When To Introduce New Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Duncan and Barry are getting along like best buddies. No spats, just enough chasing and wrestling and generally peace.

So we added Paisley this past Monday - The boys are a little out of sorts, but very accepting - a hiss here and there from Duncan, but nothing bad or long lasting. Barry is all for another member of the family.

They aren't sleeping together or grooming each other, yet, but they have been loose in the house all morning and are getting along good enough.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww Paisley is sooo gorgeous. It’s really good news that Barry & Duncan are ok with Paisley.
The odd hiss is normal, Duncan is just letting Paisley know. They’re obviously very accepting of Paisley, I can’t see you having many problems with the three of them being together.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Adding Paisley to the mix really changed Barry. Barry, it seems, is a cat's cat. Barry is now much more vocal, calling out to Paisley and running and playing with her. Paisley was "stuck" on some furniture one day and Barry came running in meowing at her.

Barry is both a little more stand-offish to me (neither boy knows exactly what to do with the kitten) and a little more friendly. I got a nice long petting session with Barry after I laid down next to him on our bed, then he hopped off but came back after a few minutes for more petting. He's getting there - I think he will be sitting next to me on the couch by spring.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So for the third time in two weeks Barry slept on the bed with us and Duncan for most of the night. I don't know what is more amazing - that Barry hopped up and slept with us or that Duncan let him stay!

I know I moon over Barry, but he is an amazing cat who has come so far since we first met.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Barry is now regularly sleeping in our bed. Often pressed up against my wife. Apparently, last night he slept with me and kept pressing against my legs and I kept moving away - woke up cross wise in the bed almost. Barry and Duncan also started the night piled on top of me with no problems.

I think adding Paisley to the mix is like adding dither fish to a tank. She took Duncan's laser-focus off of Barry and everyone settled into a good routine

And pix:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So this happened on Saturday. I'm on the couch watching football and Duncan hops up and goes to sleep. A little while later Barry hops up and climbs over Duncan to take a nap too.

To me, this is pretty amazing because Barry has never gotten on the couch with me AND for almost an hour Duncan held back and didn't go nuts and do that aggressive grooming he does to show he's the boss.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Barry's progress has really exceeded all expectations. Duncan and I were napping on the couch yesterday and Barry hops up to join us. It took me a while to figure out that it was Barry - it was just so out of place for him.
Barry may just become a lap cat after all!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Barry turned 3 yesterday. I don't know what happened, but in the last month or so he has gotten overtly friendly and damn near cuddly. There are now long petting sessions and he actively seeks out being pet. And there is much more friendliness and affection between him and Duncan now too - non-aggressive grooming mostly. Somehow I think the addition of the third cat, Paisley, helped this change come about, but no matter - I'll take it.