1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  I know, hopefully mother nature is on my side today! Quick question, do cats' hips "seperate" when they are close?

I know she hasn't lost any weight, she's eaten like a horse her entire pregnancy minus a few days. But her hip bones are sticking out quite a lot. They've been sticking out about a week now but it's getting noticeable when she's just lying down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens have probably "dropped" lower in her belly, so it appears that her hips are sticking out. This happens towards the end of pregnancy in preparation for delivery through the birth canal.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This all sounds like progress towards labor and delivery! Poor momma, hope her tummy settles. The last days pass so slowly. Keep us updated! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She keeps finding a way under the bed and I have crammed everything under there including a suitcase, vacuum, skateboard, blankets, boxes, and my makeup bag! She's determined! I'm going to try and move her crate and open the closet (it's in front of the closet) so she has ANOTHER option haha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this point, she sounds determined to be under the bed. Maybe the closet will work. My cat had hers in a dark closet in the corner. Stayed in there for 3 weeks with them.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd love to let her do her thing under the bed, as its high enough up for me to fit under there, it's just very tight and my bed is very very heavy, so I just can't risk it. I hope she likes the closet enough. She spends a lot of time in the laundry basket and a little time in the cage but she seems to have her heart set on the bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have them under there no matter what you do. Cats are like that. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that would be awful! She has to cram her way in there and I'm certain there's not enough room for her and kittens. She does love the closet and is rarely allowed in so hopefully we chooses there :)

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was panting earlier today, and stopped after a while and hasn't started again. She's toying with my emotions for sure [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Frustrating, but she'll get there soon. Sounds like she was having some pre-labor. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine tried to get under the bed a few times the day she delivered. I ended up moving her to a spare bathroom so she couldn't completely hide and she was fine. If she truly wants to have them there and has access to it, she just might.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dug up my 8ft caterpillar stuffed animal and stuffed it in the center, and took apart some boxes and blocked off around the bed. There's no way now she could get under there. I let in my escape artist Hera and she couldn't get under either, even after trying to tear down the boards, so I'm pretty confident I got it this time! I moved her crate alongside the desk (the bedroom is 14x14ft so it's hard to fit a big bed, desk, office chair, end tables, crate and other nesting spots without cramming it all together but I made it work luckily) I moved my dresser into my closet, and put pillows underneath it and a wood board in front of it, put a dark sheet down (my favorite sheet but it's the only one not in use except white ones) so she now has access to half of the closet, her crate and nest in there, under the end table, under the desk, and the laundry basket. If she isn't satisfied I'm just gonna have to take apart my bed and lay the mattress on the floor alone! She's pretty content in the closet.
I vacuumed one last time, and I will again in two days if she isn't in labor as I don't want to disturb and scare her after birth so I'm prepared for my carpet to get pretty dirty in the coming weeks!
I think her and I are set now!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully tonight/early morning will be the time! Of course I've said that now for 5/6 days [emoji]128514[/emoji] She's acted so weird for a solid three weeks now, though the past week has been crazy, and had discharge, colostrum, she's went from hating tum rubs to loving them the past two days, eating like a horse to not eating and then eating again and now she's not eating! I swear she is the sassiest little tabby alive, I've been around pregnant dogs before (my mom bred golden retrievers for a few years when I was small before she passed) and they are a piece of cake compared to mama cat here!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldn't even vacuum again. Just leave her area be for now and let her settle. She really should have them soon. The more settled she is without interference, the likelier her labor will come sooner rather than later. Keep us posted. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I'll be sure not to vacuum again! I did three days ago and today, I moved her into the bathroom for it but the bathroom is connected to my bedroom.
I hate stressing her out but I've got long thick hair and health issues to where my hair falls out in chunks and it drives me insane! Hair, fur, and god knows what else on the floor. I guess I'll wear my hair in a braid for a while haha.
I will keep everyone posted for sure

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry about your health issues, and I hear you about cleanliness. I'm a clean freak too, but pregnant cats really need peace and quiet and no change at the end. Thanks for understanding! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am convinced she is never having these kittens!