getting put out but different ones during feeding. I still try to help rotate them though I figure by day 3 they should be strong enough that I no longer need to get involved. She is also laying more on her back now so they can get in there well but one still wonders around each time.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi PineappleDaisy PineappleDaisy

Yes, you can feed the kittens KMR as well as allowing them to nurse. If it's painful for the mother to feed them it would be better if you tried to bottle feed all of the kittens to give her a bit of a break. Are you weighing the kittens too? You should do this every day to make sure they are gaining weight.

Have a look at these articles.

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life - TheCatSite

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) - TheCatSite
I don’t have a scale but the babies seem to be doing well mama is rolling on her back more during feeding trying to give them more room. I will try to get a scale when I can though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you weighed the kittens yet?

Weighing daily is the only way to know if they are gaining, losing, or maintaining.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! Get a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Kittens gain by grams when small. They should gain 6-10 grams per day — or more — for now.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent! Get a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Kittens gain by grams when small. They should gain 6-10 grams per day — or more — for now.
Do you know how much 2 day old kittens should weigh? I think I’ll get one today if the store has them in stock.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy kittens are usually born weighing around 100 grams or more. Anything under 90 grams is considered a premature birth weight.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Healthy kittens are usually born weighing around 100 grams or more. Anything under 90 grams is considered a premature birth weight.
Thank you so much I’ll start tracking their weight as soon as I get a scale. 😁

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much I’ll start tracking their weight as soon as I get a scale. 😁
Experienced rescuers often manage without a scale; they are used to feel the weight by hand, and also, see if they are thriving... Its alike a pro, cook, photographer, you name it; whom seldom goes after recipes but just see everything by a glance and experience...

But for all others, less experienced, a scale is a must... Its the easiest and quickest way to know what is going on.
ALSO, it gives you occasion to look and see the at least once a day... Disasters HAD happened because people thought you shall not disturb a mom with kittens, and let them be without any inspection for many days... And so they were for example; eaten alive by fleas...

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Experienced rescuers often manage without a scale; they are used to feel the weight by hand, and also, see if they are thriving... Its alike a pro, cook, photographer, you name it; whom seldom goes after recipes but just see everything by a glance and experience...

But for all others, less experienced, a scale is a must... Its the easiest and quickest way to know what is going on.
ALSO, it gives you occasion to look and see the at least once a day... Disasters HAD happened because people thought you shall not disturb a mom with kittens, and let them be without any inspection for many days... And so they were for example; eaten alive by fleas...
Well mom doesn’t have any fleas that I’ve seen but also we have runt he’s kinda smaller he was the first one to come out. He’s doing great though actually. They are all thriving as of right now 😄 I just figured if I got a scale I would know if they are eating enough but they usually eat every 30min-1hour.

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well mom doesn’t have any fleas that I’ve seen but also we have runt he’s kinda smaller he was the first one to come out. He’s doing great though actually. They are all thriving as of right now 😄 I just figured if I got a scale I would know if they are eating enough but they usually eat every 30min-1hour.
excuse the blood but this everyone.
FE7229EA-1B2B-433B-B845-C57C48203CA1.jpeg

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone it looks like all the kittens but 1 weigh around 100 grams. Runt weighs ab 80-90 I’m not sure. I have an old scale for right now waiting on a better one I think I’ll order a good one. All the kittens are ok. Mama cat is losing the stitches on the outside already I assume because the kittens are clawing a lot. Is this bad seeing how her C section was just yesterday. I’m worried that it might open? It doesn’t look like it will at the moment though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apply coconut oil to her stitches and scar area and trim the very tips of the kittens’ claws.

Please get a good scale and post exact weights for me.

Right now the kittens’ weights are a bit low. They need to start gaining more or you’ll need to supplement, especially with the runt.

Are all six able to nurse at the same time or do they fight over nipples?

Is mom eating well and as much as she wants?

PineappleDaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apply coconut oil to her stitches and scar area and trim the very tips of the kittens’ claws.

Please get a good scale and post exact weights for me.

Right now the kittens’ weights are a bit low. They need to start gaining more or you’ll need to supplement, especially with the runt.

Are all six able to nurse at the same time or do they fight over nipples?

Is mom eating well and as much as she wants?
She’s eating wet food we’ve been giving her the kitten formula to help her milk supply. The kittens can all get on at once now because she’s able to roll on her back more but they usually do fight. They fight really rough actually even growling I believe. The scale could be wrong which is why I’m gonna order a scale with same day delivery though so it should be here in the next day or 2. Coconut oil won’t harm her incision area? I can show a pic of it also

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, coconut oil is non-toxic to the kittens and has healing properties. Kitten claws are sharp, so trim the very tips with tiny nail scissors or clippers. Mom will thank you.

Since the kittens are fighting, try rotating 3 on and 3 off every couple of hours. It’s important they all get plenty of time to nurse in peace. They need to gain weight.

Put the three who are “off” in a separate warm nest; then switch.