2 babies abandoned...just some questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You must have missed the conversation about getting the weaning formula because it was more affordable. That's what started the diarrhea the first time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tara715

My first suggestion would be going back to the original formula. They're still little, and it's good for them. Kittens do not outgrow the sucking reflex until they are about 4-5 months old. Many times when they have no mom and no bottle they will search for something to suck. I think sucking the bottle would be good for James. But not the formula that gave the diarrhea. He'll be better adjusted if he can suck longer, but it's your call due to cost.

Last edited:

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries...sorry, that probably came across rude - totally not intentional. Thanks! I will try that and see if he will take it.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T tara715

My first suggestion would be going back to the original formula. They're still little, and it's good for them. Kittens do not outgrow the sucking reflex until they are about 4-5 months old. Many times when they have no mom and no bottle they will search for something to suck. I think sucking the bottle would be good for James. But not the formula that gave the diarrhea. He'll be better adjusted if he can suck longer, but it's your call due to cost.
If I could afford it, I would absolutely go back to the original formula. :)

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet appointment went well. Kittens are 6 to 7 weeks old and very healthy. Doc said no worming yet, let's leave their diet be for 2 weeks and see how their stool is. After that we'll talk about worming.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After finally sitting down and looking at dates, I'm officially saying the girls are 8.5 weeks old. :) They are doing great...driving me nuts just like kittens should. :) Amber is still wanting to suckle all the time - which I know is because of not having mom - is there anything I can offer her in place of the palm of my hand? She wakes me up in the middle of the night, which was cute for a day or 2, now it's causing me to lose sleep. =\ I thought about a baby pacifier but think that would be too big. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need a meal. I rescued a tiny kitten when my daughter was 8 years old. This kitten climbed on the bed and nipped my nose at about 2am every night for months. She was HUNGRY! So, I got up and fed her a wet food meal, and she would then go back to sleep. She finally outgrew this when she got bigger, but it was like having a baby again. That "kitten" is now 10 and my daughter is 18! It's "her" cat.

So, my suggestion is to give her a meal before you go to bed. See if that holds Amber. If not, offer a dish of kitten milk or some wet food when she wakes you up. She will outgrow this, but it could be awhile.

I know that my kittens, who are six months old now, graze throughout the night. I still put down a bowl of wet food for them every night before I go to bed, and it's gone in the mornings. They never wake me up, but they also still have their mama.

So I'm hoping feeding her at night will help. Additionally, you can also offer her a blankie with the corner square soaked in kitten milk. Maybe she'll suckle on that.

tara715

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding them right before bed, problem is...I go to bed at 7:30 lol. I'll have to just give them more at their last feeding I guess. I was about to sew a bottle nipple into a blanket. :) Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well then, that explains it. Amber's hungry. You either need to leave extra or get up in the night and feed him. He might still need the blankie too.