2 babies abandoned...just some questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Time to switch the litter and bathe the babies
I have tried to bathe, well wipe with gusto, to no avail. Do I just need to put soapy water in the sink and drench them? I mean, you do know we're talking cats here...like despise water and will scratch your eyes out to get away from it, cats...but I'll try if that's what you're saying!
My husband has some leather work gloves and a leather jacket, maybe I'll darn those and give it a whirl!! lol

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, give me your thoughts on newspaper litter. I saw several websites yesterday about it and it seemed that people had good results. I'm trying to do ANYTHING to not spend money and that seems like the most frugal thing in the world besides using dirt from the yard - I live in the desert so it's actually sand.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my kitten had trouble with clay litter (played in her water dish then walked through the box), we washed her feet with dawn dish soap and water. It takes a bit to get the clay off, but it does come out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feel free to use sand or shredded newspaper. Both work well. Better than clay litter!

Kittens this age are fairly easily handled in a bathroom sink full of water and Dawn. Do not submerge past the neck, but in warm water they will usually relax. Just dry them off well and off they go. Have the towels right next to the sink! :)

Or you can dip their paws only - whatever works.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feel free to use sand or shredded newspaper. Both work well. Better than clay litter!

Kittens this age are fairly easily handled in a bathroom sink full of water and Dawn. Do not submerge past the neck, but in warm water they will usually relax. Just dry them off well and off they go. Have the towels right next to the sink!

Or you can dip their paws only - whatever works.
Maybe your kittens are lol...my diva Amber, let's just say we call her diva for good reason lol
Here goes nothing...I should video this! lol

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All it really takes is to run the kitchen sink water until it's a nice warm temp, hold by the scruff and rinse the paws off, the litter basically dissolves and down the drain it goes.

Nobody mentioned to you that with young kittens, clumping litter is a big no-no anyway, they try to eat it, or even sniffing it they get too close and it gets on/in their mouth.

This can be a big problem obviously.

Non clumping is cheap and easy until they are 8-9 weeks and have mastered the box :)

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know how the baths go!
It went just fine...I was worried about nothing. Sophia is still a little mad at me, but nobody was harmed in the process!

The tables have turned though...Amber is a rockstar! She is the first to drink KMR from a bowl, and today she ate a little moistened dry food. Sophia on the other hand, who I figured would be the first to do anything because she was so social, will only eat the mush I put out. I gave her her last bottle today because she stuck a claw so far in my thumb cuticle if felt like she was shocking me! She was not happy tonight when I never brought her a bottle...hate to break it to her, she'll either drink milk out of the dish - which she is very capable of - or she's just going to be mad. Harsh I know, but good gracious that HURT!!  They are both thriving...gaining weight, playful and loving!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ouch! That does sound painful.

Of course she did not mean to hurt you. And she has no idea that she did hurt you. She was probably just excited for her bottle.

Hopefully she will transition to lapping her milk soon.

I'm glad the baths went well.

It sounds like it was a big day for the kittens today :).

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a big day for all of us...my daughter starts kindergarten tomorrow. I've been an emotional wreck on the inside all day lol

I caved. I gave her a bottle. I just don't understand why she still gets so crazy..:she's getting a bottle every 3 hours.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're only about 4 weeks old.  She may not be ready to give up the bottle yet.  Weening takes time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad you caved.

She gets excited because it not only fills her tummy, but it offers her comfort. Receiving a bottle is akin to mom offering her a nipple. It's like when human babies get excited for bottles. She thinks you're her mom. Bottle babies tend to bond exceptionally strongly with their humans.

They are both still babies. They would still be nursing mom otherwise anyway.

I'll bet your daughter will have a blast at kindergarten tomorrow. It's exciting! It's another milestone. * Sniff *

Post a couple of new pictures of Amber and Sophia when you get a chance! :)

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I've gone and done it now. Sophia and Amber are both mad at me and they both have diarrhea :( I am beyond broke, I mean like $1.00 in my checking account...I spent the last $13 I had on formula for the kittens - but had to get GNC milk replacer weaning formula from PetSmart. It was less expensive than the KMR and twice as many oz of powder. I am going to have to scrape up change to go get some wet kitten food.

I am doing my absolute best to be able to keep these kittens, but I'm not sure I'm going to succeed. I need any and all advice you guys can give me (without any shaming or finger pointing) on what I need to do, as spending little to no money.

Sorry this is coming across as some sob story from somebody looking for a handout...I'm just praying that against all odds, I can make this work. Katy will be devastated too if I have to give them up.

On a brighter note, Katy started transitional kinder yesterday and absolutely LOVES it!! I will post a pic of the babies and my baby soon!

Thanks again and sorry for the dramatics!!

I forgot the best part!!! After being litter box trained for a week and a half, Sophia is so mad that she is peeing on the floor...not even close to the litter box!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure what your question is.

Are you asking advice on feeding the kittens, or about how to convince hubby to let you keep them?

Or how to treat the diarrhea?

When do you get more money?

Last edited:

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't even know lol. I didn't really put a question did I? Sorry about that. Do you think it was too early to give them the weaning formula? Before I bought it I read the label to make sure it was safe for them, and it seemed they were on track to be able to have it.

I don't get more money...I'm in school and got my last unemployment check a week ago :( I'm thinking that if I get more wet food for them they will perk up and back to their norm...I think maybe I'm just feeling like I'm doing something completely wrong. I'll admit, I need a hug and a "it's all going to be ok"  :D

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH and I'm considering going back to the clumping litter and just giving the little boogers a daily bath...they use the sand, but man oh man is it hard to get diarrhea out of non-clumping sand!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok. Let's work through this.

When did the diarrhea start? When you changed formula? How often is it? What consistency?

When did they have their last wet food?

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea started when I changed the formula, I believe that was Monday. It occurs several times a day and is the consistency of water.

They had wet food this morning, Amber will eat it, Sophia wants nothing to do with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. There's your answer. You need to go back to the other formula.

Diarrhea can be life-threatening. Do you have clear pedialyte? You need to give them both a bottle of pedialyte.

I don't know how finances are managed in your house, but you really need to find a way to return to the other formula and of course, the wet food.

The clumping litter is fine. Kittens learn quickly. You can wash their paws off.