Wondering when the kittiens are going to make their debut...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! and

Day 6 weigh-in

Zeus- 195.2g ---> +15.7g

Hercules- 176.9g ---> +21.8g

Ares- 188.7g ---> +14.7g

Aphrodite- 167.9g ---> +13.4g

Athena- 179.5g ---> +13.9g

Looks like Ares will be the first to open his little eyes. His right eye is just barely starting to open from the outside corner.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I will definitely be asking her more and more questions over the weeks as we talk. She's moving back to Northern California from Southern California [apparently her house was being broken into multiple times, etc, and she couldnt take the stress so she's moving back home] in a few days and will be taking about 3 weeks to get settled she said, and after that I will try to set-up some face to face time to talk things over as well as to get her socialized to the babies :) She said she has 2 small dogs, one 4 lb and one 7 lb who are accustomed to having a cat around [she had two cats before when she moved down South but couldn't have one in the place she was moving to so they now live with her daughter in Merced]. No small children, all of her children are grown and out of the house. And she never said anything after I told her I wouldn't allow them to leave earlier so I assume she's fine with that as she expressed more interest and pointed out the two she wanted. I'll also be asking her to sign a spay/neuter contract.
Sounds good on paper! Hopefully it will work out as I love seeing any two get to stay together. Fingers crossed! 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember the kittens are far too young for visitors at present.  I would wait until they are 5-6 weeks old, and make visitors wash their hands first and leave their shoes at the front door.  At that age they are getting quite confident walking, running and jumping and are charming beyond belief.  Watch very carefully how visitors handle them, and how they relate to mum cat.  And as mentioned above, talk to them about their previous pets.

PS if you have people who are interested, keep sending them photos and progress reports.  That should keep their interest!

Last edited:

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember the kittens are far too young for visitors at present.  I would wait until they are 5-6 weeks old, and make visitors wash their hands first and leave their shoes at the front door.  At that age they are getting quite confident walking, running and jumping and are charming beyond belief.  Watch very carefully how visitors handle them, and how they relate to mum cat.  And as mentioned above, talk to them about their previous pets.

PS if you have people who are interested, keep sending them photos and progress reports.  That should keep their interest!
All excellent advice, this is what I do as well. People can not visit in person until at least 5 weeks of age, but I take new pics every week and am always sending updates on how the kittens are doing.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input. I'm definitely taking what you all say and putting it to good use with possible adopters.

Day 7 weigh-in [ the kittens will be 1 week old about 9-10 hours from now, depending on which one ;) ]

Zeus- 209.9g ---> +14.7g

Hercules- 185.3g ---> +8.4g ((should I be alarmed? Or is it expected they're not always going to gain the massive amounts they have been?))

Ares- 206.8g ---> +18.1g

Aphrodite- 179g ---> +11.1g

Athena- 196.8g ---> +17.3g

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he's just as active as them and nursing when they are, even fights his sisters away from the nipples sometimes. I'm hoping it was just a slower day for him.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All excellent advice, this is what I do as well. People can not visit in person until at least 5 weeks of age, but I take new pics every week and am always sending updates on how the kittens are doing.
I know I started intros with this batch early but we are having a crazy kitten season here. We have had more than a dozen pregnant Moms and 60 abandoned kittens brought in in the past month and only have 4 kitten foster homes. Normally I do the picture updates but this family just lives down the street so I let them come by and peek a few weeks early since they were locked in. Also, my apartment is so small poor Momma and babies don't really get much privacy (though I do fiercely sanitize as does anyone that comes over), but I suppose that is the trade off. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Hercules' drop in weight gain. As long as he keeps gaining and is continuing to develop some fluctuation is normal. 

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news tonight! I have a local and friend of a friend who is interested in Aphrodite. I've been talking to her, she has 2 cats- indoor, both fixed. Wanting one more, no small children. Just her and her partner. Sounding like a great candidate so far!!

nikkigrant99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I just felt her tummy and am wondering if there's more- I can feel a distinct, hard lump still. She doesn't seem agitated or in pain- just purring and laying comfortably nursing her babies. I know some people say it can 'feel like there's one but there's not' but really if there isn't another i'll be SO surprised it's very distinct.
i just felt sashas tummy and it feels like a hard kitten size lump. im wondering if your mummy still has this lump u felt. im now worried it may be another kitten 

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think it is, I could "feel" another kitten with my both my girls but one more never came. I am not sure what it is but I dont think it bad.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The lump went away I sincerely thought it was another kitten but I did research and apparantely it's their uterus tightening back up after giving birth.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 1 weeks old as of 6.30-8.30 this morning!

Day 8 weigh-in

Zeus- 232g ---> +22.1g

Hercules- 200.6g ---> +15.3g

Ares- 218.7g ---> +11.9g

Aphrodite- 197.5g ---> +18.5g

Athena- 211.2g ---> +14.4g

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to put the total they've each gained so far, I was planning on doing that every 4 days [not to mention they are 1 week old!!!
] I am VERY happy to say that in their first week of life, they've all doubled their weight!

Zeus went from a 110.7g weigh-in at birth to 232g! A total of 121.3g gain so far!

Hercules went from an 87.8g weigh-in at birth to 200.6g! A total of 111.8g gain so far!

Ares went from a 102.2g weigh-in at birth to 218.7g! A total of 116.5g gain so far!

Aphrodite went from a 94.1g weigh-in at birth to 197.5g! A total of 103.4g gain so far!

Athena went from a 100.6g weigh-in at birth to 211.2g! A total of 110.3g gain so far!

I'm really happy with the kittens progress and hope they continue thriving.

nikkigrant99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thats amazing weight gain! i hope they continue thriving as well. hope my kittens have put on today will be weighing them later on.

thanks for putting my mind at ease a little. sasha came through to my room a couple of times last night. she meowed a few time as if to get me to come for labour again but then when i came down she would just be purring at getting patted. i dont know if maybe she just wanted some alone time with me or if maybe it is another kitten? she wouldnt come up on the bed she wanted me on the floor with her. what do you think?should i ring vet and see what they say? she is very happy with kittens constantly purring and any time they meiow she trys to find the one thats upset. she eating(ive had to hold dish for her as she didnt want to leave them)and drinking and has been to litter tray.kittens are quiet most of the time you get the odd one making a noise if its hungry but overall they seem happy. so im thinkin thats a good sign and that they are getting fed enough, as thought they would moan more if they not?its half 7 here and vets dont open till 9, and i weighed them at half 11 yesterday. i dont know what to do im desp to know everything ok, should i weigh them see if they gaining enough? how would i know if it is just uterus or kitten?

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's just the uterus, i was almost 100% positive it was going to be another kitten I even thought I felt it moving sometimes but it was just me over-analyzing things and she's been completely fine. If she's having continuous contractions then you should take her to the vet.

In other news, little Ares is still working his eyes open. Both are open just the tiniest bits in the corners, one a little more than the other. None of the others eyes have started opening- and a few of the kittens seem EXTREMELY more fuzzier than the others. Wondering if i'm going to have some long-hairs on my hands :) Should you be able to tell that from birth?

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, today's weigh-in confused me a bit. My biggest boy [Zeus] gained only .3 grams today. I don't know if this is to be expected, I mean he gained over 22grams the day before. Hercules also gained less than 7 grams. But I ran out and grabbed some bottles and KMR, and am going to weigh him in 4 hours [6 hours from when I last weighed him] and see if he's gained any. If not I believe i'll start supplementing every once in a while, perhaps mommas milk is already running out?

Zeus- 232.3g ---> +.3g

Hercules- 207.1g ---> +6.5g

Ares- 229.4g ---> +10.7g

Aphrodite- 210.4g ---> +12.9g

Athena- 230g ---> +18.8g

poes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, today's weigh-in confused me a bit. My biggest boy [Zeus] gained only .3 grams today. I don't know if this is to be expected, I mean he gained over 22grams the day before. Hercules also gained less than 7 grams. But I ran out and grabbed some bottles and KMR, and am going to weigh him in 4 hours [6 hours from when I last weighed him] and see if he's gained any. If not I believe i'll start supplementing every once in a while, perhaps mommas milk is already running out?

Zeus- 232.3g ---> +.3g

Hercules- 207.1g ---> +6.5g

Ares- 229.4g ---> +10.7g

Aphrodite- 210.4g ---> +12.9g

Athena- 230g ---> +18.8g
It's ok. Don't overanalyze it ;) The weight evolution is pretty good, and I wouldnt risk feeding them KMR at the moment. They can get pneumonia and die pretty easily if you dont feed them correctly. 

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give mom some kmr. She will love it and it will be a nice boost to help her produce milk.