3rd Kitten was born, Please help me.. again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Margd

@StefanZ

@talkingpeanut

@sarthur2

I have good news

and bad news

Good news: It drank some milk

Bad news: everything else.

So, Went to the vet. He basically gave me the ultimatum, if he drinks the KMR, good, give him anything he'll take. If he doesn't, he will die, nothing he can do because the clinic or any clinic in Saudi is not well equipped enough.

He said if I had brought momma 2-3 hours after her FIRST baby he could've given her some injection so she would produce milk, but now she will not be producing milk.

So I last fed him 4:40 PM, It is now 9 PM, I tried to feed him fresh warm KMR and he has drunk a huge... 0.48cc. (I'm using a syringe now..it's working better, no spitting)

So what I think is, the moment we take him away from big momma he starts crying and is too busy crying to actually drink any milk.. but if I try and feed him close to momma then momma is too busy biting his freakin head off and being super possessive to let me feed the poor guy..

So yeah guys. I'm giving him whatever he will get. I basically give him very slow drops through the needleless syringe until he tries to turn his head away. I'd rather not wait till he spits it out because last time I did that blood came from its nose and you know what happened after :/

Pray guys, pray, and also any advice.... 

P.S I plan on feeding it again at 11 PM so it's actually a bit hungry..

Last edited:

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely no expert, but I'm currently syringe/bottle feeding an underweight five day old kitten (for the first time). The first couple days of syringe feeding him made me so frustrated. All he did was cry and he never seemed to get the hang of it. But the third day, he suddenly latched and all has been going perfect ever since. Please don't lose hope in this little guy, I know it's hard and feels impossible at times. Watch videos on how to syringe feed a newborn kitten. I wrap my boy in a fuzzy blanket burrito and stroke his head a few times. Your baby is probably crying because he's starving. Once he gets the hang of it, you and he will be fine. Just persist and don't lose hope!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten fussy if you don't feed him? The mother may be producing milk, but you can't express it. This isn't unusual, even in humans (my mother could never pump to get milk for a bottle but we got enough naturally). You may be interfering where it's not needed. Generally, a kitten who isn't getting enough milk is fussy and restless, or, if it's gone on too long, lethagic and weak. If the kitten is content but strong, he's probably getting enough milk.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@lexlovescats   I'll be sure to watch thank you.

@Willowy  I've never ever seen it feeding on mommy. The kitten cries a lot so I don't think its being fed

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@lexlovescats
  I'll be sure to watch thank you.
@Willowy
 I've never ever seen it feeding on mommy. The kitten cries a lot so I don't think its being fed
I think you should feed the kitten every hour, not wait for it to be hungry. Is mom licking the kitten to help it eliminate?

The last kitten did not die from overfeeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, feed every hour. The kitten will get accustomed to being supplemented. Mom will too.

Last edited:

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I didn't know how to warm up the formula which is already in a syringe.. (i cant really dip it in hot water since it'll dilute the formula right?).. I threw it away and filled it again with fresh warm formula. After almost 2 hours it took 0.1cc before refusing again. so yeah. He's not drinking a lot at all.

I did see some milk on one of the teats of the mother but uh I'm not sure it's the moms because when I squeezed the teat nothing came out.. hmm. I also saw the kitten try to suckle but it didn't quite latch on and after it did, I let it "drink" for a few minutes after which i took mom and checked that teat, sure enough, nothing, even when squeezed.

I'm confused as hell.

tagging again sry

@sarthur2  

@StefanZ  

@talkingpeanut  

@Margd  

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I didn't know how to warm up the formula which is already in a syringe.. (i cant really dip it in hot water since it'll dilute the formula right?).. I threw it away and filled it again with fresh warm formula. After almost 2 hours it took 0.1cc before refusing again. so yeah. He's not drinking a lot at all.
I did see some milk on one of the teats of the mother but uh I'm not sure it's the moms because when I squeezed the teat nothing came out.. hmm. I also saw the kitten try to suckle but it didn't quite latch on and after it did, I let it "drink" for a few minutes after which i took mom and checked that teat, sure enough, nothing, even when squeezed.
I'm confused as hell.
tagging again sry
@sarthur2

@StefanZ

@talkingpeanut

@Margd

Make a small amount of the formula at a time in a bottle or jar. Then heat that in warm water, and only put in the syringe when you are ready to feed.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut  Okay will do.

So I have somehow forcefed it 0.55c more by putting the syringe in its mouth again and again

after like 0.2cc She spat some of it out, I wiped and continued slowly doing it. 

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by forcefeeding.. but she's only had about 2ml in 12 hours... if that.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Urine will be clear when the kitten is hydrated. You may not get milk by squeezing mom's nipples. This does not mean the baby is not getting anything. Please let the baby nurse mom. I feel like it must be getting food from mom since it is not hungry.

Can you weigh the baby? That is how you know it is gaining weight. This answers the big question.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2   I cannot weigh the baby, and I think it's nursing mom aswell.. but.. the vet insisted the mom is not producing any milk at all.

I am incredibly confused..

Also if the kitten is dehydrated how do I go about hydrating it...? Should I continue forcefeeding it aswell or? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No. Please let it nurse mom for now. Let her care for it. I do not think your vet is always correct.

Can you get a scale?

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  uh a commercial human weight scale wont record grams.. so no not really.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of course a human scale will not work. A small kitchen scale is normally used to weigh kittens in grams.

In the U.S., kitchen scales are available in many shops. I'm sure they are sold there too.

A scale will relieve you of having to guess if the kitten is getting enough food and gaining weight.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  ye that's not really available easily here, i mean a city 80km away might sell it but uh, here no way, I'll try and borrow it from a shopkeeper or something but its unlikely sadly. Is there another way I could weight it? I'd guess not..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2
 ye that's not really available easily here, i mean a city 80km away might sell it but uh, here no way, I'll try and borrow it from a shopkeeper or something but its unlikely sadly. Is there another way I could weight it? I'd guess not..
Do you have amazon or another online delivery?

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut  I have amazon which'll take about 7 days minimum with double the cost of the product, I have a local amazon-esque place which'll take 8-10 days.. uhh.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut I have amazon which'll take about 7 days minimum with double the cost of the product, I have a local amazon-esque place which'll take 8-10 days.. uhh.
I would get a scale, however you can. It's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.