Yea or Nay Turkish Van

k2366

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted the cat, the previous owner claimed she was part Maine Coon but I don't see it. However what I do see is my babygirl very much resembles a Turkish Van. Everything I've read about the Van and how it relates to my little lady I can honestly say yes that's her. As you can see the tail is somewhat bushy and ringed and Calico coloured, Colour on the head are essentially limited to earcaps. Body is snow white with small spot on right side midback.
What do you think?

No matter what she is I can only say she's a prize gem and I'm blessed to have her.

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned something just now - I didn't know Vans could be anything other than red and white.

No idea whether she is, but your girl is all gorgeous, regardless.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you don't have pedigree papers with her, the best guess is domestic longhair. Cats don't need to be Turkish vans to display the van pattern. However, she might have some Turkish van ancestry somewhere (vancestry? 😆). She's a gorgeous kitty, anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k2366

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As you don't have pedigree papers with her, the best guess is domestic longhair. Cats don't need to be Turkish vans to display the van pattern
Let's assume your' correct for arguments sake, then it would make perfect sense that as a domestic she would have two coats, correct? Also my understanding regarding a felines coat is that there is only two breeds in existence that have a single coat, Maine Coons and Turkish Vans, correct?

That was one of the first things I checked on Luna and I did confirm she only has one, that to me indicates that her pedigree despite the lack of papers is very questionable, a reason for the lack thereof could be due to any number of reason(s). She could very well be a purebred and since DNA testing cannot confirm nor deny her purity (I researched them as well) that question would then remain being completely debatable. The only person that could possibly answer my query would be Luna's human birth parents. All indicators behavioral and physical do support her purity IMO.
She is/has the softest and silkiest coat I have ever felt in the 60+ years I've owned and been exposed to cats.