When To Introduce New Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, four more months and there has been a breakthrough of sorts.

The wrestling between Barry and Duncan has gone down from constant (it felt like it anyway) to maybe once a day. Duncan is a little less jealous and instead of wrestling Barry when I'm petting him Duncan will hover nearby for pets too.

Barry has always been shy and mostly "my" cat. He will come to me for pets but still occasionally will shy away. I can swoop in on him from above with a quick head or butt scratch and he often rolls over exposing his belly. With my wife, he has finally gone from running away to accepting a pet or two before moving out of arms reach. Barry has been consistently following both of us around the house and is now very comfortable with us. The breakthrough: We had a party Saturday Barry came out of hiding and watched some guests who were over at the tail end of the party AND was coaxed down with treats to interact with some of the guests. It sounds like a stupid little nothing - but for him to be out with a bunch of people around was huge.

BTW: Barry wants Duncan to be his BFF - head butts, rubbing against him, walking next to him and grooming all the time. Duncan is warming up to all of this but does not quite reciprocate except for some grooming (bite-lick-lick-bite-lick-lick)

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For eight months, Duncan has been fighting, and losing, a turf war. First he held onto everything except the downstairs bathroom, then ceded the downstairs and retreated up a level and held the main floor, then retreated some more and held our bedroom as his own, and finally he had just our bed as his last stand. He protected the bed fiercely and successfully - until last night.

Duncan was snuggled up in my armpit purring and sleeping when Barry hopped up, picked a spot by my legs and slept there for at least an hour until I moved to much for his comfort. The cats even groomed each other a bit while they were settling in.

And some pix:

Usually when Duncan puts an arm around Barry like that the next thing that happens is a tackle - but not this time.

Birdwatching together on a window shelf

These were about a month ago. Duncan was elsewhere so Barry snuck up on the bed for a nap with me.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that is great news, they'll probably always have the odd spat but things seem pretty harmonious.
I love the way Duncan puts his paw around Barry, that’s just the cutest thing.
I’m so pleased for you

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, there was a real milestone passed the other day. We had our Christmas party last weekend and Barry hid the entire time except at the very end when the crowd thinned out and he watched from the top of the stairs. He still ran and hid if anyone came near him, but at least he was seen by someone besides my wife and I.

The real shocker was Boxing Day - smaller but still loud gathering of family - about halfway through Barry comes out, down the stairs and hovers around the edge of the people, eventually laying down in the living room with everyone. He still ran if anyone approached and he drifted upstairs now and then, but he came back on his own and was right there on the edge of the action. And as a bonus - he took a few treats from my 10-year-old niece's hand.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow that is amazing, for him to do that he must have felt safe. It sounds like he is really coming on.
I’m so pleased for you

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

It has been a long road to get here, but at least it wasn't too rocky. There were no real problems, just time to build trust. My wife only recently has been able to just reach down and pet him, and he still doesn't "let go" and really get into the petting session with her.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’ll take a long time but he’ll come around & learn to relax more. The more positive reassurance he gets the better.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, apparently its me. Yesterday we again had company and Barry was hiding - until I got home from work and then he came right out of our bedroom without being called. Walked around and even played a bit with a 4-year-old who is a little loud and rough.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww bless him, he must feel so secure & reassured around you.
Have you tried Feliway Friends? It helps cats that are a little nervous, you just plug it in & it emits a calming scent that cats react to.
You can’t smell it though.
If you’ve not heard of it make sure you get Feliway Friends not the basic Feliway. The Friends one is for multi cat households.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This Saturday will be one year with Barry. He is night and day from day one. He actively plays with both my wife and I, he follows both of us around the house and he adores Duncan (and they still wrestle, but there is grooming and play in there too). His progress has really exceeded my expectations - I thought the best he would do is to allow us to be in the same room with him.

I have been getting him used to being picked up - just from the floor to the bed for pets. He used to get the splayed out panicking legs and hop right off the bed. He has slowly relaxed and just hangs there and then sticks around for pets afterwards. Yesterday was great though - he was purring as I moved him!

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow I can’t believe it’s been a year.
I’m so pleased that Barry has come in so much, he sounds like a very happy contented cat. Well done you

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We recently moved, and it was traumatic for a couple of days for the cats and then it was just weird for them - they have a much bigger and very different place to get used to and the prior owners had a dog. We've been in the house since April 27.

I think the move readjusted their relationship - they are now closer to peers. Barry adapted to the move quicker and better than Duncan but they are both fine now. Barry is a little more skittish with us at times, but at other times he is just a love bug. He sleeps press against us in bed occasionally.

Last night was the best though - I got about 5 minutes of petting and loud purring from Barry. He was doing figure 8s for pets and kept coming back for more. When he decided he was done, he plopped down about 5 feet away from me and kept purring loudly and making biscuits in the air.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it’s great that they have settled well & I love that Barry let you pet him for a while.
I love hearing how they are both getting along

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New developments - Barry and Duncan have been getting on great. The both seek each other out and hang out together. They wrestle here and there, but no big deal.

The big news, to me, is that Barry has started to meow. I used to get the odd funny meow out of him at feeding time but very rarely. Like once a month, one meow and done. For the past few days he has been meowing to get my attention and to get me to come to him. It works. Last night there were a few meows throughout the night and this morning I got two good solid meows out of him when petting him. This is in stark contrast to Duncan who talks all the time and has maybe 8 or 10 commands that he give us.

The shelter we got him from said that he might never purr! And I never expected much vocalization out of him but it seems like we are getting there. Barry has also ramped up his affection and will change his direction so that he can get a chin or cheek rub and at times will REALLY lean into it. I'm seeing lots of belly too (look but don't touch with Barry).

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Go Barry, that’s brilliant news, it must be so lovely to see him come on day by day.

Duncan is such a handsome boy, he looks full of mischief.
Happy Birthday Duncan!!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mischief is the wrong word for Duncan. He is actually very well behaved but he can be crazy and vocal and persistent and curious at times. But I have to say, he is very affectionate and tolerant. One of the most common comments about him is that he is like a dog.

Barry is my little secret. I'm trying to get my wife to play with him more so he opens up to her too because she doesn't believe me when I tell her how affectionate he is. He likes her and follows her around and lounges around her but he is just reserved enough when she comes around that he pulls back on his affection. Hard to explain but he is more reserved when there is anyone else around.