1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All is well and the newborns kind of look like mice! So tiny!

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought as well. They look like mice. I got some super cute pictures.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured I would mark the different black ones by coloring on two pieces of painters tape and wrapping a piece around two of their tails.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I intend to try the nail polish thing soon! But I have to go buy nail polish, all of mine is gel polish and I don't feel too safe using that.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I intend to try the nail polish thing soon! But I have to go buy nail polish, all of mine is gel polish and I don't feel too safe using that.
Lmao...I'm imagining someone giving a tiny kitty a gel manicure...spa day! Cucumber on the eyes, open milk bar, litte itey bittey kitty massages, tiny magazines to read while they wait. Oh I'm having fun (translation- delirious from the heat)

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They finally came and I missed it! 6? Good heavens! Lots of work ahead, but it's such a magical thing watching them grow. Best wishes and good luck! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need advice and quick!

The runt of the litter, born at 81g, is down to 79g and I have not seen her try to suckle at all. I have tried to bottle feed and syringe feed but she will not take it at all. I'm desperate, she seems weak. I have tried rubbing sugar water on her gums. I have tried leading her to a nipple over and over, she won't latch, and only burrows into her mother.

Please help. 

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say she won't take the syringe, what do you mean? You may have to force her on it a bit, but it's one drop into the corner of her mouth at a time, whether she likes it or not.

You can try wrapping her in a towel first.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you say she won't take the syringe, what do you mean? You may have to force her on it a bit, but it's one drop into the corner of her mouth at a time, whether she likes it or not.

You can try wrapping her in a towel first.
I have tried to do that, she squirms so much that I just cannot get any in her mouth. It winds up on her chin. I have managed a few drops but not much.

I will try the towel idea. Thank you

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried to do that, she squirms so much that I just cannot get any in her mouth. It winds up on her chin. I have managed a few drops but not much.
I will try the towel idea. Thank you
A few drops is better than none. She needs the food. Keep trying!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few drops is better than none. She needs the food. Keep trying!
I think the few drops may have done the trick! The baby latched! I'm so happy. I hope she continues doing well, I can't stand the emotional pain of losing any one of these babies. I'm already attached

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I need advice and quick!

The runt of the litter, born at 81g, is down to 79g and I have not seen her try to suckle at all. I have tried to bottle feed and syringe feed but she will not take it at all. I'm desperate, she seems weak. I have tried rubbing sugar water on her gums. I have tried leading her to a nipple over and over, she won't latch, and only burrows into her mother.

Please help. 
If you used common sugar, its not enough, it needs to be digested.  You must use some glucose sugar source.  For example honey.  Have some honey water instead.  As glucose sugar goes into blood already in the mouth and lips.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the few drops may have done the trick! The baby latched! I'm so happy. I hope she continues doing well, I can't stand the emotional pain of losing any one of these babies. I'm already attached
That's great! Can you continue trying to supplement every 2 hours for now? You want to make sure she is steadily gaining and holding her own.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that additional supplementing with both runts is in order.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, just took their (about) 12 hour weights, a few are over 12 hours, a few are at, and a few are under 12 hours.

Some are gaining well, some not so well. I'm thinking maybe mamas milk hasn't come in all of her nipples yet, or maybe not enough.

Kitten 1- 89g to 91g          gain of 2g

Kitten 2- 102g to 107g     gain of 5g

Kitten 3- 93g to 93g :(      gain of 0g

Kitten 4- 89g to 93g          gain of 4g

Kitten 5- 81g to 80g :(      loss of 1g total, initially lost 2g, has gained 1g back

Kitten 6- 96g to 104g       gain of 8g

How much should I supplement? 

Last edited: