2 babies abandoned...just some questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't be the first person to name a kitten with a girl's name only to discover it's actually a male.

I did it with my black kitten. Thought it was a girl because being tiny and all black it was hard to tell. I was correct about my other three. Then one day it became very apparent! I quickly changed the name! My early pics to relatives and friends include the female name in the captions - lol.

So you own a prince and a princess now
 At least now I know why Sophia is so vocal and needy and "James" is mostly laid back, but doesn't like to get dirty lol

They seem to be back to their old selves this morning. Still have a little diarrhea, but Sophia did gain a little weight. James lost .5 oz, but he ate like a horse this morning, so I think he'll be fine! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray!

Now that James is no longer suffering from an identity crisis, I'm sure he'll become a little man :).

Are they on their pedialyte formula and wet food? Has Sophia decided to drink the formula now?

I'm glad the diarrhea is better. Changing food does that. If you stick with it they will adjust.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they have been getting pedialyte with wet food, and I've been making their formula with pedialyte. I stopped giving them bottles yesterday, and imagine - they are taking milk from a bowl. :) They do still have diarrhea, from the formula I'm guessing, but they are eating wet food like champs. I just put down some dry food covered with pedialyte to see if they will start eating that.

At what age are they usually weaned from formula? Oh ! and they are both a pound now. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pound is great! They can be weaned from the formula around eight weeks old or when it runs out.

I'm hoping the diarrhea subsides soon. What does it look like? It's not normal for diarrhea to continue indefinitely. :(

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's the right color, just not quite solid yet. I'm thinking about putting them on twice as much wet food and cutting back the formula. It isn't reg formula - it's weaning formula, I think it's kind of like the difference between 2% and whole milk - the weaning formula is richer. But like I said they are eating wet formula great. I'm hoping that they will try the moistened dry food too, that would make life so much easier! :) I usually put any leftover wet food in the fridge and when it's time to eat again just heat it for a few seconds and add to it - that way I'm not wasting so much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think cutting back the formula is a good idea so the diarrhea will stop.

However, the royal couple should stay on wet food for a few months. They really need it while they are developing.

Eventually they can live on just dry food, but it's too early. Warming the leftovers is what I do too. I don't like wasting food!

Last edited:

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get concerned...I gave the babies wet food w/ pedialyte twice today and Amber (she's the only one awake right now) still has diarrhea. I got brave and decided to study it - it is really mucous-y. I googled it and one of the sites said to cut out food (not water or I guess pedialyte in this case) for 12 hours and see if that helps.

Thoughts? Amber doesn't act like she feels bad, she's very playful and active.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not yet, can't afford it at the moment

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this close enough to you to help?  @Fyllis found the info for another thread.

You might want to start here: Orange County: The Orange County SPCA's Pet Rescue Fund provides financial assistance for homeless and rescued animals, as well as pets of low-income residents of Orange County. Call (714) 374-7738. If they can't help you, they can probably refer you to someone who can.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not withhold food!

What color and consistency is the diarrhea?

How often does it occur?

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is this close enough to you to help?  @Fyllis found the info for another thread.

You might want to start here: Orange County: The Orange County SPCA's Pet Rescue Fund provides financial assistance for homeless and rescued animals, as well as pets of low-income residents of Orange County. Call (714) 374-7738. If they can't help you, they can probably refer you to someone who can.
Thanks! I'll call them for sure! :)

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do not withhold food!

What color and consistency is the diarrhea?

How often does it occur?
It is dark brown, a little thinner than pudding maybe, with mucous.

Every time they poop. Which is 3 - 5 times a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's diet.

Are you still giving them the formula? Stop if you are, because this is when the problem started.

You need to get canned pumpkin and mix some into each of their wet food meals. It will help with the diarrhea.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's diet.

Are you still giving them the formula? Stop if you are, because this is when the problem started.

You need to get canned pumpkin and mix some into each of their wet food meals. It will help with the diarrhea.
No formula since their first meal this morning at around 7:00. I may actually have some canned pumpkin. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray for a free vet check. Tell them about the diarrhea.

And I am very impressed that you have pumpkin in the house. It should help.