1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

pitrikapril

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe our kitties will have their kittens on the same day!
That would be awesome:) my cats just lounging around today..a little diarrhea but otherwise she seems like her normal self. I am so glad I am not the only nervous preggo kitty mom! Makes me feel not so alone..my husband thinks I am nuts and she'll do it without needing assistance but I can only worry as No No is my Bebe!:-)) have fun tonight!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for mama!

She's still pregnant, of course! Any day now but I've gotta say, I'm becoming more patient now that I know the day she mated! Tomorrow will be 65 days, I'm hoping it'll be right on time. Of course the kittens are welcome to come out any time now!

I went out yesterday before my date (which was also fun) and spent $50 on canned kitten food for mama and eventually her babies. The science diet canned foods, and Sheba wet foods which is the usual I buy. I bought a few new kitty toys, including a long feather on a stick which Mama LOVES. She actually got a big aggressive which I've never seen before. She growled at me and played tug-o-war with me! I'm sure it's her hormones, or she thinks she's a dog ;)  I bought her brother Zeus a dog harness (he's a big boy, too big for cat harness) and leash because he's been dying to get out of the apartment life, so I'm going to start the process of teaching him to walk on the leash! He's doing well in the harness, and I figured I'd share a picture. :)

I took him out inside the apartment building itself, to check the mail. We walked down three floors together, and he did really well! He seemed a little afraid at first but he's so curious and friendly he was himself within two minutes. If anyone has tips on walking a cat let me know also haha

Hopefully soon he'll be ready to check out the park next to my building.

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many cats love going for walks! It is recommended for certain breeds. Glad it's working out!

The babies will be here soon. And you sound prepared,no reason to be anxious anymore. Thank you for the update. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking cats is fun.  Vaccinations should be up to date, as well as flea meds.  I use Revolution on my leash walker.  Be aware of dangerous/toxic plants & stuff i.e. lilies, oleander, car fluids, animal feces.  Most are only dangerous if ingested but if your cat steps in something then likes his feet, or gets lily pollen on his fur and grooms - viola! it's ingested.  Animal feces can pass on diseases/worms from sniffing - according to my vet, keep at a distance.  Bee stings are unpleasant, i keep telling Eclipse this but he insists they would be fun to catch and possibly delicious to eat.  I hear ladybugs can also make your cat sick.

Don't plan on getting to the park too soon, your cat will want to explore outside  the front door and walk at first.  Then there is the lying in the sun and on the wall, rock . . .  Even if it isn't your idea of a walk, it the cat is enjoying himself, it's a good walk.

Cars driving down the road, especially loud trucks are scary - be prepared for your cat to look for a safe haven on the run.  Eclipse is also afraid of large dogs and joggers.  I make a point to say hello to everyone who walks by even on the other side of the street so he sees they are friendly.  Don't go out if there are fireworks or could be.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
handsome kitty handsome kitty thanks for the tips :) he's up to date on everything as well as flea prevention. We spent some time exploring the inside of the apartment building today and he said hello to a few kids who came in. I think we're making great progress for day two!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for mama, she's still pregnant. Taking her armpit temp is 2.5 average degrees lower than her siblings. I know they've gotta come out in the next few days and I'm excited :)
She's had a bit more discharge, and I haven't been seeing much kitten movement the past few days. She's sleeping almost all of the time. If she isn't eating, shes sleeping on the bathroom rug :)

Very poor quality picture but I feel it captures her "done with being pregnant" vibe

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep. That's how they get. She's getting there! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for mama for her 65th day of pregnancy.

No signs of labor, I've gotta admit the impatience is back with a vengeance! I've been letting her spend time with the others as per usual since she doesn't show any signs of imminent birth. She hasn't really "nested" per say. She doesn't seem to have settled in one specific spot, she just lies in the areas I've put out for her but doesn't nest or anything. She's probably clueless as to what is coming! I've called the vet office to let them know about how we suspect she mated on the 10th, and it had to of been then really. They told me to let them know if there are any issues and if she hasn't given birth by the 19th to call and bring her in, but I'm sure she'll give birth on time! Just a little later than the average, unless she goes into labor in the next few hours!

I'll update if she goes into labor, or tomorrow as the usual!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try not to worry. Cats usually head for their nest at the last minute. It's instinct to keep it clear of smells for would-be predators.

She will get there. I think your vet gave good advice, since we now know there was a mating on the 10th, and possibly after. She'll go into labor soon. Hang in there!

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is in labor! The mucus plug came out is a decently large glob, that's normal, correct?
She is having small but decently frequent contractions, and she won't sit still poor thing

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's in birthing position. Won't be long now

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has that gray sac of kitten coming out, it hasn't moved for several minutes and she is just eating.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help! The first kitten has been born! 5:34 AM born breach. She wasn't interested at all but now she is cleaning her baby, she ate the placenta

She isn't milking at all, no colostrum either. How long can the baby go without food? 89g birth weight

She won't let the baby nurse but she is purring and cleaning the baby but the baby is crying

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Help! The first kitten has been born! 5:34 AM born breach. She wasn't interested at all but now she is cleaning her baby, she ate the placenta

She isn't milking at all, no colostrum either. How long can the baby go without food? 89g birth weight

She won't let the baby nurse but she is purring and cleaning the baby but the baby is crying
The weigh lowish, but not alarming so.  They can be without first food several hours -  I have seen examples of over 24h when they even survived, but this is of of course not optimal...

What do you have at home to supplement?  dropper / syringe,  kmr / goats  milk,  glucose sugar/dextrose - or some other glucose source as white caro syrup and honey?

If you dont have any kmr or goats milk, you can begin with a home made pedialyte -with this glucose sugar, a little salt, and water...  so you will buy time.

Its rare the milk never comes in. But sometimes it comes very late.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update! I freaked out a bit! Kitten 2 is out. Will weigh him/her when mama takes care of things. Born at 6:43 am, also bI have everything needed to supplement if I have to! I was just worried as she wasn't even letting the baby near her at firstreech.

Last edited by a moderator:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2nd baby! Seems like a gray tabby, maybe just a brown tabby, hard to tell
102g

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update! I freaked out a bit! Kitten 2 is out. Will weigh him/her when mama takes care of things. Born at 6:43 am, also breech.
Ok, so we KNOW the explanation - the birthing is still on. Its common they dont want to let kittens nurse, milk or no.

Yes, kittens can usually wait till the birhting is over.

but good you DO have the reserves waiting, if need be.