1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

toriandmojo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just started reading your posts -- good luck! I thought surely she'd have had her kittens by the time I finished reading through them all, but it appears not!

Any bets going on? I feel like today's gotta be the day! @newkitties- are you getting any sleep?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
T toriandmojo thanks! By her behavior I was sure that she'd have them by now, especially last night I was sure if it by the discharge and colostrum! But her water is still intact and there hasn't been anymore discharge. So it can be any time to even a week from now as a possibility!
I didn't get sleep for a few days (besides tiny naps!) but I've been sleeping the past two days pretty regularly, I've just been waking up every few hours to check on her.
Her original anticipated due date is between the 7th and 11th (my vet said most likely by then) give or take a day but we are approaching the 11th fast and she has stopped showing signs! She still has colostrum, no more discharge and she is eating normally, but not like a cow anymore. Last night as I'm sure you read I was very sure she'd have them but as of 5am now it doesn't seem like it! Hopefully later today/tomorrow, like I say every day [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for 7:30pm 5/9:

She cried out several times while I was sleeping (I just woke up not long ago, I was up all night until past noon so I just slept during the day) and I woke up and made sure she was fine.

She was of course. I changed her food and water.

Though she managed to get under the bed! She got herself stuck though and I'm sure regrets her decision to try. I had to slowly pull things out to get her out. She won't go near the bed now though. 

Hopefully she isn't too stressed out by getting stuck. :(

If these kittens don't come tonight I might actually scream!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, my! That was an adventure. Does she seem to be laboring at all?

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's probably okay, but hopefully she won't try again. My goodness, this cat keeps me guessing. The only comfort is that it'll have to happen eventually.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think she's laboring at all! It's so strange. I'm pinning her behavior down to her being young and a first (and only) time mom, and she's probably aware something is happening and has been acting upon that.

She panted a few minutes that one night and nothing since. I haven't seen anymore discharge since two nights ago, and I haven't touched her nipples but I assume there's still colostrum that can be pulled out.

I've been taking her temp in the armpit for several days (I'm just hoping that it pertains to her though it's unlikely) she was several degrees lower than her brothers (her sister wouldn't let me get her temp, she kept rolling for belly rubs and wouldn't hold still!) several days ago, her tempt went up to .5 lower than her brothers when she had diarrhea, which was a normal temp. And this night/morning (4:30amish) she was back down to about 100.7F after adding several degrees. I plan on taking her temp again later when she's sleeping, if I can find the thermometer since one of her brothers decided to take it and stash it away!

I'm not too sure what signs of laboring would be good indicators, besides the obvious like her water breaking and hard labor. Those seem like the only way I'll know since she's been showing signs of being super close for a week now! I'm sure she is okay too, she doesn't seem in distress, just fat and uncomfortable. She is a bit restless when she's awake but she spends 90% of her time sleeping the past week. Perhaps tonight will be the night, perhaps I have to wait another several days! She seemed like the type to show many signs right before, but as is seems now, she's the type to toy with my emotions and I think it will be a pretty sudden thing for her. :) 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All you can do is be patient now. It's hard waiting though. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, it's is very hard waiting! Especially since I've been staying home pretty much 100% of the time! The only time I leave is for five minutes to run to the gas station across the street, or for biweekly grocery shopping. Which makes it even more difficult waiting like this because I have nothing to do but online classes, watch netflix/hulu, and clean around the apartment. This is all I've got to look forward to until the end of summer when we move into a house!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! They will keep you busy after they get here, especially when the kittens start to wean and leave the nest! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, my! I remember that waiting game! I hope she delivers soon!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She really has messed with my mind lol. I thought for sure she was finally in labor the last time. Perhaps you're right, they'll come quickly when they finally do. [emoji]128516[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's fair to say she's an odd one!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has diarrhea again, and it's a light brown/yellow color. Is that normal prior to birth it is something wrong? How can I help her out? Also it was a pretty small amount. I had to wipe her bum for her as she's having trouble grooming there.
There seems to be more discharge around her vagina again, with a tiny droplet of dried blood.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, cats do get diarrhea before or during labor. I imagine it's her hormones gearing up for the job ahead, and cleaning out her system.

You can give her some plain canned pumpkin. Cats like it and it helps the diarrhea. Otherwise, she just needs to stay hydrated.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I was mostly concerned about the color. She's been keeping hydrated. A few days ago when she had a ton of diarrhea it was a medium brown/normal color. The yellow/pale color made me wonder if something was wrong

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about the color right now. The discharge and drop of blood tell me that she's going into labor soon if she's not already.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure hope so! They've gotta come out sooner or later. I figured we could guess how many kittens she's gonna have. I guess 3, my boyfriend thinks 5!

Last edited by a moderator: